The 1/48th scale Kfir Showdown

Nice one mate! you're doing a great job here. How are AMK's supersonic fuel tanks?, are short like Kinetic's?, if you feel like fixing that you can do it with 7-8mm rod section just after the last panel line, I fix mine with 9-10mm and was a bit too much.

I follow with interest.

Janne you're really helping so many of us! I don't know how many modellers will follow this topic in the years to come, but sincerely it will become an one stop reference regarding what Kfir to buy! Marvellous work! :cheers:/>

Please, if I can ask: In the images it is visible some indents and some thin putty lines around the bottom nose of the AMK Kfir. The Kinetic kit seems much cleaner. If I can ask, and speaking about your own experience, how would you compare the fit of both models? Thanks!

And is it me or are the trailing edge movable surfaces dimensionally slightly different? At least the AMK seems to be fixed and Kinetic can be dropped. Many photographs show the real Kfir with a slight drop when parked in the tarmac.

Food to talk :D/>

Thanx Nuno :D

Q.fit

To tell the truth the AMK has the edge fit wise...but not really by that much, The KInetic has a good fit while I´d describe the AMK as excellent bordering on fantastic in places.

Q. Flaps

The flaps are positionable in the Kinetics kit...they come in 3 parts (didn´t like that since when they are placed in the dropped position the entire trailing edge has the same anlge so it could have been molded in one piece)

WHile on the AMK the flaps are part of the wings, if you want to drop them you have to saw...

Nice one mate! you're doing a great job here. How are AMK's supersonic fuel tanks?, are short like Kinetic's?, if you feel like fixing that you can do it with 7-8mm rod section just after the last panel line, I fix mine with 9-10mm and was a bit too much.

I follow with interest.

Thanx green dot :D

I don´t know the exact dimensions of the real ones but the Kinetics are about 10.5 cm while the AMK one is 12.5 cm in 1/48th scale.

The subsonic tanks are shorter in the Kinetics as well, 11.7 cm vs 13.1cm

I don´t know the exact dimensions of the real ones but the Kinetics are about 10.5 cm while the AMK one is 12.5 cm in 1/48th scale.

The subsonic tanks are shorter in the Kinetics as well, 11.7 cm vs 13.1cm

YW,I must admit I haven't took any measurements with a ruler but I been looking at many pictures and the problem with kinetic's fuel tanks seem to be behind the hardpoint.

One comment, I been looking deltas long time and not all the time the elevons droops at the same angle, to my eye posing all of them at the same angle look too stiff.

cheers

Edited by Der Grüne Punkt

Janne outstanding reply! :)/> thanks a lot! Just forgive me the delay, my week was a complete mess! But here's the weekend! :)/>

All the best to the next steps! You have two winners coming up! Keep the excellent work!

I have three questions:

1) Which of these two kits has the sharper surfice detailing?

2) How prominent is the difference in the "area rule" interpretation of these two kits?

3) What about the undercarriage legs?

I need to take a decision, buying one or the other. . .

Janne outstanding reply! :)/>/> thanks a lot! Just forgive me the delay, my week was a complete mess! But here's the weekend! :)/>/>

All the best to the next steps! You have two winners coming up! Keep the excellent work!

Thanx Nuno :D

I have three questions:

1) Which of these two kits has the sharper surfice detailing?

2) How prominent is the difference in the "area rule" interpretation of these two kits?

3) What about the undercarriage legs?

I need to take a decision, buying one or the other. . .

Hmmm, how to put this without sounding rude...

The answer to the first two questions you can find by simply looking at the pictures in the thread...

I'm trying to present the two kits as factually and as unbiased as possible to make YOU decide what YOU want. Just stating MY opinion isn't necessarily what YOU think is important.

Regarding the 3rd question.... well what about them? I'm no expert on Kfir landing gears so when I get to them I'll present them the way I did with everything else.

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I see your point. Would post two close up pictures of the wing surface of these two kits?

That would help much.

Will do when I get the opportunity :D

I'm currently 550km from my hobby room visiting relatives :P will be home next week.

Jannie... Great comparison thread. Am really enjoying this. The differences in the model kits are interesting.

But I'm still debating whether to make the jump to 1/32 over 1/48. If I wasn't, the Kitty Hawk C7 would be a draw.

When I'm not out shooting, I should be looking at working on my models. Just got to get that creative mindset going.

Jannie... Great comparison thread. Am really enjoying this. The differences in the model kits are interesting.

But I'm still debating whether to make the jump to 1/32 over 1/48. If I wasn't, the Kitty Hawk C7 would be a draw.

When I'm not out shooting, I should be looking at working on my models. Just got to get that creative mindset going.

Thanx Animal :D

Why not do both?

I`m a mostly 1/48th scale guy but I´ve been known to dibble with both 1/72nd scale and 1/32nd scale :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see these shots with say a Hasegawa or Tamiya part next to it to help judge the size of the engraving, I know with High Res pictures things are magnified quite a bit.

My opinion from looking at the pictures are that both have huge panel lines, and the Kinetic kit suffering from soft engraved edges as witnessed by the rounding of the plastic around the panel and rivet details.

Curt

I'd like to see these shots with say a Hasegawa or Tamiya part next to it to help judge the size of the engraving, I know with High Res pictures things are magnified quite a bit.

My opinion from looking at the pictures are that both have huge panel lines, and the Kinetic kit suffering from soft engraved edges as witnessed by the rounding of the plastic around the panel and rivet details.

Curt

Having seen both in the flesh the AMK panel lines are definitetly sharper. I think it's a functon of the plastic, the Kinetic plastic feels a little softer than the AMK plastic which is more like the Tamiya/Haseagwa plastic. That said the AMK canopy is for me the deciding factor, it just doesn't look quite right

Edited by a4s4eva
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Aigore,

You are doing another great job!

I was following your thread before I join to the Forums and buy one Kfir...

In the end I've chosen the AMK one... IMHO the canopy "problem" is the smallest one, once I will let it open.

Cheers,

Edited by Motta

Hi Aigore,

You are doing another great job!

I was folling your thread before I join to the Forums and buy one Kfir...

In the end I've chosen the AMK one... IMHO the canopy "problem" is the smallest one, once I will let it open.

Cheers,

Thanx Jose :D

I'll get around to finish the builds one of these days.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hiya Ian and Motta,

Well there's really no excuses but I blame life :P I usually have dip in my build mojo durin the autumn, it's been made worse by changing work and well family issues : P

Ive been building tho ...just not taken any pics and one of these days you'll be surprised in the display case forum......