Bf 109G-5, 9./JG 54, "Yellow 11"

Well, here we have the much maligned Trumpy 109G-6. We all know that Trumpeter can be a hot button and some of the criticism is certainly justified, some, but not all. Overall I found this a pleasant build, fit was pretty good. I did have to install some shim on the STBD wing root, other than that just a small dab of filler here and there. Level of detail is pretty good, the cockpit doesn't suffer from the horrible inaccuracies of the Trumpy Emil and is almost on par with the level of detail in the Hasegawa 1/32 Gustav. So this not the perfect 109 that LSPers have been dreaming of, here are some of the major issues as I see them:

- Spinner is off in shape (Hasegawa Gustav's have the same issue).

- Cowl covers are molded as two separate pieces but piano hinge missing.

- Rubber wheels, Trumpeter these have got to go! Tail wheel is well undersized as well.

- Lower fuselage contour is off, although went built up is not real noticeable to my eyes.

- Rudder shape is funky.

- Rivet detail probably a little heavy handed

- STBD cowl cover has compressor bulge, a separate piece with standard cowl cover would have been a nice touch.

- No provision to mount exhausts without engine installed. I jury rigged it but shouldn't have had to do it. Eduard 1/32 Emil got this right.

There are numerous other items that are less than perfect but are not show stoppers IMO.

What I replaced/corrected:

- Eagle Parts spinner,

- Added weld bead to supercharger intake.

- Removed fresh air scoops from windscreen.

- Loon Models resin wheels.

- Master Details resin drop tank.

- Reworked ailerons.

- Scratch-built G-5 style canopy bulkhead.

- Quickboost rudder and elevators.

- Reworked tailplanes to accept new elevators.

- Replaced ETC rack and tail wheel with spares from Hasegawa kit.

I had a bugger of a time with the decals so that national insignia and the yellow 11 were painted on, looks much better in this scale anyway.

So I picked this up for $20 on sale from Squadron, added another $15 in aftermarket. It definitely isn't perfect but I don't feel like I got robbed either. An average modeler can turn this into a decent looking build with a minimum of fuss.

As always, thanks for looking!

Mike

bf109g5_yellow11_1.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_2.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_3.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_4.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_5.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_6.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_7.JPG

bf109g5_yellow11_8.JPG