Genuine interest in a 1/32 Bell 412/212??

Hi guys

As many of you know here I am a huge fan of Helicopters, particularly in 1/32. I have been a little slow with the BK-117 "Westpac Rescue" but not because I don't want to.

In the meantime I have been looking more seriously at producing a Bell 212/412 using CAD 3D printing technology. Quickly I realised that to make a fuselage was out of my capabilities and time to do it properly. With having a wife and son, rebuilding a plane and work/life in general I have decided to take it all to a professional. Initially I was looking at just a 'pointy and std nose' for the Revell Huey working in conjunction with my good friend Chris (see HueyRobs posts on the forum here regarding the std Huey nose 'fix'). But seeing your feedback we understand that working a lot with photoetch is not what everyone wants to do.

The costs to do the CAD work(the hard part) for a complete fuselage only with all panel lines, rivets, drains etc is expensive, but when I thought about the hours gone in I concluded that it was fair enough....it is a big job!

My thinking at the moment is that I really don't know whether to carry on and just build one myself with a pile of scratchbuilding and save the costs.

OR.....would there be anyone interested in helping me out with this 'fuselage only' at this stage? Sharing the costs between several of us with the common goal of each having a Bell 412/212 fuselage to either use as a start point, or continue on with skids, interior and rotorheads etc... I am sure this is for the real die-hard rotorheads out there only to contemplate. It wont be a shake and bake but it will be as far as I can tell a HIGHLY detailed fuselage shell to work with. If we could get enough interest it could potentially not be outrageously expensive and give a dozen or so of us a great project.

It is just a thought at the moment whilst I ponder where to go from here. I have posted this on LSP where I am often to be found!

Any serious thoughts/feedback etc??

Here is my choice...

Img_8455_zpsc2caec15.jpg

Img_8493_zps91b59190.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony

that's a great project. If you do the CAD in 1/32, design should be good for 1/35 too as there is only a scale conversion to do that will not have a big impact in wall thickness and panel lines deepness.

I wouldn't say that between 1/32 and 1/48...

hope to see that progessing

Norbert

If you are soliciting interest, then YES! I could use a few such conversions. I have been working on a couple of 412/CH-146 conversions myself, but that dang rotor head is a hard thing to scratchbuild to stay in scale, yet support the weight of the blades. Maybe if this part could be cast in some sort of metal?

Well thats busy alright.

How close is it to the kiowas rotorhead and linkage rods from the 412. Could that be a starting point for the conversion.

the photo of the rotor in the middle looks close to the kiowas rotor to me but I could be wrong.

oliver

Hmmm, I might flag it then.

Someone told me the printing will be expensive as well for a full fuse. I have asked for a price to print as well.

I appreciate all of your responses very much......I haven't given up completely at this stage

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Anthony

No for me, but it sounds like a popular idea. I use the Italeri kit and the Belcher Bits conversion for the Griffen in 1/48 scale. Comes out pretty darn nice.

Ok, I might take this further.

For those who are genuinely interested in wanting a 412 and keen on seeing if we can make this work please PM me.

I will set up an email group to communicate. With the end outcome to be as much or as little of a Bell 412 as you desire. We can look at the sums, figure out if you want to go ahead and then split the costs depending on what we all want to do.

Ideally 10 people could chip in to do the CAD work for a 32nd 412 and it would work out quite a good price. However printing isn't cheap......especially if you are looking at a complete kit!

Like I say, may not be worth it but PM me and we can discuss whether or not to go ahead.

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony, very interested approach to a subject that is not available in large scale. Now, I'm no expert on Huey or any other helo, but how hard will it be to make a 1/35 conversion for Dragon UH-1D or N??

Mike