Malware on forum?

Today I wanted to visit the forums via my laptop, but my virusscanner blocked the forums. Reason was that the forums was infected by malware, I use Avast. Same on my tablet. I can say that it is a false positive so that I can access the forums, but I don't want to risk it with minimal information that I got from the Avast warning.

So does anyone else has the same problem? Also with other scanners?

I got the same result ...

The thing is, there was an Avast update yesterday and it was only after I installed the update that it started to block the ARC Forums, it also blocked my homepage for some reason also ... I had Avast installed on my Nexus 7 tablet also and it would block the ARC Forums as well after it updated but not the homepage which is the same as my laptop ...

I'm still not sure why Avast went nuts ...

-Gregg

D'oh .... I am not a spammer. I was typing the name of a popular phone made by a fruity company.

Will try something on my pc later. Thanks.

I edited your post.....certain product names trigger the word filters that aggressively attack spammer's posts. Sorry. :)

In the same situation (not only here but also getting the same thing from Hyperscale's forum).

Sounds like the only option (short of installing another A/V program which I really don't want to do) is to report the sites to Avast! as a false positive. No idea how long it would take for them to include these in their updates.

As a last resort, I can disable Avast while I surf ARC and HS but that is definitely not an optimum solution.

Any other ideas?

Same problems here. I've been trading emails with their tech support since last night so hopefully they'll get it straightened out.

Ken

My company A/V program (not Avast but no idea what they run) is blocking the ads at the top of the page. I wonder if that is the root problem here?

Seem to remember that others had issues with these ads a while back.

I went into Avast's settings and added ARC's forum address to the "global exclusion" list.

For some strange reason, Avast also went nuts on "Warthunder" (online aircraft game) too.

I went into Avast's settings and added ARC's forum address to the "global exclusion" list.

For some strange reason, Avast also went nuts on "Warthunder" (online aircraft game) too.

Thanks for this info Wege.

I had to disable my Avast to get the site to come up (It's been blocked for several days for me too) and this bit of info has fixed the problem for me.

Now I can view the forums again! :D

Cheers,

Motty.

I don't know about others, but if i do that only the forum front page is excluded. If i want to go to any of the subforums or threads, it is still being blocked.

It did that for me to.

I came back in (fully) the next day after the PC was turned off etc.

Perhaps a cold boot for your system?

Otherwise, tell AVAST to turn itself off for 10mins (or some other time period while you peruse your plastic fancys? :) )

I have been having the same problem for several days now. My only way in is to disable both Web and Network Shields simultaneously. I have reported it as a false positive to Avast. I am wondering if opening a problem ticket will do anything? I don't believe a long term solution is to continually turn off my protection. There is also a post about this over on Zone Five. There is a link in the thread which you are to add to the Global Exclusions list in Avast. I tried posting the link but when I went to preview my post it was edited. It seemed to work for some. It didn't for me. I will probably go back to AVG. I also started a thread about this in the Lounge on Hyperscale on July 1st. You can find that link there if you want to give it a try.

Cheers,

Tom

I have been having the same problem for several days now. My only way in is to disable both Web and Network Shields simultaneously. I have reported it as a false positive to Avast. I am wondering if opening a problem ticket will do anything? I don't believe a long term solution is to continually turn off my protection. There is also a post about this over on Zone Five. There is a link in the thread which you are to add to the Global Exclusions list in Avast. I tried posting the link but when I went to preview my post it was edited. It seemed to work for some. It didn't for me. I will probably go back to AVG. I also started a thread about this in the Lounge on Hyperscale on July 1st. You can find that link there if you want to give it a try.

Cheers,

Tom

I will never go back to AVG. It's bloatware. Hoping that Avast addresses this in one of the updates. In the meantime, I can only access the forums from my work PC (shh.. don't tell my boss).

The root cause appears to be the ads at the top of the page. My work pc is also having problems with them, I can load the forum but the area where the ad is presented has a message - Access Blocked - Content Alert The URL http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N5506.X1/B6323632.25;sz=728x90;click=http://bn.xp1.ru4.com.....

Maybe ARC can check on this at their end?

Very annoying.

Edited by 11bee

I called Avast and talked to a tech via phone. He logged onto my PC and took control and tried accessing the forums so he could see the problem himself. He says my problem is a damaged OS (XP Home Service Pack 3) and the registry needs to be cleaned out. He wanted to sell me either a one time fix called Avast Solve My Problem for $119.99 or for $169.99, Avast 365. The Avast 365 being a one year complete tech support and problem fix at any time. He said this would solve my problem or my money would be refunded. I told him I'd think about it.

Tom

I called Avast and talked to a tech via phone. He logged onto my PC and took control and tried accessing the forums so he could see the problem himself. He says my problem is a damaged OS (XP Home Service Pack 3) and the registry needs to be cleaned out. He wanted to sell me either a one time fix called Avast Solve My Problem for $119.99 or for $169.99, Avast 365. The Avast 365 being a one year complete tech support and problem fix at any time. He said this would solve my problem or my money would be refunded. I told him I'd think about it.

Tom

That sounds like a major scam.

If the issue truly is with your (and I assume everyone else's PC), why is my office PC (which does not have Avast and has a world class IT group to keep it's registry in top shape) also having problems with the ads at the top of the forum? I think the issue is with ARC and it's triggering certain a/v programs.

Edited by 11bee

That sounds like a major scam.

If the issue truly is with your (and I assume everyone else's PC), why is my office PC (which does not have Avast and has a world class IT group to keep it's registry in top shape) also having problems with the ads at the top of the forum? I think the issue is with ARC and it's triggering certain a/v programs.

I completely agree. I was just being polite when I told him "I'd think about it." I was almost ready to post that I had normal access again as I had access for a little while without having to switch off my protection. But then it started acting up again. Oh woe is me!

Tom

I was having issues the last couple of days, now today it appears fine.I run Avast.

I don't know what to think. I just got in okay without having to switch off my Avast protection. I was able to earlier also but then it started acting up again. I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Tom

...for $119.99 or for $169.99, ...

YIKES! I think my knee-jerk reaction would've been to tell him there isn't anything on the internet worth seeing for that kind of money.

I haven't heard back from the tech I've been emailing yet but if I do I'll post it on HS, as it seems you have better luck there than here. In the meantime, maybe ccleaner can clean up the registry issues?

Ken