Submarine decals?

I recently started building 1/350 submarine kits, and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Based on what I am seeing it's a pretty popular scale modeling genre, but I am somewhat surprised by the lack of aftermarket decals. Some of you may know that I operate a scale model decal company (Caracal Models); and I am curious to hear your opinions about a new, different brand that would specialize in submarine decals. I have already started drawing up some for the kits that I am working on. If you think it's a good idea, suggestions/opinions about subjects would be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what you have in mind for decals, but three things come to mind.

One would be weathering, missing tiles, etc.

Two many Russian subs have white markings around the torpedo tubes and at the waterline.

Three would be special camouflage like some of the British subs have worn.

Ed Kinsel

For the most part the only things that are permanent on US subs are the forward and aft draft markings (and draft marks for any special projections) and NO PUSH arrows for Virginia and maybe Seawolf boats. All the markers around hatches and stuff are only applied for special tests, not on operational runs. Most markings come off over time too, so unless someone wants a straight from the shipyard looking boat, there is not much need for anything besides the draft marks (and escape chamber marks on Russian types).

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Definitely agree with PARCHE, draft markings are seriously lacking. You could get into Hull numbers for the Sail and Ship names for some out there who want that option. I would

recommend printing a sheet that is similar to Mike Grants or Airscale A/C instruments, they give the Modeler out options. Markings varied from ship class into how many, locations,

lengths. Having many options would be the key on one sheet. Hope that helps.

John B.

Edited by JCB
  • 4 months later...

Absolutely!! I am building several Russian submarines in 1/350 scale, mostly from Hobby Boss, and I'd love to see decals of the squadron emblems that are prominately displayed on the sails of these subs. Great thread Kurasad, and thanks for starting it.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Ed,

As for the white markings around the torp tube doors/openings, what I do for that is I use a white pencil crayon and I outline the door with it. I usually do this after I matt coat the model. Looks great once finished. I did it with my Victor III.

Cheers

Brad

Edited by Brad-M