Kitbashing a 1:48 X-02 from Ace Combat

As a big fan of the Ace Combat series and scale modeling, I've always wanted to create one of the fictional planes from the series. I was delighted when Hasegawa released their Idolm@ster sets from the series, but was turned off by the massive amount of decal work required to make the kits shine.

Ever since the scratch built 1:72 X-02 and the 1:72 Shinden 2 that Hasegawa somewhat recently released, I have been hoping for some sort of 1:48 model.

Tired of waiting, I have decided that I am going to try to scratch build/kitbash a 1:48 X-02 of my own.

I'm mainly going to be working off of this picture as well as various screenshots from the game.

So far, I've only begun planning what parts I can nick off of other kits and use with minimal surgery.

As a base, I think I will probably use a Su-35 (or maybe a Mig) fuse as it's comparable in size and shape. I could probably also hack up the horizontal stabilizers to use as canards. The ruddervators look similar to those of the YF-23, but getting my hands on a 1:48 YF-23 wouldn't be worth the effort. Maybe a F-22 (or just some plasticard and sandpaper :P). If I bought a F-22 kit, I could probably also use the weapons bays as IIRC, the X-02 has those "stealth" style bays.

I'm not really sure what I would do for wings. I think the best bet would be to take high aspect ratio wings and then cut them down. Maybe something like U-2 wings.

The hardest parts of the build will probably be the engine intakes. Nothing that I've seen really nails the look that they have and their shapes will be hard to scratch make.

Nothing in this project is set in stone yet, and I'm not even sure it will get off the ground.

Any help in terms of tips and techniques as well as suggestions as to where to get pieces would be greatly appreciated!

Hobbyboss will be releasing a 1/48 YF-23 later if you don't mind waiting.

I like the AC series too so I'm interested in seeing what you can do with this project!

The Macross YF-19/VF-19 looks a little similar to the X-02 so it might also be a good starting point for a kitbash or at least to take some parts from it.

Below is a CFA-44 by a Japanese modeller, hopefully it'll inspire you.

http://sky.geocities.jp/rei8492/gallery/STRIGON4/STRIGON.html

• 2 months later...

I too have from time to time given thought to how to accomplish building an X-02. I came to the conclusion a kitbash would not be completely adequate to meet the challenge.

Using the upper fuselage, the engine nozzles, and landing gear components from any good quality Flanker kit would make a good base to begin. I'd also recommend that the canopy and the stabilators be harvested from an F-18E Super Hornet. The Super Hornet canopy seems to me a better match to the X-02 canopy and the stabilators would be appropriate to use as the Wyvern's canards. That said much of everything else; the nose section with the entire ventral fuselage (save for perhaps the main landing gear fixtures), wings, intake ducts, dorsal engine nacelle shrouds, and the tail boom, would all have to be scratch-made.

The idea to use YF-23 stabilizers might be doable. However these parts would have to be extensively modified to match the proportions in the drawing. If that is the case; you may be better off scratch making those too.

Edited by Fellow Hobbyist
  • 4 weeks later...

Good Idea!

I always wanted to do something like that.

Are you making Mobius 1's aircraft (the one with the blue tips on Ace Combat Zero).

Or are you making a standard Erusean one?

I need an Ace Combat fan to talk to.

You know how on Ace Combat Zero you can fight all the aces and Mobius 1 in the Guantlet mission? Well I have figured out the way to do those epic spinning maneuvers and pull those slick turns that only Mobius 1's computer only seems to know how to do.

@Ace Combat Zero: You're not the only one here. And unless you've hacked the game, I doubt it's possible you actually managed to pull those maneuvers Mobius 1 pulls, as the flight physics are explicitly programmed so that he's one of the only ones who can do that (kind of like Gelb can shoot missiles directly backwards). You can get close, but the game won't let you actually pull a Cobra or a Kulbit like Mobius 1 in ACZ or Yellow Squadron in AC04.

Edited by Sarathi S.
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ace Combat Zero: You're not the only one here. And unless you've hacked the game, I doubt it's possible you actually managed to pull those maneuvers Mobius 1 pulls, as the flight physics are explicitly programmed so that he's one of the only ones who can do that (kind of like Gelb can shoot missiles directly backwards). You can get close, but the game won't let you actually pull a Cobra or a Kulbit like Mobius 1 in ACZ or Yellow Squadron in AC04.

Yeah, I know, I tried to make that sound as nerdy as possible, but you can make 180 degree angle high g turns and do those fast spinning maneuvers.

Beating Mobius in 20 seconds:

Take a entire salvo of XMAA and drive them into his cockpit at 4000 feet range.

That's how you beat pretty much anybody in 20 seconds, to be honest...

EDIT: The edit function is your friend, rather than making 3 posts in a row.

EDIT 2: Any progress on this build before we get too far off topic?

Edited by Sarathi S.

That's how you beat pretty much anybody in 20 seconds, to be honest...

EDIT: The edit function is your friend, rather than making 3 posts in a row.

EDIT 2: Any progress on this build before we get too far off topic?

uhhh, that's that Oatmonster guy that started this topic; I cant give you any progress.

• 2 weeks later...