I haven't decided what squadron to build yet but here's how my build looks like so far after a couple of days.

2s9f8ya.jpg

LASTE mods have been removed, sheet styrene glued under those mods to help fill in with putty

Edited by Benner

wings and stabilizers glued on.

test fitted a nameplate printed on regular paper, hopefully it will turn out when I print on decal paper.

2ijrmfn.jpg

If the decal looks fine, I'll build a 76th TFS jet. Specifically 80-0163 of the 76th TFS "Vanguards" which was flown by Lt. John Marks. Who along with Captain Eric Solomonson set a record for the number of tanks destroyed in a day.

we_give_no_quarter_4.jpg

Looking nice so far.

I am contemplating joining the build with my own HB A-10, and if I do I will be modelling a Myrtle Beach based plane circa 1986 or so.

Can you point me somewhere to learn what I would have to do to the kit to remove the LASTE modifications like you did?

Thanks!

Looking nice so far.

I am contemplating joining the build with my own HB A-10, and if I do I will be modelling a Myrtle Beach based plane circa 1986 or so.

Can you point me somewhere to learn what I would have to do to the kit to remove the LASTE modifications like you did?

Thanks!

I can just tell you myself ..

-the two bumps on lower side of the fins need to be removed

-fill in the circular hole behind the canopy for the GPS

-putty over the formation light strips behind the canopy, and the strip light just above the lower panel for the canopy release

some additional stuff depending on the serial, I'm assuming what they had in 86 is the same as 1991:

-remove the ALR-46 radar warning antenna on bottom rear of the tail (that blocky triangular thing)

-move the UHF antenna under the gun further back and to the side

-add another vent blister between the upper UHF antenna and the IFF antenna, it's offset to the side a bit.

Edited by Benner

just a bit more sanding, and a couple mods and this kit will be ready for preshading. The engines are dryfitted as I think it will be easier to paint before gluing onto the fuselage.

33v1zes.jpg

currently working on the planned weapon load: 4 AGM-65 Mavericks, 4 Mk82, an ALQ-119, and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders

Edited by Benner

just a bit more sanding, and a couple mods and this kit will be ready for preshading. The engines are dryfitted as I think it will be easier to paint before gluing onto the fuselage.

33v1zes.jpg

currently working on the planned weapon load: 4 AGM-65 Mavericks, 4 Mk82, an ALQ-119, and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders

Leaving the engine pods off is a good idea to be able to get the airbrush into that area when it's time to paint that tri color wrap around scheme. I will do the same when it gets to that point in my build as well.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

Your on fire

keep it up you might beat phantom to the display case :P/>

The only way I can beat Phantom is when he doesn't participate ;)

Since the humidity has gone done, I've finally been able to do some airbrushing. Preshade is done and I've started painting the camoulage.

30xbpn8.jpg

Ok ill bite. Why's the starboard engine face unpainted? Was it a field repair from a grey bird not sure if you've posted pics of the aircraft you're building.

Looks sweet as always though.

Cuz I wasn't done painting at that point yet; a full camouflage takes a long time to paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! How was the Hobby Boss kit to build? I'm working on the 1/48 Italeri offering, and man its pretty bad. A lot of putty and sanding,  Thanks, Rob

I like the hobbyboss kit, seems pretty easy / quick to assemble. The areas you will need a bit more putty is along the underside and the engine pods.

Here is how it looks now. Putting decals and washing the kit.

2ciftpl.jpg