1/200 Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 767-200ER

Thanks for allowing airliners in this group build and here is my contribution. At 1/200, this will probably be the smallest scale entry...

Using the Hasegawa 767-200 kit with Liveries Unlimited decals

IMG_0080_zps3d05e588.jpg

The decal sheet

IMG_0081_zps521bfb49.jpg

After a couple of evenings' work, the fuselage and wings have been glued, primed and the top half and tail sprayed with Tamiya matt white

IMG_0082_zpsf9eab407.jpg

Next will be masking the white section of the fuselage and spraying the silver/gray on the lower fuselage and wings.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

Progress this weekend...

Painted the light gray and natural metal sections of the lower fuselage, wings and tail. A lot of very delicate masking was required but I was quite pleased with the result.

Sprayed straight from Tamiya spray cans - AS-16 for the gray and AS-12 for the natural metal, then clearcoated with TS-13 clear.

I will be building this as ET-AIE, the first 767 delivered to Ethiopian Airlines.

IMG_0083_zpsb4c8e59e.jpg

IMG_0085_zps0480945e.jpg

IMG_0084_zpsc8b24852.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dennis

Thanks John! But as you will see now... things didn't go as smoothly after that...

I painted the tip of the nose black and applied the cockpit windows. Not easy trying to hand paint a small circle but looked OK in the end.

IMG_0088_zps83c1ee95.jpg

Then set about applying the tail decals... I have used many Liveries Unlimited sheets before and never had any issues but this time it was a different story. Dipped the decal into water and removed it as normal. As soon as the decal was slid onto the tail, it broke up into 15 - 20 pieces! Managed to rescue most of it but the red section at the bottom had to be touched up with paint and it's far from neat. I left it alone after that just in case it got worse. Then clearcoated with Klear.

This decal is long out of print so no chance of getting another copy. Very strange as it has been carefully stored with all my other decals...

IMG_0086_zps876c0fc5.jpg

I then took a deep breath... and applied the right side decal. Again it started to break up but not as far as the left one. Luckily no touch up paint was needed on this side and again I left it alone as soon as I can and clearcoated with Klear.

IMG_0087_zps9a8388b8.jpg

Not applied any more decals. Thinking about clearcoating the rest before applying them. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking

Dennis

Nice model. It looks like the same livery as the Ethiopian 767 that was ditched into the sea by captain Leul Abate after a hijack in 1996. It was not a very successful ditch but given the circumstances he saved a lot of lives that day.

Good luck with your build!

• 2 weeks later...

The left fuselage stripe, L1 door and lion logo are on. I brushed a thin layer of Klear onto the decals to hopefully stop them from breaking up. Helped a little bit but the fuselage stripe still cracked in a few places. Luckily there is plenty of spare stripe...

IMG_0089_zps5f2ae2e4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dennis

• 4 months later...

Finally got back to working on this...

The decals are all on. Had more problems with them breaking up in water, despite coating with Klear. The windows were literally applied one by one... and then there were the silver frames around them!

Wing corogard decals are from Scaleliners and these went on with no issues at all.

The landing gear is done and still have to paint and attach the engines, followed by a final coat of Klear. Hopefully will finish in time.

Thanks for looking

Dennis

IMG_0017_zps84f05079.jpg

IMG_0010_zps619118cd.jpg

IMG_0011_zps608ca267.jpg

IMG_0010_zps619118cd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...