I was pleased as punch to find out that an interested investor (Viking Aircraft) had acquired all the de Havilland Canada rights from Boeing and they were intent on restarting production on the Twin Otter. One of my favorites, resurrected.

Now, I find that Dornier has reemerged as Dornier Seaplane and has a prototype of a 14-20 passenger composite seaplane they are planning on producing in Quebec. Have you seen the Seastar? Wow...a beauty. Twin engine turboprop, push-pull. It looks a LOT like the Do-18G. It looks as though the Dornier seaplane legacy has been revived after the original was swallowed up in the corporate conglomeration and digested. Yay!

So...How long until we get a decent injected Dornier Seastar kit? In 1/72, of course. :popcorn:

Edited by Dakota Roo
  • 2 weeks later...

That thing has been around for quite awhile and I sort of thought the project had died out.They also put together something I believed they called the DO-24T with 3 PT-6s, what happened to it I wonder?

Oh, yeah...

It's still out there. It's the Dornier Do-24 ATT. It is owned by Iren Dornier, grandson of the founder, Claude Dornier. I understand it spends most of its time island hopping around the South China Sea on errands for UNICEF.

It's a gorgeous craft, even after all these years. Of course, it has gotten extraordinary care and upkeep.

ETA: It looks like these days it is in and around the Dornier Museum at Lake Constance, in or near Friedrichshafen, Germany.

Edited by Dakota Roo

Well...a little off the Dornier line, but in the same vein, this little something kinda strikes me as the Republic Seabee in a modern incarnation:

seamax1b.jpg

It's the SEAMAX. It looks fun to me. Sorry, no known kits.

I guess I can hope that Piaggio will introduce an updated Royal Gull (P-136). That'd be a hattrick.

Oh, my pleasure...I think so, too. Those Dorniers,they know how to do 'classy'. The Do-24 ATT and now the Seastar....beautiful, 'classy' craft,IMBO.

Untitled-1_03.jpg

Yeah, baby...

Edited by Dakota Roo

In 2003 the Do-24ATT was flown to the Philippines to be used as a high end island hopper. At the time several aviation

mags had write-ups about a world tour it completed before settling in the land of 7,000 islands.

Wayne