Built wheel wells fix the see-through nacelles.

E-2C-nacelles_zpsb3b11ce4.jpg

And now the basic airframe is done:

E-2C-topside_zpsba3d8aef.jpg

E-2C-bottom_zps9cbbc060.jpg

I build 1/144 with opaque glass, so I'll just put the nose weight in the cockpit area and then mount the canopy. I'll need to add the blown side windows that are conspicuously absent.

Another build thread suggested mounting the radome support now so the legs can be faired in--I'm thinking about doing that. Also need to think about the arresting gear mount. I want to do that prior to painting too. I've got some more blanking to do there as well as doing the arresting hook differently so I can install it at the very end.

Edited by David N Lombard

It's small scale enables speed, even for me! Plus, I'm on vacation. Apart from the wheel wells and a small filler shim visible at the after wing-fuselage join, it's fitting together quite nicely with careful dry fitting.

Masking for the de-icing boots on the empennage will be fun, though...

I had figured on using the box markings, but now you have me wondering. So far, I found these Starfighter decals; any others that I should look at? I really like markings on the radome.

Note to others building this kit. Attend to the arresting gear area before you close up the fuselage! :bandhead2:/>

It was quite the trick to get the (white) blanking plate properly shaped and into place as the opening is smaller than the plate. But, finally got it in and it looks much better.

E-2C-tail_zpsca3f7a05.jpg

Now I can properly fair this in.

While I'm keeping an eye on that packer brisket in the smoker (just put in the smoker at 0100 PDT), I'll fair the tail, get the nose weight in, and worry about the blown side windows in the cockpit, and deal with the radome support.

Happy Independence Day

It's ready for the paint shop

E-2C-fuselage_zps596c8b8d.jpg

For the canopy glass, I'm going to trying something different. I dipped the clear part in future and then sprayed the inside with Alclad gloss black (the stuff you'd use as a base for Alclad Chrome).

E-2C-nose_zpsa7cf961a.jpg

I will next mask the glass areas and paint normally. When I remove the masking tape, I should have that highly glossy black glass showing; if this doesn't work, I can always paint the glass on the outside as usual.

I just noticed that OzMods has a conversion kit, OZCONV 14421, near the bottom of this page to turn this kit into a C-2A.

It's an interesting thought, but I'd have to find another kit...

It's ready for the paint shop

E-2C-fuselage_zps596c8b8d.jpg

For the canopy glass, I'm going to trying something different. I dipped the clear part in future and then sprayed the inside with Alclad gloss black (the stuff you'd use as a base for Alclad Chrome).

E-2C-nose_zpsa7cf961a.jpg

I will next mask the glass areas and paint normally. When I remove the masking tape, I should have that highly glossy black glass showing; if this doesn't work, I can always paint the glass on the outside as usual.

That's a good idea, but I've always heard the Alclad black takes forever to dry, almost a week later and it's still tacky, did you find that true? Look great so far! Keep up the good work.

Bill

That's a good idea, but I've always heard the Alclad black takes forever to dry, almost a week later and it's still tacky, did you find that true? Look great so far! Keep up the good work.

Didn't time it, but it was fairly quick.

Could have been at this point Friday night if I thought about the Future dip-cure time. Remember the five six Ps...

[Edit: Sadly, I can't count, it's six (6); Prior Planning Prevents P?ss-Poor Performance]

It's been painted and the MM enamel now drying. Should be cured by the time I return from Yosemite next week.

E-2C-painted_zps5b21463c.jpg

Off to the next build, which I also won't really get into until I return.

• 3 weeks later...

In looking for pix of the CAG aircraft from VAW-115, June 2006, USS KITTY HAWK, I noticed some have a band around the radome (especially this and this) and others don't (like this). I like the band, which is not shown in the RoG markings, but I'm not sure if that scheme also included the squadron insignia on the radome, which I Really Like.

A build by Darren Roberts here on ARC shows the band and the insignia for this AC. Anybody know of a shot of the upper surfaces for the actual aircraft beside this one:

vaw-115.jpg

Thanks. I find Alclad dries fast enough to not impede progress, but I'm in Southern CA, which is a wee bit drier than VA... I do need to wait for MM enamels to cure, which does slow down painting. But, spraying enamels is so much nicer than acrylic, that I'm happy to deal with this...

Progress in painting. Have the leading edges and outboard fins done. That was some serious masking.

For the nose, I'm thinking of just dipping the nose in thinned paint. I've read about this for, say, bombs, missiles, and tanks. Anybody tried this? Any tips?

E-2C-painted1_zps284e7891.jpg

E-2C-painted2_zps92def746.jpg

One of the nose weights shots freed itself, so it's a bit of a rattle toy now... :bandhead2:

• 4 weeks later...

That would be great. I PM'd you to work out the details.

On the painting front, I had a blotch that I needed to fix and somehow pulled the wrong gray :bandhead2: Finally managed to fix it, and I'm back on track.

• 2 months later...

The observant will have noticed that the black nose isn't yet done.

I've finally decided to try dipping the nose. So I'm thinking I should thin the paint to airbrush consistency. Is that about right?

• 2 weeks later...

Done! I ended up painting the nose by laying Parafilm on the nose and then cutting.

E-2C-finished-1_zps98351f93.jpg

E-2C-finished-2_zpsdc3c484b.jpg

E-2C-finished-3_zpsadea74a5.jpg

E-2C-finished-4_zpsa2a82f6e.jpg

E-2C-finished-5_zpscadf97ef.jpg

E-2C-finished-6_zps43faff7d.jpg

You can see the nose wheel is a tad off.

The crew escaoe RESCUE arrow is poorly placed; either I've got the fuselage stars and bars too high or they're too large.