Five questions you need to stop asking

A tongue in cheek look into the annoying questions asked on forums like this one.

And six articles you may have missed on Scale Model Soup last month:

• An example of excellent rigging and modeling
  • A look a Charo (yes, Charo)
  • Are your models ugly on the inside? They should be.
  • Why most book reviews are terrible
  • What rivet counters have in common with country music
  • A Moldovan MiG-29-13...if that's your thing

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I'm shocked, shocked (in my best Claude Rains voice) that you'd not notice the difference between the various brands of RLM 71 out there, and why brand X is the closest.

And who's Francois Verlinden? :D

Seriously, I started reading your blog a while back and enjoy it.

BTW, I also find it annoying when people wear sunglasses indoors, unless there is a legitimate medical reason, which there rarely is.

Edited by zeus60

Oh come ON!!! What, we're all supposed to start talking about the weather...? :rofl: Actually, that's anudder one: "Do you think this is too much/too little weathering?" Well, maybe thrusting your latest creation into a slurry pond was just a tad OTT...

(OMG, a FRUITBAT!!! At LAST! Hope it's 1/48... :pray: )

A tongue in cheek look into the annoying questions asked on forums like this one.

And six articles you may have missed on Scale Model Soup last month:

• An example of excellent rigging and modeling
  • A look a Charo (yes, Charo)
  • Are your models ugly on the inside? They should be.
  • Why most book reviews are terrible
  • What rivet counters have in common with country music
  • A Moldovan MiG-29-13...if that's your thing

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Sir

You NAILED IT!!! :worship::worship:

even though I am the most useless novice of all time, I must say I do shake MY head and think WHAT.. :bandhead2:

.one more for you." Why didn't anyone post in MY thread even though there were Nth visitors. Doesn't any One care?" :whistle:

:whistle:

SO THANK YOU....by the way weather here is sunny, with a slight breeze, the sky is slightly weathered with subtle BLUE. with a hint of weathered looking WHITE...THE SUN IS RED...BUT it's tinged with orange ..not sure if that is the right coloring. :coolio:

Edited by HOLMES

according to some, Mike, there is a correct 2013 internet answer for that question

"it is your model, paint it any random blue you think it must have been",,,,,,no references are to be given to that guy, no paint swatches, no model paint range paint number

the modeling community will welcome with open arms and heap praise upon the model if it is painted this color http://www.testors.com/products/573078 , which is as equal a match as this color http://www.testors.com/products/573080

but, saying that you should start with this http://www.testors.com/products/573104 and giving tips on modifying it to match each different year or aircraft type operated by the team is something that gets one labeled as a "Color Nasty", and completely stops someone from being able to grab this paint http://www.testors.com/products/573449 and having fun painting a model

that logic is the same as if I said that "all of this Spitfire and Zero historical info is inhibiting my Skyhawk and Phantom building",,,,,,,,,too much info doesn't stop anything a person wants to do,,,,,,too little can

but, saying that you should start with this http://www.testors.com/products/573104 and giving tips on modifying it to match each different year or aircraft type operated by the team is something that gets one labeled as a "Color Nasty", and completely stops someone from being able to grab this paint

I prefer the term "color nazi". As it is non-PC for maximum effect.

I once had someone on these forums call me out as non-PC for saying that. Oh brother. We could start a blog on PC in modeling as well!

I think I am really out of touch with today's hobby and the websites pertaining to it

I would actually be called a color Nazi for giving a correct answer to a guy asking about Blue Angel Blue matches for different years?,,,,,,,by people that I might add, would never be tempted to call me any kind of Nazi in person,,,twice

okay, shrug,,,,,,I give in to the "majority",,,,,,all that helping and stuff is wrong, and inhibits anyone from being able to freely choose their own colors

So asking the question about whether "Blue Angel Blue" on a F9F-8T (Blue Angel 7) is slightly lighter than the current USN "Blue Angel Blue" and how to co-ordinate that with the color of said aircraft on May 7, 1957 at NAS Pensacola, FL at 1545PM in the afternoon while sitting on the tarmac on display... :P :woot.gif::whistle: would get me labelled as a color-counter as opposed to a rivet counter?

Edited by The_Animal

apparently,,,,,,,,,and it would be an extreme modeling crime to be the guy giving an actual answer, because as soon as a guy gives that answer,,,,,it is then impossible for you to have the free will to choose a different actually available pre-mixed color that you think is good enough for your own private model

Edited by Rex

I gotta agree with Rex...

One of the great things about ARC, Hyperscale, etc is the ability to ask what one doesn't know and get answers from folks that really do know the answers ...

What is wrong with the want to build a model as close as possible to the real subject ? If one wants to build "close enough", that's okay too but if someone is striving for historical accuracy, they shouldn't be shunned nor those that try to help them ...

We'll lose the "Resource" of Aircraft Resource Center ...

-Gregg

Well, there ARE cases to justify shades... my eyes are so ridiculously light sensitive that a half-hour of exposure to normal light without the protection of polarized lenses is a recipe for a migraine. (With a particular form of autism I have, miswired senses similar to that are fairly common.)

And as far as I'm concerned, Political Correctness can do anatomically impossible things one does not discuss in polite company with itself and its entire extended family. :P

And as far as I'm concerned, Political Correctness can do anatomically impossible things one does not discuss in polite company with itself and its entire extended family. :P/>

And I'd pay to watch!

What about the people that convert any thread about a new kit into a yeah that's great but my top 5 wish list for non-existing kits are ...

That's what I was like as a little kid at Christmas. I'd open a gift and then ask for another one.

(This is likely to make it into a future SMS article!)

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I think all of the questions are relevant, save maybe for "is X's website down". Modelling forums are just that, forums for people who love getting technical and enjoy talking about and building models. It's for people who consider a new molding of a MiG-25 akin to the release of the latest Hermes handbag and we should be allowed to get excited and giddy about when it is going to come out. If I want the exact colour for a particular aircraft and someone knows it, then God dang it I will ask.

And when I've have spent close to $200 of my hard earned on a kit and I want to know if blending two chemicals together is going to cause a meltdown I will ask, because maybe I don't want to try it on a spare model because the plastic from a cheapo may react differently to the plastic from my premio. The whole "what should I build next" question I think is relevant because we all have our favourite modellers out there and we love their WIP threads as much as we like their finished models. And with some of the talent in these forums it's like asking your favourite director what movie you would like to see next.

• 4 weeks later...

And as far as I'm concerned, Political Correctness can do anatomically impossible things one does not discuss in polite company with itself and its entire extended family. :P/>/>

And telling someone to blow it out their left ear and do biologically impossible things with a hockey stick inserted in a bodily cavity that doesn't normally take such things...is bound to get someone banned from the forum...unfortunately. Because as of late my tolerance level for idiocy has reached an all-time low. ~sigh~ Must be because I'm getting to the age where most idiots can go do biologically impossible things with things ordinarily not inserted in bodily crevices. :evil-laughter: I have no time for such "idiots".

Edited by The_Animal