Gabon 1/72 Mirage F.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good work so far! I've always loved the Mirage F.1. I fell in love with the Hasegawa boxart many moons ago & bought the kit. It also helped that the Mirage F.1 was featured in that old movie "Airport '79". Saw it when I was a kid & that helped me decide to get the Hasegawa kit.

http://www.impdb.org/images/7/77/AP79_3_Fighter.jpg

http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Concorde_..._Airport_%2779

Despite it's age, the Hase kit still looks good. Be careful of the landing gear though. If I remember correctly, there are some fit problems with it.

Good luck with your build! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Great work, Vince!

A small detail that is overlooked is the size and shape of the intake cones.

On the SAAF version ( and of course later on the Gabonese ones ) they were much longer,

so much that they required a mobile tip to keep the door on the nearby panel clear.

You can check the picture here:

f1az_229_10.jpg

I started some SAAF F1's some years ago, but lost interest :(

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/4700-mirajuri-sud-africane/page__p__76613__hl__mirage__fromsearch__1#entry76613

• 1 month later...

Great work, Vince!

A small detail that is overlooked is the size and shape of the intake cones.

On the SAAF version ( and of course later on the Gabonese ones ) they were much longer,

so much that they required a mobile tip to keep the door on the nearby panel clear.

You can check the picture here:

f1az_229_10.jpg

I started some SAAF F1's some years ago, but lost interest :(/>

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/4700-mirajuri-sud-africane/page__p__76613__hl__mirage__fromsearch__1#entry76613

BAD EDD Please finish your SAAF Mirage builds :woot.gif:

Well, things have gone downhill pretty quickly :deadhorse1:/>

First of all I managed to break off the port wing - not a problem, just re-fixed and away we go.

Then one of the headrest ejection handles broke off - sigh, I'll just have to make another one...

But then the real disaster;

1374110_10151645704227050_196032334_n.jpg

1393510_10151645704222050_1137777227_n.jpg

Whilst painting I used Blue Tak to assist with masking, but when it all came off it seems like the Blue Tak has had a reaction to the paint - it's basically started to melt into the paint and is almost impossible to get off :angry:/> .I've no idea why this happened, I've used Blue Tak for masking for many years and never had a problem before. I honestly don't have the motivation or desire to strip back all of the paint and start again, so this one is going to get chalked up to experience, finished off quickly and hidden in the back of the display case...

Which does mean I should get cracking on my next kit!

Vince

Whooa sorry to see that happen, maybe a light sanding and re-paint will do the trick, maybe airbrush the base colours on and hand paint the green cammo...good luck!

It has raised panel lines, so sanding would probably damage those. A firm brushing with cotton balls/paper towels dipped in whatever paint thinner is appropriate would probably help. You don't need to remove it all, just knock down those ridges and melted places.

--

I've never seen poster tack do that before either. How soon did you put it on after laying down the paint?

I tried removing it with thinners but to no avail. It kind of worked, but in places it just smeared the Blue Tak and made more of a mess. I suspect there was a reaction to the amount of thinners in the green paint (it was all Humbrol colours). The Blue Tak was old - I'd used the same bits earlier on this build, and the one before - but I think after trying to remove it with thinners it's more likely that was the cause. The previous colours had fully dried before I applied the green - both the grey and brown had over two weeks to cure.

So I decided just to finish it off, take a few blurry out-of-focus pics and pretend the whole thing never happened. But... it appears that I have not made sufficient blood sacrifices to the Modelling Gods or the Carpet Monster.

First the port undercarriage leg broke, which would entail building a new axle to hold the wheels. This was almost the final straw, but then I dropped the canopy and ,whilst looking for it on the floor, I managed to tread on it, shattering it completely. This was the final straw.

So I've decided that some malevolent force does not want me to finish this kit off. It must be cursed! She's now sitting in the 'Hanger Queen' box, awaiting the day when I need to test something out.

Oh well, onto the next kit!

Vince

I have had some success removing paint with acetone and nail polish remover. If that doesn't work you can dip the entire model in household bleach. Maybe disassemble the cockpit or as bashace said, leave the nose sticking out.

• 2 months later...

Mask the cockpit really good and spray oven cleaner.

Put the model in a bag and wait some hours.

Then clean with a toothbrush.

Take care your clothes as the cleaner can harm them...

If some color resist,repeat.

Mask the cockpit really good and spray oven cleaner.

Put the model in a bag and wait some hours.

Then clean with a toothbrush.

Take care your clothes as the cleaner can harm them...

If some color resist,repeat.

If you use E-Z Off Oven Cleaner, make sure you get the stuff with lye in it; not the pretty smelling stuff. It really needs to be the nasty kind to work, and it will take a couple hours to really loosen the paint. Since the paint is fresh, it should come off pretty easily based on my experience. Scrubbing with the old tooth brush should help get down into the detail.