I figured with the NRGB over and being in a funk with three Phantoms in various stages of build I could build this one for now.

It's a Grumman X-29 by Hasegawa in 1/72 and I figured it could be a fun kit to build straight from the box and break the funk I'm in.

P1010001_zps9e73a5fb.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

Good to see the X-29. It's first flight was right after I started at Grumman in '84, so it left quite an impression. The aeroelastics are quite stunning...

It looks like a nice little kit with fine engraved lines in it. I hope the fit is ok on it as I don't see many of them getting built. If I get the courage and patience I might add some plumbing to the wheel wells as I found some nice photos on Flicker.

I took a bunch of photos last time I was in DC but just found out that that craft was really just a full size mock up and not one of the real two built for flight.

Edited by Spectre711

If I remember it correctly, the forward fuselage and nose gear were from an F-5, the main gear were from an F-16, and the engine is an F404 like those in the Hornet.

Yes, that's correct. Quite the little franken-plane. I assume they did this to focus on the wings and control system, the core R&D areas.

It looks like a nice little kit with fine engraved lines in it. I hope the fit is ok on it as I don't see many of them getting built. If I get the courage and patience I might add some plumbing to the wheel wells as I found some nice photos on Flicker.

I took a bunch of photos last time I was in DC but just found out that that craft was really just a full size mock up and not one of the real two built for flight.

AFAIK, this and the Dragon 1/144 are the only available kits. I'd love to have one in 1:48, but as Dragon are doing various of this class of A/C in 1/144, that's OK.

According to Wikipedia, the two actual A/C are at Wright-Pat and Dryden.

• 2 months later...

This is a nice little kit that pretty much falls together. It has little to no flash and the fit is good with the exception of the nose cone. I wish they molded the kit in another color as I found the white plastic made it difficult to see any imperfections or mis matches of panels that might happen. I'm just about ready for some white paint.

P9280002_zps7aeb6e50.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks great! I've got a few of those kits myself and they build up really nice. I remember that the decals were a real bear on the first one I did, yours look really good.

The second one that I built I did up as a what-if aggressor scheme in the three tone browns. Linky

• 2 weeks later...