revell 1/32 f-14a tomcat

ok so i have decided to build the f-14a tomcat i have and do it as the one from the movie top gun and i even have pilots to go with it. i know this kit is from 1986 so there isn't a lot of detail so i will be adding detail by any thing i can find so that means photo etch resin bits of wire and any thing else i can to make it it look real.

A buddy of mine uses a glow in the dark fishing luwer tape for all of his slime lights. It might not be exactly what you are looking for but if all else fails you might want to give that a shot.

ok so since i have till December to get this bird done. i am going to add the fallowing things to it.....

a resin 1/32 cockpit yes i know they are made for tamyia but i am sure i can find on that fits

photo etch for the inside and out side from eduard

resin wheels and fuel tanks from wolf pack just need to find out what style main wheels the top gun movie cats had

so for the landing gear i might combine metal and plastic because i want the front lit

and stuff like the main landing gear bays will have wire to make them look right or should i buy the resin ones made for the tamyia cat and use those?

all of the vents on the air plane will have them added so u can see though

and pilots will be added but can any body help me with how they would be painted around the 1986 time frame like oxygen mask flight suit and the like

and thank u every body for the help in this

The main gear will bear the most of the weight. I'd worry about resin--or even plastic--main landing gear on large-scale models. Assuming reasonable balance, the nose gear shouldn't take much load at all...

ok so the tomcat i am doing has the 2 hole gas gun vent door. but i cut out the grill area. so now i need to build that area so dose any body have a picture that shows that part really clearly so can see how many grill vent lines there are on that part?

ok so i am going to try the tape idea for the slime lights it seems to have the right color. and LEDs for the lights the only thing i am wondering about lighting the the white light on the left rudder

ok so i have figured out how to add the

Navigation lights

Anti-collision lights

Position lights. on the tom cat i will even try to make the engines light up but what in the cockpit be lit up and how will the HUD projection part be lit.if any tomcat pilots on on ARC can u help me with this idea?

ok so i have figured out how to add the

Navigation lights

Anti-collision lights

Position lights. on the tom cat i will even try to make the engines light up but what in the cockpit be lit up and how will the HUD projection part be lit.if any tomcat pilots on on ARC can u help me with this idea?

If you are going to be lighting up the cockpit and lighting up the front instrument panel, I would drill out the round recess out of the front instrument coaming which represent the HUD projection lense, and then in the hole place some clear plastic or accetate and paint it clear green or an opake smoke colour. Any light source fitted behind the front IP (preferably green) will illuminate the front windshield.

Here is what the HUD looks like on the F-14A which you are building:

F-14A Cockpit HUD

As you can see it is a basic setup of the projecting lense with all the information being displayed straight onto the windscreen. On other HUDs for the F-14, the information is displayed onto crystal lenses.

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

ok so i am going to make the HUD turn on. thanks Andrew for the help. and for every thing else i am going to make the engines light up using flickering orange and yellow LEDs and i will even have a sound chip in the jet so u can hear the engines start. and for the lights on the out side of the plane they will be on a separate system so i can turn them on when ever.

don't worried ill post more pictures soon i am working on the gas gun vent grill area. i am building that area. i hope to get the get don in time for decmeber. to day i spent most of my time figuring out how am i going to light this model and what lights it has and what it has to do