Air Force Does "Pay To Stay" Deal For Pilots

The USAF is now offering a nearly quarter-million-dollar bonus for fighter pilots who decide to re-up for a nine-year commitment, half of which can be taken immediately in a lump-sum payment, says the Air Force Times: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130625/CAREERS03/306250024/Air-Force-offers-fighter-pilots-225-000-stay-in

Interesting. Is retention really that bad?

Interesting. Is retention really that bad?

Yes. Particularly in the fighter world. You'll note this particular bonus is not offered to all pilots, but only to about 250 or so eligible fighter pilots.

Given the historically low "take" rates for fighter pilots offered some of the recent bonuses, I doubt this will actually have much effect. In particular, given the fact this bonus requires you to sign up for 9 more years, after having already completed the 10 year commitment these eligibles received after graduating from pilot training, I expect the AF to fall well short of its goal for these fighter pilots.

Of those fighter pilots facing the choice to separate or stay, recent retention rates have been less than stellar:

F-22: ~33% retention

A-10: ~49%

F-16: ~51%

F-15: ~68%

F-15E: ~81%

The overall fighter pilot retention rate hovers somewhere around 57%.

It's pretty simple really. It's much, much easier for the Air Force to throw money at the problem rather than fix the reasons why guys want to get out in the first place. In my 23 years with the airlines (after 12 in the Air Force / ANG) - I've heard stories from guys with backgrounds from all services / airframes and time frames. The main issues have never changed. The end result is that no one in the Pentagon is directly responsible. If pilots (or any other asset) is lost (for whatever reason) - there's always more money to get more. You and I personally have to make do with a budget - and what we've got. The Government doesn't have that problem - and that's why they're always dealing with a crisis. They never get to the heart of the problem. Back when I was getting out - there was a huge retention problem with pilots. The Air Force thought guys were leaving to go to the airlines. No - the airlines were simply a place to go. The core problem was that guys were LEAVING the Air Force - and they couldn't comprehend that (and still can't). Everyone has a breaking point - only so much B.S. a person can take. For the military to take a mentally / physically and willing individual and drain them to the point of wanting to leave - that's really a sad state of affairs. I loved my time in the military (as have most guys I know). In the end though, again, there's only so much a person's willing to put up with.

Hitch

I graduated college in 2007 and the Air Force was on my list of "want to fly there". I was told that unless I graduated from the Academy or was a part of the "right" ROTC program they didn't want me as a pilot. It didn't matter that I had 200 hours of flight time already, a good B.S. degree, a great GPA, and some high level recommendations. So, I don't feel bad for them not being able to keep pilots. "Government, business as usual."

I just read that they are offering senior level SEALs (15-18 years of duty) similar bonuses to stay in. Unlike the AF zoomies, the SEAL's get the full payment up front.

The way the US military will be downsizing, I'm surprised they are even trying to keep AF pilots in. In a few years, they will probably be forcing the same pilots to take an early out.

Edited by 11bee

The problem is not with new acquisitions or pilot candidates. At this point, the AF can still afford to be as selective as they like in that regard. The problem is in holding onto experienced, mid-level pilots, particularly fighter pilots. The 10-15 year point is the most challenging group to retain, because they're past their initial commitment and have options (not least of which are the Guard and Reserve if they want to keep flying and avoid things like Developmental Education and staff jobs). Past 15 years, most guys figure it's just worth their time to hold their nose and put up with whatever stink abounds and get to retirement.

This bonus, however, is going to take away all options for the fighter pilots who take it. They'll be stuck with whatever non-volunteer opportunities and rated staff jobs the AF needs to fill, because they'll effective have signed on to the 19 year point. The majority of the nine years covered by their bonus will very likely be in non-flying jobs. The guys who DON'T sign the bonus will be able to leverage the AF with "give me another flying assignment or else I'll separate," plus they'll be have far better options for Guard or Reserve billets as Captains/Majors by still being able to separate from Active Duty. The bonus guys won't, and there aren't many options for 19 year Lt Cols in the Guard/Reserve, as by that point they're "growing their own."

All in all, the guys who'll take this bonus likely will be the guys who are careerists and were going to stick around anyway. The 9 year obligation will likely dis-incentivize anybody who is on the fence, because it severely limits your options.

Again, this has nothing to do with new hires. It's about retaining experienced fighter pilots.

Never understood why the military doesn't offer it's pilots a "flight only" career track. No years spent on boring admin / staff jobs, just flying slots. All with the understanding that maybe you won't get as high up the ladder as the ticket punchers. I would think they would probably get more than a few takers.

Never understood why the military doesn't offer it's pilots a "flight only" career track. No years spent on boring admin / staff jobs, just flying slots. All with the understanding that maybe you won't get as high up the ladder as the ticket punchers. I would think they would probably get more than a few takers.

That's what the Army calls "warrant officers"....:-)

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

That's what the Army calls "warrant officers"....:-)

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

My bad, should have limited that to USAF/USN/USMC. Warrant Officer is the way to go if you want to spend your career flying instead of a good portion of it at a desk working on .ppt's.

