The 2nd A-10 in this GB will be Revellograms A-10. Depends on what decal I will find if this is an A-10 that flew during Iraqi or Enduring freedom. In the mean time I will get things lined up, starting with the Legends cockpit set, Wolfpack DRA Sidewinder launch rails, The Shawn Hull engine correction and closed deceleron set and the AN/ALQ 184 ECM pod. Will need to get a set of Royal Resin wheels. Some ordnance from a couple of the Hase weapons set. And hoping to locate the LASTE upgrade set to complete the mods.

The kit:

ma10713a.JPG

The upgrades that I have so far:

ma10513s.JPG

The launch rails:

ma10513f.JPG

So with that more images later as using the holiday to get some prep work started.

More to come.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Normally a step we don't mention, is as we get started on a project, I normally go over each sprue that is in the kit, check for loose,damaged or missing parts. The clear sprue can ruin your day if it is missing or broken. But the kit is complete though I did manage to notice one of the main wheels is not quite usable.

ma10513r.JPG

Thus the need for Royal Resin wheels.

Next was to test fit the Legends cockpit into the fuselage, tape it together and see how much to cut it down so the gear bay would fit properly. The Legend pit is a large piece of resin, which will help in the weight for the nose, includes the rear decking.

ma10513e.JPG

After a quick test fit, next to go over some quick detail fixes, like drilling out the port right under the LH engine pod.

ma10513j.JPG

ma10513i.JPG

The Tam A-10 has this already opened.

After this step I will work on the engine pod sub assy's next time. Thanks for viewing.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Working on the Revellogram A-10, before cutting the pods off the sprue, airbrushed the rear portion of the inner pods MM Gun Metal.

ma10513p.JPG

Airbrushed non buffing exhaust and Metalizer Burnt Metal, on the tailpipe. Prior to assembly.

ma10513o.JPG

Tailpipe and exhaust cone assembled before installation into the pods. Then the LH exhaust tail pipe installed. Have to remember that this is upside down at the moment.

ma10513n.JPG

ma10513m.JPG

At this time I will leave off the engine fans as they will be replaced. So I will go ahead and assemble the rest of the sub assy less the fans.

ma10513l.JPG

In the meantime I went ahead and assemble the wings and tail planes. I have a feeling I should've held off on the tail planes. As a quick test fit on the fuselage are quite loose. So I have a feeling I will need to be careful when I try to install them or it can get to the point I might get them misaligned. Hmmm...

ma10513k.JPG

Well got some progress going on here, next lets get the cockpit painted up and installed into the fuselage and get it together. I have enough sinkers I hope for both A-10's to keep the nose down. So for now have a great day. Hot here in So. Cal, over 100 today. So stay cool where ever you may be. Have a fine Navy day.

Chuck

Fly Navy

After some sub assy work, back to the cockpit. As stated before the Legend pit is one big piece which includes the rear deck. Nice that the Revell kit has this as a separate piece in the kit. So no need to remove any plastic here. Unlike the Tam A-10 has this molded in. After some test fitting some trimming will be needed to clear the LH avionics bay that protrudes into the inner half. In between some time trimming, painted the nose strut white and the nose gear bay Lt Grey. Prior to assy.

ma10513h.JPG

The nose strut, nose gear bay and lower fuselage insert assembled. Brake lines painted Ft Blk and oleo is Testor Chrome Silver. Set aside and test fit into the fuselage with the cockpit insert for alignment.

ma10513g.JPG

I will use the kit IP instead of the Legend Ip, only because it will be easier to install. Once the fuselage halves are mated.

ma10513c.JPG

So we will leave off here for now. Progressing slowly as expected. Other than the time taken to get the cockpit tub to fit without conflicting with the other components with in the fuselage. More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update, the Royal Resin wheels arrived. So still need the Laste Update set to get from Sierra Hotel and still looking for a set of decals for Enduring or Iraqi Freedom bird.

ma10813a.JPG

Working on the engine pods. Assembled them and started cutting off the forward portion of one of the nacelles so I can install the Shull engine face/fan.

ma10713e.JPG

After a test fit, need to remove a locating pin so the resin piece will align properly.

ma10713d.JPG

The Shull engine fan installed, rough but nothing than just filling a seam, though not such a simple task to really hide the modification. But really a vast improvement over the kit supplied parts.

ma10713b.JPG

With the RH side pod finished, next to work on the LH side and install, while doing that is to finally install the cockpit and assemble the fuselage halves, once that gets done, things will progress a little more quickly as the mods and resin bits are what take the time to make the adjustment so they fit properly. Yet then again, the Revell A-10 is not a quick build, so looking forward for the seam work yet to come. More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good going Chuck, could you please clarify how you came about the engine/deceleron set for me? Thanks.

I got the set from Shawn Hull a few years ago when he first produced it. The engine set can also be used on the S-3 Viking as well. This is the first opportunity to use it. I believe Sierra Hot Models produce a similar set now. You can ask Netz he is one of the partners in that company.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reply Chuck, asked because I instantly recognized the packaging as my own! I used to send my resin engine/Closed deceleron sets that way for protection, and Yes I did sell a set to Shawn years ago-small hobby world huh? They are sold through Sierra Hotel now. A build tip is that you do not need to install the engine fronts until after you install the entire Nacelle to the fuselage so you can sand the seam. It is easier with more access. Note that the S-3 engine set is very different with the only similar part being the TF-34 engine fan. Nice build going, can't wait to see her done...

Edited by phasephantomphixer

Thanks for reply Chuck, asked because I instantly recognized the packaging as my own! I used to send my resin engine/Closed deceleron sets that way for protection, and Yes I did sell a set to Shawn years ago-small hobby world huh? They are sold through Sierra Hotel now. A build tip is that you do not need to install the engine fronts until after you install the entire Nacelle to the fuselage so you can sand the seam. It is easier with more access. Note that the S-3 engine set is very different with the only similar part being the TF-34 engine fan. Nice build going, can't wait to see her done...

Anytime, it is good to see that the set is still offered. It is a great update for the A-10. It really enhances a decent Monogram kit, just wondered if it would work on the Tam kit. The engineering is a little different in how Tamiya approaches the engine pods, and they are slightly larger, as the engine faces are sized for the Monogram kit (Revell). But also the Laste set will update the kit as well. So thanks for keeping this stuff coming. A-10's are a cool to display, quite large and really no matter who is the vendor, each kit has it's own twists. And none really are an easy build. Kind a reminds you of the F-14, labor intensive, but once finished they can be quite impressive.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 1 month later...

Chuck, I see the group build has ended, but hope you will finish your Hog? Did you get the LASTE set yet? It includes wheel chocks. You mentioned using the engine fronts on the Tamiya A-10 kit. I have done so, but it does require modification to the Tamiya parts. This modification actually corrects the entire Engine Nacelle. From the box, the Tamiya LH and RH Nacelle are both too narrow in size. Plus the exhaust is at an odd angle. These issues can be corrected by adding plastic strip (2-3mm) to the outside seam or split where the lower meets the upper halves. Like a shim, the plastic spreads the two halves so the resin front not only fits, but corrects the diameter, and realigns the back where the exhaust protrudes. Better than selling off or tossing the Tamiya kit. It can be made into a nice early A-10.