The 1/48th scale Kfir Showdown

OK, I bit the bullet!

I did the Ecuadorian scheme...it took a couple of hours and gave me a head ache from the tension but I got the scheme down!

At the end I couldn´t really keep it as tight as I´d have wanted but I can do some bettering tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I used FS 34083...or as I found it in my Life color rack...RLM81 braun violett :P (looks darn green to me)

IMG_1000_zps11c01f3e.jpg

IMG_1001_zps9cd6fd91.jpg

Thats all folks..

Cheers!

Wow; Looking very nice indeed!

It's interesting; When I returned to model building last year, one of the things that struck me as odd is that freehand airbrushing a camo pattern is more of an exception now rather than the standard.

Back when I stopped model building in the late '90's, unless you did a camo scheme with hard edges, freehand airbrushing a camo pattern was the standard.

What stresses me out is the weathering part of the finishing process.

I have a buddy who is an artist. His weathering on his armor and military vehicles are incredible. Shep. Paine quality weathering.

When you grow up with a fellow modeler who is also an artist, to see him do his magic on a model and then compare your work to his, can be quite intimidating.

Wow; Looking very nice indeed!

It's interesting; When I returned to model building last year, one of the things that struck me as odd is that freehand airbrushing a camo pattern is more of an exception now rather than the standard.

Back when I stopped model building in the late '90's, unless you did a camo scheme with hard edges, freehand airbrushing a camo pattern was the standard.

What stresses me out is the weathering part of the finishing process.

I have a buddy who is an artist. His weathering on his armor and military vehicles are incredible. Shep. Paine quality weathering.

When you grow up with a fellow modeler who is also an artist, to see him do his magic on a model and then compare your work to his, can be quite intimidating.

Thanx Check Six :D

Since the revolution of tac-it and blue tac most prefer to mask the feathered cammo schemes to get that perfect border between colors. I use it too and it´s nothing wrong with it....but I feel a free hand camo scheme, even tho less perfect, gives more life to a model...perhaps because it is less perfect.

I Think it´s fun to paint free hand and it does take some skill to get it just right. Maybe that´s what intimidating with free hand painting.

I´m not a master air brusher and I´ve never claimed to be one....but I am good, and it´s taken lots of diciplin to get where I am today skill wise. When I first saw models painted with airbrush I were in awe, I never thought I´d reach that level of skill. Well maybe I won´t reach perfection but I still strife to get better.

I have friends who can take a $20 airbrush and do wonders I can barely manage with a high class Iwata. There will always be someone better but that´s fine....how could I ever learn from them otherwise?

Looking good!

Thanx pacheco :D

Oki..back to painting!

Painted the sky....tamyia of course.

IMG_1003_zps4df04b0a.jpg

and then the tan, FS30219...

IMG_1004_zps26041d9d.jpg

IMG_1006_zps27c88cf4.jpg

And here´s the two beasties together....(the C7 is so freshly painted the paint´s still wet)

IMG_1009_zps0493e5a1.jpg

Cheers!

Free hand lifecolor paints???

Wow!!!!

What is your secret mate? These paints always block my nozzle!

Well a wee bit of retarder does help...keep the mixture quite thin, 60% thinner and 40% paint. It still does build up on the needle but just keep a hanky ready to wipe tve needle tip from time to time. :)

Looking great 70.gif !

Yep; I grew up learning and using freehand airbrushing.

I'll admit I do see a distinct advantage in using Tac-it to elevate paper masks when doing camo patterns: Since using a mask, one can really minimize paint coverage via fewer airbrush passes.

Edited by Check Six

A quick little update...

Some detail painting done....

Some white in the wheel bays...

IMG_1011_zps5df77f74.jpg

NOse of the C2, flat black glare panel and a gloss nose cone.

IMG_1013_zpsefc3cf53.jpg

And the wee nose of the C7..

IMG_1014_zpsd0c0adc3.jpg

Finally a gloss coat over all...and I can start on decals later :D

IMG_1015_zpsf9f20322.jpg

Cheers!

And we have decals....

I´ve finished the decals on the Kinetic C7...finally, there was quite a few actually.

They went on smashingly ....Isradecals printed by Cartograph, what`s to expect but perfection? :D I had one lilttle beef tho with the paint/decal instruction scheet.

Call me peckish but I like when the panels are the same on the drawing as on the model...yeah the panels on the nose cone didn´t match the instruction sheet so a couple of decals couldn´t go where they were intended.

Now you´re thinking I´ve put on the wrong nose cone...well I checked the other one that came with the box and it didn´t match either......

Anyways, the decals are on and it´s looking good :D

IMG_1023_zpsd912fe0a.jpg

IMG_1024_zps4d8871ea.jpg

IMG_1025_zps4fadaeb0.jpg

Those Israeli markings sat pretty well as I can see.

Yup, only issue I had was the decals on the top of the fin, they ¨had to be placed over a surface detail and didn´t conform all to well, even after I used the hot-wet cotton swab trick.

Edited by Aigore

Trouble in Paradise...

I´m using the Aztek sheet for the Ecadorian C2....and well I knew it wasn´t made for this kit so I was kinda counting on a few issues..

And well I found out imediately...

Hmmmm....

IMG_1026_zpsfeedfb59.jpg

No this will not do!

IMG_1028_zps75f70d74.jpg

I stripped the affronting decals and put a couple of clear coats over the ones I saved....I´m going to have to mask and paint those darn markings!

IMG_1030_zpsccadfa69.jpg

Cheers!