1:24 Apollo CSM/BPC/LES/SLA Model

Hello Everyone, I've provided a lot of 3D printed models for several people in the real space modeling community, but I also do a little building myself. I'm new to this forum, and thanks to Steve Nichols for pointing me here. I am very impressed by the work that I've seen! Here is my most recent build- it is a 1:24 Scale Apollo CSM/BPC/LES/SLA display in launch configuration.

It is made from a combination of materials. I started with my own 3D printed models, and added in some scratch built components out of more traditional materials as well. I was able to traditionally print a 2D map of the SM skin onto a metallic plastic to achieve the realistic metal finish. I could type 3 or 4 pages explaining the build from concept to completion, but I think I'll just let the pictures do the talking. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

I want to give a special thanks to Steve for the beautiful Bare Metal Foil job on the CM. It really finished off the project beautifully, and that was way beyond my capabilities!

Please let me know what you think. Hopefully the photo links will work. If not, there is a link to the Photobucket page at the bottom. Thanks! --Michael

124ScaleCSM033_zpsfaf0650a.jpg

124ScaleCSM027_zpsf736ede1.jpg

124ScaleCSM028_zpsc3064d35.jpg

124ScaleCSM017_zps8aa04ebc.jpg

124ScaleCSM051_zpsb326d854.jpg

If you would like to see more pictures, you can view them here:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/keymichael1855/library/1-24%20Scale%20CSM%20BPC%20LES%20SLA%20Pics#/user/keymichael1855/library/1-24%20Scale%20CSM%20BPC%20LES%20SLA%20Pics?sort=6&page=1&_suid=137242617139504525123267778316

Oh my ... this is nice! :thumbsup:

The 2D map on the SM ... is it printed on clear decal film and applied? or how'd ya do it?

The surface details, like the attaching hardware, on the CM looks a little too pronounced but overall ... what a marvellous job!!

And don't be afraid to show us all the steps you took to build this ... I for one, would love to see 'em ... and I think that's just what these forums are for!

And Mr Nichols does do nice work!

Thanx for posting these Michael.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Thanks very much for your comments!

The metallic plastic is what really makes the SM special. I looked long and hard to find a metallic surface that looked good, but was capable of being wrapped around a 6†diameter cylinder. I stumbled upon engraving plastic. It’s basically the stuff that they use to make little plaques for awards, trophies, etc. The very thin metal surface is meant to be engraved away, exposing the black plastic underneath. But, since that would only give me the option of black (no gray scale), I had to do the skin another way. So, I created a black and white image of the SM with all of the rivets, panel lines, etc. When the image is printed on the surface, the white area remains transparent exposing the metallic surface, and the black areas are printed. Also, gray areas are transparent according to their value. I use a local printer that has a large flatbed printer designed for printing on a variety of materials. Here is a small clip of the image itself:

ApolloSMMasterMap_5copy_3_sm_zps11a491f8.jpg

And how it prints on the metallic sheet:

Skin3_zps581c7e57.jpg

As for the printed parts, I created all of them myself in a CAD program and ordered them through Shapeways.com. Here are some pics of the parts right out of the box.

Parts_2_zps40533572.jpeg

Parts_1_zps7e5d70f2.jpeg

image3_zps10cdaf05.jpeg

From there, it was just a lot of prepping, priming, and painting. The SLA was printable, but would've been really expensive. So, I created a template and made it from scratch out of styrene (white and clear) and some metallic paper.

image17_zps91479a91.jpeg

Lastly, I created all of the decals from scratch using Dragon's 1:48 as a guide, making corrections and adjustments as needed.

Well, that's a crash course on the build. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them. Thanks! --Michael

Hey Pete,

I have RCS bells in several scales on Shapeways, so there's a good chance that they were mine. I hope they met your expectations!

As for the LES tower, right now that section is all one piece. This was the very first model that I created for printing about 3 or 4 years ago. At the time, I didn't know that the nozzles weren't white like the rest of the structure, so I didn't separate them. It makes it almost impossible to paint them a different color,, so that's something I need to correct. Good catch!

Michael

Hello Tony,

Thanks for the kind words on my models on SW. I have printed the F1 in 1:72 and it looks fantastic. The problem is that a set of 5 would be more than the total cost of the kit.

As for the LES, I think that would be a great upgrade. I never really realized that the top of the LES tower was completely smooth with no detail or insets for the jettison motors- until I looked at my Apollo 9 pre-built from Dragon. I'm assuming that the kit LES is exactly the same. If someone could give me some measurements to help fit my LES tower with the kit, I would gladly make the LES available. Since you wouldn't have to buy 5 of them, it would be a reasonably priced upgrade. Just let me know and I can make that happen!

Thanks!

Michael

Edited by mkey1855

I have the Saturn V kit, two Saturn V pre-builts and the Apollo 9 kit and prebuilt and the LES is the same in all. The girder work is not too bad, apart from one missing diagonal strut where it meets the BPC above the hatch, similar with the nozzles, but from the skirt upwards it is pretty bare. Basically if the Shapeways replacement was from the skirt upwards and included the LES rocket motors it would VASTLY lift the look of the unit.

As for the F1's, it may be worth buying one to use as a 3D guide to detailing the others, but honestly for an "Ultimate Detail" 1/72 Saturn V it may be a case of "Damm, the Expense, Full Speed Ahead!!" and buying all five.......:)

Cheers

Tony

Hey Tony,

I was wondering about the missing diagonal strut. Mine is missing in the exact same place- right above the hatch. I agree- the girder work is pretty good on the Dragon, but he upper part of the tower is really lacking detail. I went into my LES tower model and separated out the top part, including the skirt and LES rocket motors. Here is the link:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1201249/apollo-les-upper-1-72.html?li=modelEdit

Take a look at it and let me know what you think. I think it would be a great upgrade to the kit!

As for the F1's, if you are interesed, send me a private message and we can discuss it further.

Thanks!

Michael

That is exactly what I was thinking Michael. I am pretty sure that I remember the "fix" list for the Dragon Saturn V had the LES assembly as being basically accurate in size and shape, but having zero detail, not even the straps across the skirt aligned with the trusswork, so an accurate part in 1/72 should line up with the trusswork OK. Is the default material the best for using for the best balance of detail versus cleanup? At least without the trusswork the issue of the parts strength should not be a factor....

I will definitely be ordering at least a couple of those when I have some spare coin. Even as a detailing guide for the Dragon parts they would be invaluable I feel.

As for the F1 engines, I could not find a listing for them in 1/72, so I am not sure what the unit price from Shapeways is, but I also feel there would be some who would like your batted F1's in that scale as well.

Cheers

Tony