ZVEZDA, Made in Russia, 1:72 scale, № 7273, MIL Mi-24A HIND - Ми-24А

1-page instructions for assembly models helicopter Mi-24A "HIND" ("product 245")

ecfaf6e6bd8d.jpg

03bc7dd1f5e8.jpg

61d2e1e9ae8c.jpg

0377b14a20fa.jpg

f2597779cab8.jpg

fb1f4ca34eaa.jpg

Edited by Mi-26

Never knew the Hind A went into production. I thought it was just a starting platform for the regular Hind.

Looks like a fun build.

Oliver

Not sure on numbers but at least 30 went to Algeria and another 30 or so to Libya. Ethiopia also had some. Soviets had some stationed in the DDR and deployed to Afghanistan. First ones there were flown in by Soviet pilots wearing bogus Afghan markings before the first Soviet troops invaded. There are a number of museum hulks. SAAF Museum has the only flying A. Was acquired from the Algerians when South Africa got the contract to upgrade the Algerian's D/Es to Hind MkIIs. Was fully restored to it's original Soviet markings. I am building the Zevezda kit and marking it as the SAAF one when still with the Algerians. Found out the tail code is SU-97. It is on the tail boom, like the MkIIs. Number is repeated on the Starboard stub wing. National marking was on port stub. Got this from a gent who worked on the restoration.

2-3 page assembly instructions model helicopter Mi-24A "HIND" ("product 245")

ac54977b3ab0.jpg

9528f57af4f1.jpg

These tools will help you assemble the model qualitatively

82e20caf8e91.jpg

6fc8af7a20fa.jpg

d9e4ef4a2d59.jpg

Edited by Mi-26

3-page assembly instructions model helicopter Mi-24A "HIND" ("product 245")

186aee59e0dc.jpg

a877be6a719e.jpg

69d6a2d4147f.jpg

Аcrylic paint for models

f7a7b9e5efc0.jpg

Edited by Mi-26

4-page assembly instructions model helicopter Mi-24A "HIND" ("product 245")

ffa450a12fdb.jpg

4a870701b416.jpg

1-а

e3a243e3ebe9.jpg

fdf5b74292e4.jpg

165c4a5dae05.jpg

1-а

18da06b8b4b4.jpg

Edited by Mi-26

Yes, Zvezda's Hinds sure are gorgeous little kits.

Now, how about a Hind-D? :)/>

Cheers,

Andre

They have a Hind D/E kit. Also marketed under Revell label. (Czech Tiger Meet one. Otheres are Italeri kits reboxed) Kit has both weapons systems (Swatter and Spiral) Also has twin 23mm turret to make the VP. So Zevzda has Hind A, Hind D/E and Mi-35. Now just need the Hind F with twin 30mm.

They have a Hind D/E kit. Also marketed under Revell label. (Czech Tiger Meet one. Otheres are Italeri kits reboxed) Kit has both weapons systems (Swatter and Spiral) Also has twin 23mm turret to make the VP. So Zevzda has Hind A, Hind D/E and Mi-35. Now just need the Hind F with twin 30mm.

Zevzda kit is #7239. Revell re box is #4839.

My Zvezda Hind-E (kit #Zvezda 7293) comes with just the AT-6 Spiral and associated nose guidance system, not the AT-2 Swatter system, making it a Hind-E only.

Cheers,

Andre

My Zvezda Hind-E (kit #Zvezda 7293) comes with just the AT-6 Spiral and associated nose guidance system, not the AT-2 Swatter system, making it a Hind-E only.

Cheers,

Andre

Mia culpa. Thought I'd read the kit had both systems. My A has all the googas for both. I'll have to check the Mi-35.

Mia culpa. Thought I'd read the kit had both systems. My A has all the googas for both.

If one has both kits, can parts be swapped to model a D and still have the correct parts to model an A?

I'll have to check the Mi-35

I would be interested in the answer if the above question doesn't work.

If one has both kits, can parts be swapped to model a D and still have the correct parts to model an A?

You can mix and match and be real close. After looking around ....A kit has the swatter rails and mounts. (Sprue C) Also has the older style 57mm FFAR pods. Unfortunately if you use the swatters for a D you have a eunuch A. Could probably get a 7273 C sprue from Zevzda. A has the LLTV/ IR turret, but D kit should too, and as near as I can tell they are the same for the D and E. Only thing left is the missile control system. Looks like a little file work could re contour the E's missile control pod to the Ds. One interesting note, the A's C sprue has a set of fully faired chaff launchers (Which I've only seen on Brazil's AH-2s and Algeria's Hind MkIIs) but the Mi-35 kit has the old scabbed on chaff system. Little tweeking and these would work as the old strap on ones used on early Hind/ Hips. The A kit also has IR suppressors that (I think) are the early style ones.

