Hi All

The Corsair has been my favourite plane since watching Baa Baa Blacksheep but I have not build on since I got back to modelling. Here is my entry to this Group build. I will be doing the Hasegawa F4U-5N Corsair with it I will be using the Wolfpack cockpit and Eagle strike Corsairs over Korea Part 2

Here is what I am starting with.

A1_zps63f4e01c.jpg

So suprise suprise I am starting with cockpit. I figured I wanted to try something a little different, I was fortunate to sit on a workshop by Michael Rinaldi of TankArt fame where he went through how he made use of hairspray in his armour build. The truth is I only dabble in armour but I wanted to see how this would work if I applied to a cockpit. Now I do not know what the reality is but in my mind I just have to believe that a corsair cockpit has to be beat up.

So step one remove the stubs and clean the resin

b1_zpsa639061c.jpg

Next we prime and get it a coat of Citadel Gun Bolt Metal, this was then follow be a couple coats of hairspray

b2_zpseccc273b.jpg

Next the base cockpit colour, I went with Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green, it is probably too light but I figure with some washes it should darken up.

b3_zpsce29005d.jpg

Once this dried I used some warm water and various brushes to distress the paint and create some chips. Once I had something I was reasonably happy with the details were painted

b4_zpsf607544c.jpg

The Cockpit was sealed up. I got most of the kit put together, the fit was pretty good I did need some putty but I think most of the problems were my own doing

c1_zps0f0f1582.jpg

Rob

Image limit

I am planning to dress up the engine as well with some lead wire. So out comes my drill and lead wire

c4_zps09ec6c92.jpg

I drilled a whole lot of holes

c3_zpsb5a4577f.jpg

And then I gave it a coat of steel paint followed by a wash

c2_zpsaab145ca.jpg

I then spent some time spent threading wiring through my drilled holes

d1_zpscf1d6585.jpg

Next was to paint up the other bits

d2_zpsa9f392fa.jpg

Finally put it all together and weather

d6_zps6c5c7e49.jpg

With the engine don I went on to some of the annoying bits, I needed to take care of some injection marks on the gear doors

d4_zps3c435f4d.jpg

Finish building and check my seams

d3_zpsdc608f42.jpg

And then prime

d5_zps0daa4460.jpg

I will be back with some paint

Rob

Ok here is a quick update. I have been experimenting with a few techniques in my finish and here I am now. As I have been look at pic of Korean Corsairs the one thing is that they are pretty monochromatic, pretty much a solid colour. There was chipping but not as bad as WW2 Corsairs so here is my best attempt so far.

Let me know what you think

e1_zps8840e803.jpg

e2_zps354cbc49.jpg

Rob

• 2 weeks later...