1/72 SAAF Mirage F.1CZ

Hi! So, my first entry for this GB will be a South African Mirage F.1CZ - specifically #213 at some point after Johan Rankin's first MiG kill, so with the little Angolan roundel kill marking. I'm using the Airfix kit (1/72) along with decals from Mav Decals.

The materials:

100_0474_zps4ec8bc7e.jpg

Having had Monday off for Canada Day, I was able to get a fair start to the build, and this is where it currently stands:

100_0475_zps4b8c7272.jpg

A question for the SAAF experts: what sort of loadout should I go for? I'd like to put something appropriate to a Border War mission that #213 may have found itself on after the kill mark was applied... R550s and drop tanks? Or something A2G perhaps?

R550's on the wing tips, MATRA 155 (68mm rocket pods) or Mk.82's on the wings and a centre drop tank? Although, I have a picture of Johan Rankin somewhere taken after his victory showing R550's on the wingtips but no wing stores. He would have taken-off with a centre drop tank I'm sure. PM me and I'll send you the picture.

Thanks for that, Nicolaas!

vince14: This is my first time with this kit, but given the raised panel lines I'll assume that it's the same mouldings as in the past.

I remember building that exact kit years ago. <...>

:D Same here. Build that one back when we lived in Kenya (some toy shops carried Airfix kits). Ah, the memories. Didn't survive the move back to Germany, though.

I remember being about eight years old or so, and seeing that box art in my local model shop - I had to have that kit! So after much pooling of resources (basically begging my mum to give me an advance on my pocket money) I went home happy. Can't remember what happened to that kit in the end.

I might have to buy another one!

Vince

Hi Litvyak,

The correct load out for that particular mission was 2 x R550 Magic, one on each wingtip and one natural metal colour droptank on the centreline

Greg, thanks for that - would such a loadout have been appropriate for some mission /after/ the kill mark was applied?

Yes it would, that was the most common Air to Air configuration during the border war, that kill was made in 1981 and the war continued until 1989.

So this is progressing too, though a bit slowly, as I've been focussing on finishing a build for another GB.

I've got the wings on and putty applied.

100_0491_zps32b9174f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't have time to work on it yesterday, but here's the status as of last night:

100_0543_zps21dce1c8.jpg

This was one of the more annoying masking jobs I've had to do!

Hope to get more done as I've got the next two days off work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, got it finished with hardly any time left!

Frustrating was the MAV Decals stencils not providing any info on where what should go, so I had to go by best guesses based on French Mirages...

100_0663_zps56e4b93e.jpg

100_0666_zps9a8564b1.jpg

I've put a couple more photos in the Display Case!

Thanks to gregair for all the reference help, and to everyone else for encouragement! :)