working on the load out. Still got the Sidewinders and Maverick launch rail to finish. The Maverick launcher had to be slightly modified, since they will only have two missiles each, I had to fill in the gaps in the rail. Once everything is painted and decaled, I'll flat cote everything.

55j9j7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/10/2013 at 1:01 AM, Benner said:

The kit pylons don't have any sway braces, so I took the braces from the MER and glued them to the pylons.

Wow, your build is fantastic! I have this same kit, but I don't have near enough skills and experience to try and modify the aircraft the same way you did, so mine will likely be an OOB build, if I have money, a few upgrades via PE and resin.

Anyway, what did you mean by MER braces? I am new to the world of modelling and unfamiliar with most of the terminology. I also would love to do the same camo pattern that you went with, but not trusting of my skills just yet. If I mask it properly, I might get a decent finish, crossing my fingers when I reach that point.

I haven't built a model in 30 years, so I am trying to ease my way back, starting with two AH-6J conversions via CMK. That will be my first resin and PE attempt in my life!

I did buy aftermarket decals for the A-10, but now that I have the kit with me, I probably should have saved the money as the included decals cover the same airframes and look pretty good as well. Opps!

Any recommendations for me as I build this, any warnings or hiccups that I should be aware of? Also, where did you find your photos for the walk-arounds? I usually go to scalemates, but maybe you have another source that I am unaware of. Another good place to find pics is primeportal.net, they have millions of pictures for research purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

PS. I remember when I was stationed in Germany, the main live fire range was attached to my base in Vilseck. The Graf fire range is the biggest in Europe, so we had everything from our M4's to 155mm arty rounds being fired there. We also had a LOT of A-10's doing gun runs, only wish I had a camera back then to film it. If you have never seen the A-10 breathing fire, it is spectacular, no video does it justice!

13 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

Wow, your build is fantastic! I have this same kit, but I don't have near enough skills and experience to try and modify the aircraft the same way you did, so mine will likely be an OOB build, if I have money, a few upgrades via PE and resin.

Anyway, what did you mean by MER braces? I am new to the world of modelling and unfamiliar with most of the terminology. I also would love to do the same camo pattern that you went with, but not trusting of my skills just yet. If I mask it properly, I might get a decent finish, crossing my fingers when I reach that point.

I haven't built a model in 30 years, so I am trying to ease my way back, starting with two AH-6J conversions via CMK. That will be my first resin and PE attempt in my life!

I did buy aftermarket decals for the A-10, but now that I have the kit with me, I probably should have saved the money as the included decals cover the same airframes and look pretty good as well. Opps!

Any recommendations for me as I build this, any warnings or hiccups that I should be aware of? Also, where did you find your photos for the walk-arounds? I usually go to scalemates, but maybe you have another source that I am unaware of. Another good place to find pics is primeportal.net, they have millions of pictures for research purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino

PS. I remember when I was stationed in Germany, the main live fire range was attached to my base in Vilseck. The Graf fire range is the biggest in Europe, so we had everything from our M4's to 155mm arty rounds being fired there. We also had a LOT of A-10's doing gun runs, only wish I had a camera back then to film it. If you have never seen the A-10 breathing fire, it is spectacular, no video does it justice!

Thanks for the compliment Anthony; and welcome back to the hobby 🙂

My build is mostly OOB as there is no aftermarket resin sets on it, well the bomb fuses are resin but that doesn't count 😉

With regards to the MER braces,  I mean the Multiple Ejector Rack sway braces.  Those are the bomb racks in the kit (I think they're in the kit), that can hold 6 bombs.  Each bomb position had a couple anti-sway braces to hold the bomb in place.  I transplanted some of those onto the wing pylons by cutting a small notch in the pylon and gluing on.

Which decal set did you get?  I would suggest you still use it.  I avoided the kit decals because I found them rather poor looking.

There's no serious issues with the kit for me, it looks "good enough" for my tastes.  You can get various aftermarket sets to make it look more accurate, like the intakes but .. good enough.  This was my third Hobbyboss A-10, this one I painted the engines separately to make things easier.  

Primeportal is typically by go to place for reference photos.  I do try to find pics of the actual plane I am building; that is often a factor with what plane I decide to build.  My builds are all from Desert Storm time frame, so I also research the load out and aircraft details, like what antenna arrangement they had then, etc.  I also had an A-10 in Detail book to research on further details.

Never saw an A-10 do a gun run.  actually, never been to an airshow either...  did see a Hornet overfly my workplace on Saturday though 🙂

Good luck with your builds 

4 hours ago, Benner said:

I do try to find pics of the actual plane I am building; that is often a factor with what plane I decide to build.  My builds are all from Desert Storm time frame, so I also research the load out and aircraft details, like what antenna arrangement they had then, etc

I don't know how you guys do all that pre-build research, maybe one day I will get to that point. Right now, I just want to get my first kit on a  shelf. I did happen across something funny last night while looking at the revell F-15E on scalemates. As I scrolled down the long list of aftermarket items for the kit, I happened upon a decal set. It had about 12 different serials and as I glanced at it, something made me stop for a closer look, don't even know why. Anyway, once I had the decal page open in a different tab, I began looking at the names. Then it popped, I must have picked up the "deadpool" name as my eyes glanced over the small picture, subconsciously causing me too investigate further. Sure enough, this bird has deadpoop riding a unicorn double blazing from both hands, I have to build that plane!

43778288_299427290785120_712031040232703

Cheers!