1/48th F/A-18C Aggressor

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update- all small parts and details now done and its time to start painting.

Here's the model in the mock up stage, before breaking down for priming and painting.

Mockupone_zps03e2900c.jpg

Hopefully the colours I have chosen will match the real deal?

Shaun

Edited by ShaunBD
  • 2 weeks later...

After a break for other things (RIAT Airshow and my little boy's birthday) I've finally got round to making progress on the Hornet.

I've finally started to paint the build, this one has fought a little to get to this stage.

I tried Humbrol no1 primer on this one, what a mistake!

It sprayed O.K, but dried to a very course finish. Normal a quick rub with some cloth will buff up the surface, not this stuff! I had to wet and dry sand the whole model and then the residue dried to a hard paste which then needed sanding and washing again.

Anyway here is the model after all the hassle with the primer coat-

Primeraftersanding_zps3a9f7a2f.jpg

Last night got the preshade on, I used Revel No9 for preshade work.

Preshade_zps9cafc1b9.jpg

This week hopefully I'll make a start on the main scheme

Shaun.

Looks great and thanks for sharing your work. Anxious to see the final paint scheme applied.

Quick question about the primer - if you had problems with the Humbrol #1 and would not recommend that, what is the best primer to use?? I've struggled to find a good primer that is thin, can be buffed easily, and dries quickly. Any suggestions??

Jim

fillingslat_zps1003892e.jpg

filledleadingedge_zps606aef88.jpg

Beautiful work on those dropped flaps, Shaun. Jeez, that must have taken some doing. So you're saying that with the Hasegawa kit, you can do either position whereas with the Revell kit, you gotta look at "major surgery"?

Looks great and thanks for sharing your work. Anxious to see the final paint scheme applied.

Quick question about the primer - if you had problems with the Humbrol #1 and would not recommend that, what is the best primer to use?? I've struggled to find a good primer that is thin, can be buffed easily, and dries quickly. Any suggestions??

Jim

I would not recommend the Humbrol primer, I won't be using it again!

Get Mr Surfacer if you can, I've used it on other models with nice results.

Shaun.

Beautiful work on those dropped flaps, Shaun. Jeez, that must have taken some doing. So you're saying that with the Hasegawa kit, you can do either position whereas with the Revell kit, you gotta look at "major surgery"?

The Hasegawa kit comes with the flaps set to half, on the real Hornet they normally droop to full with the power off.

I bent the flap hinges to lower the angle of the flaps, it can be done but take your time.

The Revel kit does not have dropped flaps so would require a lot of work and cutting to lower them.

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...