You'd be real close. A kit has the swatter missiles and launchers, also has the older 57 mm FFAR pods. however if you use these for a D, your A will be a Eunuch. Can probably get a 7273 "C" sprue with the swatters from Zevzda if you ask nice. Seems all kits have the LLTV/IR turret, and as near as I can tell they are the same for both E and D. Missile control pod looks like a bit of file work can change the contour to the swatter one. Two other tidbits ... the A kit has a set of fully faired chaff launchers (I've only seen these on the Brazilian AH-2 and Algerian Hind MkIIs) and a set of old style (?) IR suppressors. Mi-35 (and I assume E kit) have old, scabbed on chaff (Little tweeking could be used as strap on launchers for Hind/Hip) and newer IR suppressors. Might have to do some mods to the gunner's cockpit.

<...> Seems all kits have the LLTV/IR turret, and as near as I can tell they are the same for both E and D. <...>

They're very similar, but not quite he same. HERE'S one on a Mi-24D, HERE'S one on a Hind-E.

The good news is that it should be relatively easy to backdate, by simply scrapping off the actuating rods and hinges and putting a little lenght of square plastic in place.

They're very similar, but not quite he same. HERE'S one on a Mi-24D, HERE'S one on a Hind-E.

The good news is that it should be relatively easy to backdate, by simply scrapping off the actuating rods and hinges and putting a little lenght of square plastic in place.

Are they D and E? LTTV turrets are real close. Looks like just hinges/ actuators. Could they be different lots/makers? Missile guidance looks the same except color of dielectric. I thought the D/Swatter one was more hatchet looking.

They're different makes - look at the guidance antenna (port underside, opposite the optics LLTV/IR) - the D has the swiveling one in a more rectangular casing, almost always painted entirely in the fuselage underside colour, while the V has the teardrop fixed antenna with the black dielectric nose. That's the most obvious visual difference between a -D and a -V, the rest are minute.

Cheers!

They're different makes - look at the guidance antenna (port underside, opposite the optics LLTV/IR) - the D has the swiveling one in a more rectangular casing, almost always painted entirely in the fuselage underside colour, while the V has the teardrop fixed antenna with the black dielectric nose. That's the most obvious visual difference between a -D and a -V, the rest are minute.

Cheers!

I meant the the LLTV/IR. Looks like the only change between these two looks to be the hinges, etc. Was the difference between models, or was it from a different supplier or is one helo a license built one? Was there a difference in the sighting equipment in the cockpit?

I think this is about the Zvezda Mi-24A version. But if you want to go into differences on the D and V it is not only the sighting system (the box with the opening windows on the right side of the undernose) or the the antitank missile guidance system (on the left side of the nose). Both of these were different for the D and the V versions, the simple reason is that the V had a completely different antitank missile, the Sturm, which needed a different guidance system. But since it had a different missile the wing tip rails on the stub wings are completely different for the Falanga (on Mi-24D) and for Sturm (on Mi-24V). Also there is a search light on the left side of the V, on the V the intake for the AI-9V auxiliary power unit was covered up completely, the ASO-2V flare dispenser was positioned on the side of the fuselage. On the D the strap on flare dispenser was a "field modification" as a response to the requirements in Afganistan. Some sensor antennae are in different position . . .

The Mi-35 is a completely different story, the nose is very different with the new gun, a new rotating search head on the right, the tail rotor, new antennae, but what is also important the landing gear is fixed!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I think this is about the Zvezda Mi-24A version. But if you want to go into differences on the D and V it is not only the sighting system (the box with the opening windows on the right side of the undernose) or the the antitank missile guidance system (on the left side of the nose). Both of these were different for the D and the V versions, the simple reason is that the V had a completely different antitank missile, the Sturm, which needed a different guidance system. But since it had a different missile the wing tip rails on the stub wings are completely different for the Falanga (on Mi-24D) and for Sturm (on Mi-24V). Also there is a search light on the left side of the V, on the V the intake for the AI-9V auxiliary power unit was covered up completely, the ASO-2V flare dispenser was positioned on the side of the fuselage. On the D the strap on flare dispenser was a "field modification" as a response to the requirements in Afganistan. Some sensor antennae are in different position . . .

The Mi-35 is a completely different story, the nose is very different with the new gun, a new rotating search head on the right, the tail rotor, new antennae, but what is also important the landing gear is fixed!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Whole rotor system for the Mi-35 is different, no? Same design as the Mi-28 I believe.

Whole rotor system for the Mi-35 is different, no? Same design as the Mi-28 I believe.

Yup - both main and tail rotor, but on the Mi-35M.

Be aware that just "Mi-35" is an export designation for the Mi-24V, while the upgraded examples with the Mi-28 blades are Mi-24PN/Mi-35M/Mi-35M1/Mi-35M2's.

Cheers,

Anre

Yup - both main and tail rotor, but on the Mi-35M.

Be aware that just "Mi-35" is an export designation for the Mi-24V, while the upgraded examples with the Mi-28 blades are Mi-24PN/Mi-35M/Mi-35M1/Mi-35M2's.

Cheers,

Anre

Hi Andre,

I did not want to go that deep into the subtypes and all the differences as well as the naming of them, after all this thread should be about the early Mi-24 A version. What is important that its not only the nose but lots of other differences too, many of which are not minor.

Best regards

Gabor