Shuttle Wars, Monogram vs Revell, Part 20 is up at the following link:

Apologies for the audio drop off in the final segment. You might have to turn your volume up a bit when you get to it. I am not sure what is causing it. The camera is in the same place for every video session, and I am sitting in the same place I always am, talking in the same voice. Maybe the audio gain is turned down when the battery charge falls below a certain level. I will try leaving it plugged in and see if it still happens.

Blog and pics are here.

Thanks,

Gil Gregg

Edited by DutyCat

Hi Gil, really enjoying the Shuttle Wars build. Can you tell me where you can get the other shuttle tiles, and has this bloke got a web site. Trevor.

Thanks. I am glad you think the videos are helpful. I am trying very hard to help shuttle builders with their projects. That was the main reason for the Shuttle Wars video series...figure out what works and what doesn't and document it all.

As far as the decals....the guy's name is Ed Bisconti. No web site that I know of. I bought my set off of ebay. However, I have not seen them listed for some time. Ed's ebay handle is scifi88. You might try sending him an email through them. He is also on Facebook.

I heard a rumor that he has experienced some health concerns and may no longer be selling. I have no idea.

I could easily tool up and sell the decals alongside my beany cap, but as Ed is the owner of whatever changes he has made to the now defunct Cutting Edge sheets, I do not know how ethical that would be. I could also just make scans available for anyone to print their own. Again, a potential copyright issue. I would not do anything like this without his blessing. I sympathize with folks wanting to get their hands on them and not being able to. If Ed is unwilling or unable to sell anymore, someone could take over is product line if he was willing to let them.

Edited by DutyCat

Varrrrdy interestiiing... I like this approach and I like where this is going. I don't know that I have the patience to outline all of the blankets with styrene but I'm sure it's going to come out great! Keep up the great work. Oh, and the audio wasn't that bad. I was thinking it was a huge drop. I could still hear ya fine.

Bill

Gil,

I agree with Bill, this is a very interesting approach. As they say, there's always more then one way to skin a cat(no pun intended). I can't wait till the next video.

BTW, The audio didn't drop off by all that much.

Mike.

The volume was just fine Gil ... not to worry!

I must admit to being very curious to see how this texturing turns out ... it sure is lot of tedious work applying those styrene strips ... and trying to picture the 'zimmerit' texture ... it may be too far outta scale ...

I do like your subtle sense of humour, like the subtitles about how many times you've said something! I also agree with you about the colouration of the Cutting Edge decals and I'm glad to see Mr. Bisconti's decals. They look pretty good!

Are you still gonna do BOTH the Revell and Monogram kits? ... or are you just focussing on the Monogram now? F'instnace, Cutting Edge decals on Monogram, Bisconti's on the Revell?

Thanx for posting the video Gil!

Pete

The volume was just fine Gil ... not to worry!

I must admit to being very curious to see how this texturing turns out ... it sure is lot of tedious work applying those styrene strips ... and trying to picture the 'zimmerit' texture ... it may be too far outta scale ...

I do like your subtle sense of humour, like the subtitles about how many times you've said something! I also agree with you about the colouration of the Cutting Edge decals and I'm glad to see Mr. Bisconti's decals. They look pretty good!

Are you still gonna do BOTH the Revell and Monogram kits? ... or are you just focussing on the Monogram now? F'instnace, Cutting Edge decals on Monogram, Bisconti's on the Revell?

Thanx for posting the video Gil!

Pete

Pete,

Yes, the styrene strip application is tedious, but it is the cost of doing business with this experimental technique. The hardest part is the design...meaning looking at the diagrams and pictures and trying to determine as precisely as possible where the different blanket borders are in relation to each other and airframe components around them. Mistakes and compromises will be made. In any case, just like the tiles, it is impractical to get everything perfect and exact with a manual technique such as this. There are hundreds of little pieces on a compound curvature. So at best, all the tile and blanket work will be representative, but it should look nice.

The zimmerit tool that I have has two "grains." One is very fine and should work. The large scale texturing you see on some tank models is really not what it is going to look like. Once I get the strips down, I am going to sand them down quite a bit, spray the white putty mix over them,and then have at it with the zimmerit tool. After the texturing is complete, I will lightly sand it all again, the hope being that the strips will emerge as borders between the bankets. We will see how it goes.

Thanks for the comment about the humor. A little bit of personality can make what might otherwise be a boring video a little more enjoyable.

The Revell shuttle is still in the mix. It will be finished out and compared to the Monogram as promised. I am very disappointed that I could not retain the bulk of the tile detail on the Revell kit. There is just no way to bridge the major part transitions and eliminate the seams without destroying adjacent tile detail. So, I am considering alternatives to represent the tiles. The good thing is I was able to keep the tiles on the tail and OMS pods. I know the tile is out of scale, but at least it is there. It can be representative, if not entirely accurate.

About the decals.... My inclination is to go with a combo of LE (gray) on the bottom of the orbiter, and Ed's(black) on the sides.

Gil

Edited by DutyCat