It's amusing (and sad) to read this thread, because you could remove USAF and insert RCAF, change some minor terms of service details, and have exactly the same kind of discussion.

I left after 20 years as a pilot, and the last 2 years had been so full of frustrations and BS that the calendar pages could not turn fast enough to the point I was able to leave with a small pension. Ironically, the Canadian Air Force was critically short of experienced fighter pilots at the time, and my CO tried to convince me to stay. We had a long talk, where I explained the sorts of things that would have to change to convince me to stay. The CO just shook his head, and said he had no power to change those things, nor did anyone, really. We shook hands, and he wished me well.

To his credit, my CO sat, listened, and understood. I had had similar conversations with other LCols and Cols, and the majority of them were so old-school that they just told me I was being unreasonable. Family considerations, stability, manageable workloads, you name it - could not be done. I heard the line "If the Air Force wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one" more than once. Usually from a once or twice-divorced die-hard old dinosaur.

A year before I retired from the Air Force, one of my former supervisors crossed paths with me as he test-flew a business jet in the Montreal area. I told him about my plans to leave, and he said "you know, the grass really IS greener on this side of the fence." And that from a man that was a rising star in the Canadian Forces, who was a role model to we younger fighter pilots. At least Canadian industry benefits from a talented and resourceful test pilot now.

I loved many things about my military career, but I have no regrets about retiring 17 years ago. It can be a great life, but it can suck the life out of you at the same time. Same old same old, and sadly, nothing can or will break the cycle.

ALF

Sad thing is the BS could change if they wanted it to. It's caused by those entrenched dinosaurs after all. It would take someone at the top deciding things have to change and removing those who stand in the way.

By the way it's not just the fighter pilot/officer ranks dealing with pointless BS and abuse. I left the USAF because of the stupidity and found the grass was indeed greener. I had 11 and a half years service, 2 in the Texas ANG and 9 and a half years active duty. After getting out and discovering the wonderful feeling of being treated with respect and as though I actually mattered, I could't convince myself to join a ANG or reserve unit to finish my time to get that retirement check.

I started out completely motivated, was squadron "airman of the month" twice, perfect performance reports, earned an incentive flight in an F-4E, and so forth. But by the time I separated in 1991 I couldn't wait to be GONE!

Scott W.

Not only for officers, but I'd love to see the AF bring back the Warrant Officers. I know several MSgts that fly like myself, who do not care to be promoted to SMSgt/E-8. Why? Because I dont want to volunteer all of my off-duty time on every project or kiss butt to get that next stripe. My place as a leader to younger enlisted is doing the very job I expect them to do, not take time off to go help some committee. WOs offer that chance for someone who simply want to continue doing the job they love and do it well.

The AF enlisted corp has lost complete focus in regards to what leadership really means and it's place. In addition to the volunteering/chairing, a Master's degree is almost mandatory to seriously compete for E-8 and E-9. So I'll top at out at 24 years and move on unless something better opens up. I'm always networking. And you know what? I've very happy with my place right now. I've met my goals in the AF. I get to fly the line and teach students without the stress or worry about that next stripe.

Money isnt always the fix. Sadly, we come around to this every few years when people wont listen to the real retention problems. The Volunteer Separation Program (VSP) for officers a couple of years back had so many takers, that they quickly shut it down to rated officers. Instead it appeared to be used as a tool to root out people and RIF them at a reduced payout. It happened to a couple of pilots in my unit.

-Jeff

I graduated college in 2007 and the Air Force was on my list of "want to fly there". I was told that unless I graduated from the Academy or was a part of the "right" ROTC program they didn't want me as a pilot. It didn't matter that I had 200 hours of flight time already, a good B.S. degree, a great GPA, and some high level recommendations. So, I don't feel bad for them not being able to keep pilots. "Government, business as usual."

The Marine Corps can guarantee you aviation school, with an "air contract." What happens when you arrive at that school is up to you, but the Corps will get you to the door. just FYI

A couple years back there were several articles about the Army investing tons of time and treasure to produce the best officers they could and then have them leave in droves in disgust. They make them, they just couldn't keep them. I know Kolja always liked the idea of flying navy warrant officers.

The Marine Corps can guarantee you aviation school, with an "air contract." What happens when you arrive at that school is up to you, but the Corps will get you to the door. just FYI

A couple years back there were several articles about the Army investing tons of time and treasure to produce the best officers they could and then have them leave in droves in disgust. They make them, they just couldn't keep them. I know Kolja always liked the idea of flying navy warrant officers.

Yea, my dad was a pilot with the Marines and retired a few years back as a Lt Col after 26 years. He was the one that made sure I wasn't "duped" by any recruiters. It was fly or good by. That being said, growing up as the son of a Marine I knew the service well enough to know I didn't have the "fire" to be a Marine. I believe you have to have a special desire to be a Marine and I didn't have that.