Alternative to Future for Gunze acrylics...

Hello,

I've read that future floor polish does not react well to Gunze acrylic paints (i.e. the paint cracks underneath).

Does anyone know of a good alternative to future as a gloss coat for decaling? I primarily bought these paints for my modern jets (i.e. f-16, f-14, etc.) since they had the proper FS colors and were good for airbrushing ... but I didn't know about the future problem :boohoo:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I use Gunze acrylics quite a bit and have never had that problem. You can use Tamiya Acrylic Clear (comes in Gloss, Satin and Flat) if your Future reacts with your paint, however I doubt it will. Another alternative is to use LifeColour paints. They come out in a whole heap of FS colours; more so than Gunze. HTH

Most Gunze acrylics are semi gloss, and I have often skipped the gloss coat prior to decaling over Gunze acrylics. They came out well with no silvering. Or you can use alternate gloss coats if Future is out and you are not using the semi gloss colors. I was a huge fan of the Gunze Aqueous line until they stopped importing them here and replaced them with the Mr Color line.

Thanks for the responses guys B)

I read about future reacting with Gunze Mr. Hobby Color acrylic paints over at hyperscale a couple of weeks back. However, it evidently appears that people are having different experiences.

Nevertheless, I have been searching around; has anyone tried Vallejo gloss varnish? By Tamiya Clear, are we talking about X-22?

Thanks! :cheers:

Why not just use Gunze Aqueous clears? They work great.

Hey :coolio:

I didn't realize Gunze Mr. Hobby Color had a clear gloss; I must have mistakenly overlooked it :blink:

It's H30 clear I believe, and from what I read, it does work great :woo:

Thanks all!

By the way, I have a 3/4 full bottle of the 'original' future... how can I tell if it's gone bad or not? Look's like it yellowed some :o

• 1 month later...

By the way, I just used Future over my Mr Color paints and have had no issues. Granted, the Future went on 3 days ago and no problems.

OIC said the blind man...you're referring to the aqueous type...never mind (voice of Gilda Radner)!

Edited by B52gunner

By the way, I just used Future over my Mr Color paints and have had no issues. Granted, the Future went on 3 days ago and no problems.

I had a problem just once with Future and Gunze. The cracking started at least a month after it was finished! I think the problem is when Gunze is not fully cured, which may be a result of improper mixing and not giving the Gunze enough time to cure before the Future coat. The Gunze may be trying to shrink under the Harder Future layer. Beware!

Thanks for the tip! This is my first time using these Gunze paints. They sure go on nice but have never used lacquers before. I waited for about a week before I shot the Future on it. It sure helps set those decals I have to admit. I have been out of modeling for almost 30 years and just now trying to catch back up. You guys have come up with some cool stuff and sweet techniques! Thanks again!

Dean

I've been using Gunze (Mr.Color) paints (H&C) exclusively for the past few years. I've tried future, but I am not using it for nothing else then dipping my canopies in it. Why risking ruining a model

by using something used to polish your floors with? The damage using future might not be shown for months, than all sorts of problems may appear.(craking finish, decals etc)Believe me, I have some models that prove that)

You have chosen well. Mr.Color paints are great, and you can mix H-range with C-range with Mr.Color leveling thinner. Doesn't matter, they are both acryilic paints. H and C-range paints are mostly semigloss, and I've found that no gloss coat is needed prior applying decals. Just use good decal solvents (microscale). I usually mix a drop of Mr.Color gloss with Gunze H-range paint, dilute that with Mr. Color Leveling thinner (Blue and yellow bottle) and you have very durable finish which dries in the matter of minutes. H-range paints can be somewhat "rubbery" and with addition of Mr.Color gloss they become really hard and resistant to handling. Be sure you are using Mr.Color C-range clears. H-range coat dries too long and you could end up with nice fingerprints all over the model even after a couple of months (same goes for Tamiya X-22)

After decals, and before weathering (I use AK products) I spray thin coat of Mr.Color semigloss over my model and I've never had any problems with washes destroying the paint. After the weathering, another coat of semigloss is sprayed and that's it. Here are a couple of my models finished that way. They are over a year old now, and no visible damages are showing. (no cracking paint, yellowing varnish) Hope that helps. Enjoy modeling! :)/>

DSC01939.jpg

262_f1.jpg

Edited by gregax

After decals, and before weathering (I use AK products) I spray thin coat of Mr.Color semigloss over my model and I've never had any problems with washes destroying the paint. After the weathering, another coat of semigloss is sprayed and that's it. Here are a couple of my models finished that way. They are over a year old now, and no visible damages are showing. (no cracking paint, yellowing varnish) Hope that helps. Enjoy modeling! :)/>/>/>

DSC01939.jpg

I don't know, that Ju 88 looks like it has a lot of yellowing on it... :D/>

Just kidding - great work there!

Stacey