Doctors take a long shot and inject HIV into a dying 6-year old girl.

So far, according to the article, its only worked in 3 patients. So they're a long way from making headlines w/ it. But its a HUGE step in the right direction for sure.

Why is this not making world headline news???

A discovery of this magnitude...

-Al

Why is this not making world headline news???

A discovery of this magnitude...

-Al

Putting on my conspiracy hat for a moment; It's because large pharmaceutical companies are trying to squash it? They've already refused to fund the research. They certainly wouldn't want a cure that could cost them billions in revenue.

From what I've read, there have been a number of significant breakthroughs over the past decade that have been squirreled away.

Putting on my conspiracy hat for a moment; It's because large pharmaceutical companies are trying to squash it? They've already refused to fund the research. They certainly wouldn't want a cure that could cost them billions in revenue.

From what I've read, there have been a number of significant breakthroughs over the past decade that have been squirreled away.

This is exactly why. Their primary goal is profit, everything else secondary.

I have a relative who is a lawyer for a medium-major pharma company and he's told some /very/ interesting things to ponder.

It's a crying shame that money (revenue) is the driving force behind these successful experiments being squashed. So many more adults and little children could be saved if companies would stop being greedy. I'm glad that this little girl made it. At least one child beat the odds and beat the almighty love of money!, but for one child surviving, many more sadly don't. But the CEO still gets his big fat bonus and drives home in his little BMW and pulls up in his driveway to a multi- million dollar home that was paid for through drug companies that don't care how many people die as long as their quarterly profits show in the green! That truly makes me sick knowing a child suffers through pain and dies while the CEO's lounge out on their expansive sun decks and sip their expensive wine that was really bought by adult and children's blood!!!

Just my 2 cents worth!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

The thing is, the use of the immune system to fight cancer has had research going back decades. There have been things that have worked, and others that have not worked all that well. It is not a sure fire magic bullet for everyone or everything, which is why the research continues to try and refine the techniques and learn from them. What is different here is the use of HIV to help program the T-cells.

Perhaps one day it can be the magic bullet. Glad it worked in this case, but we can't say victory yet.

The "fire with fire" concept reminds me of one lesson at the uni, the professor was discussing bacterial toxins and the fact that the Clostridium botulinum toxin gives you a flaccid paralysis (limp muscles), while the Clostridium tetani toxin gives you a spastic paralysis (tense muscles).

Hence the cure for a person with lockjaw is...

*Student from the back of the class* *Me*: "Administer botulin toxin!"

The professor gives me a pained look and says: "Iron lung and curare."

Great article BTW, thanks for the link.