The 1/48th scale Kfir Showdown

Both are looking awesome! Happy birthday, btw! :cheers:/>/>

Thanks for mentioning it :D

What?!!!

Hippo-birdie-two ewes banana.gifnewbanana.gif! !

And this is a unique Friday the 13th as well: A full moon too!

Thanks, yeah what a day to turn 40.... aint no porche on the driveway either :P

Maybe I´ll start sprouting hairs and howl a bit tonight....and then slip in my tub.

Happy Birthday Janne happy-birthday.gif You have made to the top of the hill... Hats off to you for pulling off two great looking camo schemes... especially since your work is freehand gr_eek2.gif

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Happy Birthday Janne happy-birthday.gif You have made to the top of the hill... Hats off to you for pulling off two great looking camo schemes... especially since your work is freehand gr_eek2.gif

/Jesse

Thanx Jesse, very kind of you, mate:D

I had a wee bumby road with the Ecuadorian Kfir.....

The decals werent meassured to fit an AMK kit...so I had to get creative.... :P

I masked the are around the air brakes...

IMG_1033_zpsb37450c7.jpg

Turned out ok...

IMG_1035_zps33dd78e3.jpg

Then I masked the air brakes them selfs....rather intricate business actually, here are the finished belly brakes.

IMG_1036_zpsc774aa1c.jpg

And this is how I dooed it :P I put a big piece of tape over the brakes.....traced the outline with an awl and cut out the airbrake profile.

Then I put the cut out on the cutting board and cut half a millimeter all the way around. then I put the mask back in place on the air brake.

IMG_1038_zps4ed286fb.jpg

Then on with the decals....the Aztec sheet pretty much just covers the upper side....

IMG_1042_zps975ca675.jpg

IMG_1043_zps1c9485ac.jpg

No stencils for the belly...

IMG_1045_zps17b58723.jpg

there...

Just a clear coat to seal the decals and then it´s weathering time :D

then I have the ordinance, wheels, exhaust and gasbags to go :P

Cheers!

I'm still trying to come to terms with that 480 days of paternity leave deal.

When my kids were born, I got to have a piss, a smoke, and a look around......then straight back to the office :(

My boss is from Sweden originally, and told me they work and tax you like a dog in your working years, but you get a really nice cushy government supported retirement. Was he telling me porkies?

Anyway, I love the kits. The paint jobs are sweet.

I'm still trying to come to terms with that 480 days of paternity leave deal.

When my kids were born, I got to have a piss, a smoke, and a look around......then straight back to the office :(/>

My boss is from Sweden originally, and told me they work and tax you like a dog in your working years, but you get a really nice cushy government supported retirement. Was he telling me porkies?

Anyway, I love the kits. The paint jobs are sweet.

Thanx Thommo :D

We do pay lots of tax here, general income tax varies from 27% to 34% depending on the county you live in. And if you have a high income you have to pay additional tax directly to the state, up to 50%. wares and services has a 25% tax and food 20% tax. I think someone calculated that on average 85% of our earnings goes to a tax of some sort.

The high taxation goes with our view of the government and what it's supposed to do. In our view the government is there to take care of us, collectively. ...child care, health care, education and wellfare are all paid for through our tax.

That is interesting mate. I think our current (new) govt has exactly the opposite view. They are going harsh on welfare, education, health etc to try to encourage more 'self-reliance' (and are using the debt story to justify their view). It is a bit scary because frankly, I think a lot of Australians are financial fools who will struggle to become financially more self-reliant. But I guess you've got to start somewhere.

While I disagree with the handout mentality, I detect something in our PM (Abbott) which suggests he is a little too right-wing/hard-nosed. I dunno, maybe as I get older, I'm just becoming soft!

Our income tax rates slide from 0 to 45% as income increases, and there is a 10% GST on many purchased items (which you pay irrespective of income). The Abbott Govt is saying we need to reign in the debt (which frankly is miniscule compared to most other countries) so is a bit of a line. But I do see a problem looming with an aging population who will require more tax revenue to support, and less people working to generate that tax, so even if the debt is not a problem now, it could be later.

Anyhow, your thread has inspired me to try free-hand camo airbrush again. I have a 1/72 scale tank my wife got me in France, and might opt for the captured German camo colours and try freehand. I gave up in the past cos my Aztec spits too much, not enough fine control, but I forgot about acrylic retarder, so will give that a go.

I'm also thinking about buying a cheapie metal (normal!) airbrush online & seeing how that compares to the Aztec.

I agree with you, freehand looks more realistic.

That is interesting mate. I think our current (new) govt has exactly the opposite view. They are going harsh on welfare, education, health etc to try to encourage more 'self-reliance' (and are using the debt story to justify their view). It is a bit scary because frankly, I think a lot of Australians are financial fools who will struggle to become financially more self-reliant. But I guess you've got to start somewhere.

While I disagree with the handout mentality, I detect something in our PM (Abbott) which suggests he is a little too right-wing/hard-nosed. I dunno, maybe as I get older, I'm just becoming soft!

Our income tax rates slide from 0 to 45% as income increases, and there is a 10% GST on many purchased items (which you pay irrespective of income). The Abbott Govt is saying we need to reign in the debt (which frankly is miniscule compared to most other countries) so is a bit of a line. But I do see a problem looming with an aging population who will require more tax revenue to support, and less people working to generate that tax, so even if the debt is not a problem now, it could be later.

Anyhow, your thread has inspired me to try free-hand camo airbrush again. I have a 1/72 scale tank my wife got me in France, and might opt for the captured German camo colours and try freehand. I gave up in the past cos my Aztec spits too much, not enough fine control, but I forgot about acrylic retarder, so will give that a go.

I'm also thinking about buying a cheapie metal (normal!) airbrush online & seeing how that compares to the Aztec.

