A few aircraft carriers

My family took a little road trip today, down through the Kitsap peninsula and up towards Bremerton....as we approached Bremerton from the south, I began to notice very familiar outlines. 5 aircraft carriers sat at the docks of the Bremerton Naval Ship Yard.

carriers.jpg

In the foreground is the USS Independence, the island of the Kitty Hawk is just forward of the Indy's island. And just beyond the Kitty Hawk is the Connie. The Ranger is just out of view and I couldn't get a shot of it as the road didn't have a shoulder. The Stennis is in port and was a few docks down from the Ranger.

Indy.jpg

Here is a close up of the hull of the Indy. That was a close as I dared get without angering the guys in the Humvee.

Then....on the freeway coming home, just south of Seattle.....I see two E/A-18G Growlers fly over. I couldn't get a shot of them because I was on the I-5, but I could see them pretty clearly as they were low....I could see a red fin flash on one of them...not sure what squadron they were from.

I remember that drive as a kid coming from Tacoma on my way up to Port Townsend to visit the grandparents. But back then, the carriers were older Essex class carriers.. and the Missouri was there as museum ship before being moved to Long Beach before being reactivated during the Reagan administration.. the good ole days.

Red flashed growlers? Well, seeing as all but one growler squadrons is based at NAS Whidbey Island.. I would imagine they were either VAQ-129 or VAQ-132, probably 129.. big red tail with sword and lightning bolt on the CAG bird.. pretty distinctive.

Remember these beautiful ships when they used to visit Sydney Australia.When they were here and open for inspection I used to be at the entry gates at 6a.m. to be first on and get the best photos. I still say the Australian navy should have bought one

Greg

I remember Mighty Mo being moved. We lived in the north end at the time, in what is now Shoreline. My parents took us to Richmond Beach and there were huge crowds lined up on the cliffs watching as she was towed up the Puget Sound.

Not sure it was VAQ-129....or even the Scorps for that matter...I looked at some pics and all the pictures of the Scorpions I could find that had any color on the tails were a black tail with red scorpion tail.