Will first start with the Tamiya kit, will modify the TD cockpit set, Experts Choice decal set #48-29, the boys from S. Carolina, in Euro 1 scheme, ordnance from a couple of Hase weapons set, Wolfpack DRA AIM-9 launch rails and CE Black Magic mask.

ta10513h.JPG

Have read several reviews of the shortcomings of this kit. But still build to an impressive model once the mods are made to bring it up to date. (At least what an A-10 was in 1991).

ma10513f.JPG

Happy 4th. More forthcoming, hopefully some images tomorrow as we get this started.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Today as I prepare both the Tam and Revell A-10s just a quick comparison of both fuselages to see the philosophy of each manufacturer. The approach of each kit is quite different.

mta10513b.JPG

The top fuselage is the Tamiya A-10 in the lighter OD plastic, the Revell kit in Dk Green.

The nose gear bay is assembled differently as well. Where as the Revell kit will have you install the nose strut right off the bat (don't care for this much, as Monogram/Revell does this quite often). The Tam A-10 is a simpler step in we can install the nose gear strut later in construction.

mta10513a.JPG

Now starting with the Tamiya kit, with Polly Scale Dk Gull Grey for the nose gear bay,

wheel bays and cockpit interior. Gear struts and doors. Resin cockpit and components painted as well.

ta10513g.JPG

ta10513e.JPG

t10513f.JPG

The TD seat: detail painting to follow,

ta10513k.JPG

Will use the TD IP, replacing the decals provided for the IP and consoles.

ta10713a.JPG

Next working on some sub assemblies before tackling the cockpit mod. Hopefully will get it to fit properly for the Tam A-10, that is designed for the MonoRevell kit.

More to follow,

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 3 weeks later...

I could be wrong but the Euro1 A-10s I saw and photographed so many years ago seemed to have 16473 ADC gray struts and wheels. I presume the wells were the same color. Whatever color you choose, looks like you're off to a fine start.

Scott Wilson

I could be wrong but the Euro1 A-10s I saw and photographed so many years ago seemed to have 16473 ADC gray struts and wheels. I presume the wells were the same color. Whatever color you choose, looks like you're off to a fine start.

Scott Wilson

Scott, I will be painting the gear Lt grey as I saw them back in 1991. And thanks for the encouragement.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back to the Tam A-10 I had used the Legends cockpit set on the Revell A-10, but did not use the IP coaming. I decided to not use it on the Revell kit, but I can use it on the Tam A-10 which has no detail, very plain. Compared to the stock Revell A-10.

ta10713b.JPG

Now taking a chance to remove the kit's very basic Ip coaming. And crossing my fingers that the Legend piece will fit, designed for the Rev A-10. First removing the kit part carefully. Scribing and trimming right where it meets the edge of the cockpit.

ta10713e.JPG

The coaming removed.

ta10713d.JPG

And now to install the resin mod to the fuselage with Cyno.

ta10713c.JPG

Walla it fits perfect, though it does sit a shade higher when I compare it to the Revell base coaming that is moulded on the kit. A quick test fit of the windscreen there is no conflict with the resin mod. Whew, now I can breathe. So far so good. I think I will give it a rest on the Tam A-10. More to follow as I assemble the engine pods on both kits. Thanks for viewing.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 months later...

If interested, I think i have some resin engine fan/inlets that would Greatly enhance what is given in the kit. I think I found a 1/16" strip had to be added to the outboard engine pod halves to enlarge their diameter as well. I built one way back in the early 80's and IIRC I made an inlet with plastic sheet rolled into a circle. Much easier to fix with resin engines, plus corrects the narrow pod diameter. And I recall I had to narrow the main gear pods (compare them to the Revell/Monogram) by grinding them down, but might be easier to replace them with extra Revell ones? And finally, IIRC the wingtips were too large and needed some reshaping? Maybe that was in the first issue gray one.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have the workshop set after moving to our new home. (still renting, but very cozy for now). Time to get back to building. With some built models suffering some damage on the move did some repairing before getting back to ongoing projects. And to get some of the clutter off the workbench. And one is the A-10 project. Tonight I got the engine pods painted and assembled. Again Tamiya's version is quite different than Revell's way of construction, and also quite heavy once completed. After painting the exhaust burnt steel and installed on the upper half of the engine pod section.

ta10713h.JPG

The engine cowls are quite thick, compared to Revell's A-10.

ta10713j.JPG

The engine fans are painted Alclad steel. And then installed.

ta10713g.JPG

With the engine fans installed, the pods are now ready to have the engine cowl rings installed. This kit is a combo of fine raised panel lines and engraved panel lines. But mostly I would say a raised panel kit like the Revell kit. No rivets present.

ta10713f.JPG

Tamiya's A-10 uses 5 parts to build the pods. 2 eng cowl rings, the main engine pods moulded with the pylons that attached to the fuselage and 2 parts for the engine pod covers.

ta10513d.JPG

Here we have Revell's and Tamiya's pods side by side, Tam's pods a shade larger in size. And much heavier, i have a feeling I do not have enough weight in the nose.

mta10713a.JPG

After installing one of the cowl rings this portion of the build is done. Next to prep the wings and tail plane then to install on the fuselage.

ta10713k.JPG

Back on track, 1st weekend of November. 2 months left for this GB.

Chuck

Fly Navy