I know the Silver Eagles flew OH-6's, but according to the pic below, they also had OH-58's. did they fly them in demos or what was the purpose of them. Also, if they did flight demo using them, does anybody have any pics of the 58's in a demonstration? Just wondering!

Tim

AF77826C-1BFE-4596-ACA8-CB7C94B0EA5C-27427-00002579EBC7A3AC_zps96956287.jpg

The team formed in January 1972 with nine each of both the OH-6 and OH-58.

After a few months the Kiowas were quickly transferred to other units during the summer of '72, leaving the team with just the Cayuse.

HTH,

Andre

According to the book "Dancing Rotors" by Ned Gilliand, there are records showing that two shows during 1972 were flown with both OH-58A and OH-6A aircraft.The OH-58A's were displayed at other shows but did not perform any aerial demonstrations. They appear to have been recruiting tools.

Chris M

According to the book "Dancing Rotors" by Ned Gilliand, there are records showing that two shows during 1972 were flown with both OH-58A and OH-6A aircraft.The OH-58A's were displayed at other shows but did not perform any aerial demonstrations. They appear to have been recruiting tools.

Chris M

I can't prove this was a public demo, but it sure looks like they flew at least one demo with both. Pics are from the USAAM archives.

Ray

SilverEagles0029-1_zps914a5198.jpg

SilverEagles0028-1_zps665809e7.jpg

SilverEagles0027.jpg

Gilliand indicates in his book that the team members from that time had little recall of the OH-58's performing other than for certain they were at TRANSPO '72 located at Dulles Airport in Virginia. He does mention that locally, around Fort Rucker, the OH-58's were more active. Those photo's could be either circumstance. Maybe the backs of the photo's have more info?

Chris M

Gilliand indicates in his book that the team members from that time had little recall of the OH-58's performing other than for certain they were at TRANSPO '72 located at Dulles Airport in Virginia. He does mention that locally, around Fort Rucker, the OH-58's were more active. Those photo's could be either circumstance. Maybe the backs of the photo's have more info?

Chris M

Chris,

Unfortunately, those are slide scans and the slides don't have any info written on them. Looks like I have another reason to go down to Mother Rucker and do some research!

Ray

• 7 years later...

Yeah Ray, also you may need someone to go with you that flies -58s to make sure the research is correct.......and needs to go to the back hangars at the museum.  May need to make a flying day out of it.....  Weather has sucked lately, but, maybe we can plan something out.

I went there with Ray a few years ago and got the  VIP tour. I felt like a kid in a candy store!!!

I saw the door they kept off of Miss Clawd IV that was repainted to the Silver Eagle colors, but I was surprised they didn't have a full SE OH-6 in the museum.

I'd love to go back down there someday with Ray again. It was good meeting "Mr. Huey" in person and enjoyed his company while there. He's a great person and I'm glad I met him!!!

Tim

I heartedly recommend the book Dancing Rotors by the late Ned Gilliand. Modelers will find some of the clown paint schemes on H-13s and H-19s interesting.

When living in Texas I met and got to know Ned and spent some time with him. Once he took me to the Bell flight test center where he worked as a Bell test pilot for many years.

I received several Bell helicopter desk models from him as well as copies of Bell historic documents. I even received a rare (unused) copy of the Whirlybirds coloring book from the 1950s TV show.

A great guy who deserves to be remembered.