I agree with you, freehand looks more realistic.

I started with an Aztec and got by with it for 2 years before i mustered up some cash an bought a Badger 150.I used the badger for 5 years before my economy stabilized and I treated myself with two Iwatas.

I thought the Aztec was a descent enough AB, and with the fine nozzle you could shoot pretty well. Kind of miss it sometimes since the nozzle exchange system made it a very good AB to cover larger areas.

Thanx Thommo biggrin.gif

We do pay lots of tax here, general income tax varies from 27% to 34% depending on the county you live in. And if you have a high income you have to pay additional tax directly to the state, up to 50%. wares and services has a 25% tax and food 20% tax. I think someone calculated that on average 85% of our earnings goes to a tax of some sort.

The high taxation goes with our view of the government and what it's supposed to do. In our view the government is there to take care of us, collectively. ...child care, health care, education and wellfare are all paid for through our tax.

Wow, wow, wow jaw-dropping.gifjaw-dropping.gif !!!

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal years ago that calculated here in the U.S., approx. 47% of annual income goes to some form of tax. And I thought that was ridiculously high!

Back on topic:

The models are looking awesome!

What was wrong with the white decal lines for the upper wings that you had to redo via paint?

I started with an Aztec and got by with it for 2 years before i mustered up some cash an bought a Badger 150.I used the badger for 5 years before my economy stabilized and I treated myself with two Iwatas.

I thought the Aztec was a descent enough AB, and with the fine nozzle you could shoot pretty well. Kind of miss it sometimes since the nozzle exchange system made it a very good AB to cover larger areas.

When you say fine nozzle, do you mean the tan one? I've tried that one but it blocks and spits too much with acyrlics (but is fine with Alclad, enamels), so now use the black one for everything acrylic. Maybe I need to experiment more with acrylics plus retarder in the tan one?

When you say fine nozzle, do you mean the tan one? I've tried that one but it blocks and spits too much with acyrlics (but is fine with Alclad, enamels), so now use the black one for everything acrylic. Maybe I need to experiment more with acrylics plus retarder in the tan one?

Yup...

Just got to figure out the right mixture and use a little retarder. It'll still build up on the needle so you have to wipe it from time to time.

Wow, wow, wow jaw-dropping.gifjaw-dropping.gif !!!

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal years ago that calculated here in the U.S., approx. 47% of annual income goes to some form of tax. And I thought that was ridiculously high!

Back on topic:

The models are looking awesome!

What was wrong with the white decal lines for the upper wings that you had to redo via paint?

They didn't fit, the line is supposed to follow some panellines....but they were made to fit the old esci kit.

Oki weathering...

Not doing much, just a panel wash...

The C7 dirtied up...

IMG_1046_zpsb6dc2178.jpg

And the C2 dito...

IMG_1047_zps5edaa382.jpg

After a wipe and a flat coat...

IMG_1050_zps2082ff48.jpg

IMG_1051_zps9b5876eb.jpg

And the two side by side :D

IMG_1052_zps3c6f7e0e.jpg

Now on to the other stuff ...

Cheers!

Those look great and looking forward to the finished projects. I guess it is time to get going on my Kfirs. They are such beautiful aircraft and the many schemes available make is a must build subject at least for me.

I just picked up the new Kinetic F-21 kit and had the C-2 bought already. I actually have an Aztec sheet for Kfirs and probably made to fit the ESCI kit too. I will do a test before using on the kit. Thanks for the update.

Those look great and looking forward to the finished projects. I guess it is time to get going on my Kfirs. They are such beautiful aircraft and the many schemes available make is a must build subject at least for me.

I just picked up the new Kinetic F-21 kit and had the C-2 bought already. I actually have an Aztec sheet for Kfirs and probably made to fit the ESCI kit too. I will do a test before using on the kit. Thanks for the update.

Thanx for the comment :D

I'm quite sure it's for the esci :) but i found a kinnetic specific sheet on hannants from wingman.

Time for some of the other stuff :P

Landing gears namely :)

Here´s the break up of the AMK struts... I really liked the separate scissor links for the MLGs. REally nice moulding, almost no middle seam on the parts.

Not a fan of the break up of the nose strut tho and there are wee sinkmarks in them. The parts feel crispier than the Kinnetics.

IMG_1053_zps70e77122.jpg

Kinetic went for a more traditional breakup, I like the nose strut but the MLGs look a bit less enticing than the AMK dito.

Comes with extra door acutators tho for the MLGs.

IMG_1054_zpsda263f02.jpg

A little let down from Kinetic, the pitot tube has kind of lost its point...may have to get me an aftermarket tube for this one....

IMG_1055_zps65287849.jpg

While the AMK came out nice...

IMG_1056_zpsdaa31549.jpg

With the parts cleaned I primed them in black and shot gloss black were the alclad chrome would go....when the chrome was on I masked the areas.

IMG_1058_zpse651ece2.jpg

Then I first shot alclad white prime ron top....it covers so darn well, and then I shot gloss white on top of that and removed the masks.

IMG_1059_zps1093f88b.jpg

Here´s another slight difference, tho the wheels came together the same way (the hub a separate piece and the tire clamshelled the hub with thwo pieces.) they clearly differ in size.

The AMK wheels to the left are clearly larger than the Kinnetic wheels to the right. The hubs are the same size but the tires around them differ in size.

IMG_1060_zps8e1a7fef.jpg

The C2 got the Kinetic MB mark6...

IMG_1061_zpse4126550.jpg

And the C7 got its Mk 10 in place.

IMG_1062_zps7ac08641.jpg

Then finally the gears went on like a charm on both accounts....and they look stilty as they should on those high struts :D

IMG_1066_zps3acdc866.jpg

Cheers!