I had never decanted from spray cans before but thought I'd try as I got some Krylon fusion gloss to use as a base for Alclad. All the info on the interweb showed very messy ways to decant. So I had a quick think and a quick rummage and came up with this..

Use a cheap plastic pipette and a small tube connection (found on CRC/WD40 type cans for directing spray into smaller areas)

68AF119A-C3C4-4FAC-885B-DF63C38B2147-3238-000005BAD954966C.jpg

I cut the end off the pipette and also a small amount off the tip then jammed the small pipe into it, cut the small tube leaving 1/4" sticking out.

91A9C962-AF5C-4FF9-B05C-52FA708E3759-3233-000005BA0FB61DD7.jpg

Then simply press the small end onto the nozzle of the spray can. Fits nice and snug just like it does on a CRC/WD40 can, does not leak AND the widening of the pipette slows the spray as it comes out so you can spray directly from your spray can into your airbrush with no mess whatsoever :)/>/>

753DAF7E-A4E6-466C-8152-3FEC11E5C9E0-3233-000005B9FBA16748.jpg

C58838DD-9476-4223-A67D-88A1E61CDEBB-3233-000005BA07229198.jpg

Hope you find it useful :thumbsup:/>/>

Jim

Edited by jimmy07

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was just in the process of decanting some more Krylon and I was dreading it. With this method, things will be a heck of a lot easier and cleaner. :thumbsup:

Jim, What a great idea!!! You should work for the government. I have no doubt that you would save them (wait, save US THE TAXPAYERS) billions of $$$. I already have the required items set out as per your procedure. I'm gonna play devil's advocate for just a minute here. In fact, this is for someone with Triarius' knowledge of all things chemical. I'm just wondering if we need to be concerned about our airbrushes and associated equipment (hoses, regulators, moisture traps, etc.), since the paint hasn't been "de-gassed."

Jim, this is a great idea you have come up with, and believe me, I'm gonna use it. I already use the little red tube connection that comes with cans of WD40 when I decant paint. You just upped things quite a few notches by adding the use of the pipette. I hope you know that I'm not knocking your idea. It's brilliant! I was just wondering if the propellent in the paint would build up pressure in an airbrushing system. It's as simple as that. I look forward to more of your brilliant ideas. Thanks and good luck!!!

Edited by balls47

The few times I've ever attempted to decant paint, I used a short length of drinking straw over the spray outlet, and had very good results. Most spray cans, the spray nozzle has a round part to it that a drinking straw seems to fit over pretty well.

One option is to fit a straw over the opening, and then glue or epoxy it in place, and then reuse that same nozzle for other cans.

That's only way I do my decanting--although I cut the pipettes down a but differently, and they are consequently somewhat shorter than the ones in the photo. (I cut them at that point in the taper where the pipette will just fit over the regulator on the rattle can.)

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I've never heard of the de-gassing required? I sprayed mine directly into my airbrush (it is gravity fed) and sprayed right away with no hassles at all. I don't recall seeing bubbles either, though to be fair I wasn't expecting too see any and wouldn't have looked. This method can still be used to decant into containers to rest during the degassing stage. It's all new to me :)

Jim. :thumbsup:

I think gas is mainly a problem when storing decanted paint. If you decant into a glass jar, and then seal the jar, I can imagine the degassing process in the jar could cause pressure and thus a mess when opening the jar a few days later (these are the sort of problems I've read about before). Spraying the decanted paint immediately probably doesn't cause any problems, as it is exactly the same as spraying straight from the can. Your system for decanting is so simple and clean, there's no need to decant bigger volumes of paint and subsequently storing it. You can simply decant paint as you need it.