Welcome to Out of Africa!

Welcome to 'Out of Africa', the Group Build that's going to showcase all aspects of African aviation! We're very fortunate to be sponsored by Harpia Publishing.

The GB rules are stated below, so put on your Basotho hat, jump into a Combi, throw another Springbok Steak on the Braai and join in the fun! Just don't get sunburnt...!

Basic Rules for entering the group build;

1. The Group Build is open to any aircraft (fixed or rotary wing) in any scale.

2. All entries must be of aircraft operated by any African military, paramilitary or civilian operator - see the full list of countries in a separate thread.

3. We are not accepting entries for non-African operators. This means no Afrika Korps or RAF units operating in North Africa etc. So, for example, a French Air Force Skyraider operating in Chad would not be allowed, but the same aircraft after it had been transferred to the Chadian Air Force would be. If in doubt, please ask.

4. All builds must be no more than 20% complete when starting (i.e. cockpit and/or ordnance completed).

5. All entries must be finished in the markings of genuine aircraft - no 'What If's'.

6. You must create an 'In Progress' thread in the forum with regular updates - please add the kit manufacturer, scale and aircraft designation into the Topic Description.

7. To be eligible for a prize, you must post your completed model in the 'Display Case' thread.

8. The Group Build will run from July 1st 2013 to December 31st 2013.

9. Harpia Publishing will be deciding the overall winners of the Group Build. All entries are eligible for a prize (except those entered by myself). Only completed entries will be eligible for prizes.

10. Multiple entries are allowed, but please create a new thread for each build.

11. Additional prize donations are more than welcome! Prize donators should be aware that they are responsible for packing and shipping of their donated prize(s), and that these may be international.

12. The GB Mods reserve the right to add additional rules as and when we realise we've missed something!

So - enough of the rules, let's get building!

Vince

I have an aircraft from Shapeways (a service that fabricates objects on a 3d printer). It only has 6 parts (fuselage, prop, 3 landing gear, canopy), although I will also be scratchbuilding the cockpit and creating the decals. Would that be acceptable?

I have an aircraft from Shapeways (a service that fabricates objects on a 3d printer). It only has 6 parts (fuselage, prop, 3 landing gear, canopy), although I will also be scratchbuilding the cockpit and creating the decals. Would that be acceptable?

Yep, that sounds good to me. I'll be interested to see how a kit made from a 3D printer turns out!

Vince

• 1 month later...

So I just received some South African Airways decals for an Airfix 737-200. I have a partially started 737 in the stash (fuselage glued together). Would that be too far along to include in the GB?

John

So I just received some South African Airways decals for an Airfix 737-200. I have a partially started 737 in the stash (fuselage glued together). Would that be too far along to include in the GB?

John

No, that's not too far gone. You're more than welcome to join!

Vince