New 1/72 Super Constellation Detail Items from Fisher Models!!

If you build military aircraft, you'll know the name of Paul Fisher. Paul is a true artist, and a stickler for accuracy and detail. This is his new, hot out of the molds, detail and upgrade set for the Heller L-1049G Super Constellation.

Before you ask, this is BRAND NEW so he doesn't even have a retail price set yet. More information as soon as it's available! Just wanted to give you an idea of what the product looks like. Paul is working on other Connie items, including a detail/upgrade set for the military EC-121/WV-2 that will go a long way toward correcting the many and egregious errors in the Heller kit.

Meantime, here's a peek at the set that will be applicable to the civilian L-1049. All items have been mastered from photos and measurements of actual Connie airframes. No guess work here. Items included are entirely new cowlings with open or closed cowl flaps; new prop blades; "salad bowl" spinner aft bodies; spinners; wheels; tip tanks; and tankless wing tips (not shown).

L-1049resin.jpg

I've two Heller EC-121 kits in my stash. The radomes are wrong? How are they "massively" wrong?

There are conversion kits out there with the EC-121 radomes, presumably for conversions of L-1049 kits...how do they rate?

I have to admit that I'm a novice and probably not a discerning or exacting as some here. I probably would not have known about the radomes.

Roo

Edited by Dakota Roo

I've two Heller EC-121 kits in my stash. The radomes are wrong? How are they "massively" wrong?

Wrong size, wrong shape, incorrect and missing details throughout. The belly bath tub in particular is far too small.

Where can you get Paul Fisher's products? That looks like a really nice update.

www.fishermodels.com

Edited by Jennings

This is kind of sick, in the bad sense - I haven't got the kit, but the resin looks so good I want to buy the kit so I have an excuse to buy the resin to go with it! :bandhead2:/>

John

+1

This is kind of sick, in the bad sense - I haven't got the kit, but the resin looks so good I want to buy the kit so I have an excuse to buy the resin to go with it! \

I'm sure *that's* never happened before :)

+2. :D/>/>/>/>/>/>

Thanks for the web site, Jennings.

Tom

Yeah...I understand. I saw the resin and goggled.

I went to the open box kit and looked at it...aside from the hideous blue color they moulded the plastic in, it looks okay...typical Heller stuff, y'know. I've built the C-121 "Berlin" kit and enjoyed it. It looks as though the kits all have raised panel lines. Getting the resin would just make the engines outclass the rest of the kit, but I'm still a mark.

So...now I await the release of the resin radomes.

ETA: There is the OzMods set of Warning Star radome conversions, currently selling on eBay...

Oz7203.jpg

Anybody know how they rate?

Maybe we'll have to have Jennings do a 'compare and contrast'?

Edited by Dakota Roo

I don't have the Oz ones, and didn't even know they exist. I do know that Paul Fisher went from detailed measurements and photos of the real thing. And everybody knows what a stickler Paul is...

That's all right...I don't know whether the OzMods conversion was aimed at the existing EC-121s, or at converting commercial Super Connie kits to the EC. I was considering doing just that because of the rarity and cost of available EC kits, but have since obtained two at decent market prices. I've never seen anything but the online listing (because I've been shopping for Connie kits)for the OzMods. I'll take your word and acknowledge what I see online as to the requisite skills necessary to produce such quality products. I just don't know as my skinflint nature will be able to deal with inevitable cost of such exacting work. I really am going to look for somebody unbiased to do a 'compare and contrast' review with the new product and the OzMod product.

*sigh*

Y'all know about the three variables, right? Good, Fast, Cheap? Pick any two; if you're lucky, you might get both.

Edited by Dakota Roo

It takes a LOT more than two radomes to turn a 1049G into an EC-121 of any description...

Paul's stuff is going to be quite reasonably priced, given the size and complexity of what he's done.

Heh...We'll see. I suspect that the definition of "reasonably priced" varies greatly between users. Probably even more than the passion for detail. I have to admit, that had I built the Connies out without your announcement here, I probably would have been blissfully ignorant of the inaccuracies. Even to the extent that if I'd seen the real thing and actually noticed differences, I'd probably write them off as being due to variants. I am not nearly as demanding of verisimilitude as are you. That said, if I find the conversion sets reasonably priced, I'll certainly be obtaining a set, because they are gorgeous. But, then again, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Given the amount of work that goes into the masters, the cost of RTV rubber and resin, and the amount of time and effort that goes into casting multitudes of little resin parts, Paul's pricing will be **very** reasonable. Unless you're someone who thinks the cottage industry should be satisfied to work for $1 per hour....

Well this is good news for sure. I had started my EC-121 many years ago and I think it finally went to plastic heaven, I got so frustrated with it. I had even started to do some work on the cowlings like adding in the exhaust stubs and fixing the prop spinner combo. Still have those pieces to remind me of the pain and not to do it again :)

I have another unbuilt kit in the stash so I will have to get one of these sets when it gets released. Also, I seem to remember that there was a set of cowlings, spinners and props released many years ago by a Czech company but I don't think it is available any more. I believe David Cooper models used to carry them?

There were cowlings done originally by DB Productions, later picked up by Flightpath in the UK. Not aware of any from the Czech Republic. The problem with the DB set is that they're not complete. The props and spinners in the Heller kit are beyond horrible, so putting new cowlings on it and using those props and spinners is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

HaHen in Germany also has some stuff, but AFAIK his is only for the L-1049 civilian version. Paul is doing both military and civil Connie stuff.

Paul is working on some other stuff to really do the Connie up right, well beyond what's in the photo I've shown. Stand by for more info as it becomes available.

J

Unless you're someone who thinks the cottage industry should be satisfied to work for $1 per hour....

Gee...no. Do you wear garments manufactured in Asia? 'Swoosh'?

Edited by Dakota Roo

Hey Jennings now that you mention it you may be right and yeah it was for the civil version. For some reason I thought it was by a Czech company. No matter since it sounds like it is lucky I did not get it :)

I also just realized that I will probably have to wait for the military issue. Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

I have some other items from Paul (B-58 parts) and I am very impressed with the quality so these parts should be great.