A how-to question please

Hi there,

I am about to start painting my SAAB Tunnan and this thing looks like a quilt of metallic paints. With normal camo I know to spray the lighter shades first and then go darker. How is it with Alclad. I use Humbrol Gloss Black as a base but after that, do I start with the shinier metallics (Chrome) first or should I start with the duller aluminum shades and then do the shinier ones?

Second, can anyone using the Aztek airbrush tell me which color nozzle is best for Alclad?

Thanks for any help.

Pierre

In 1/72nd: Heller / Airfix, Matchbox /Revell, IPMS Austria and the recent Tarangus.

HTH,

Andre

I think Tarangus may have just gained a customer.

Of course, when I visited the Swedish Air Force Museum last April, all they had was Heller and Airfix. I've stated my low opinion of those kits many times. I had an old Airfix (I think) Tunnan that was such a dog I never finished it. I do sort of miss the old Matchbox kits. When the molds were new they were simple, easy, fun.

Thanks!

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread.:blush:/>

For the hi-reflective Alclad shades (chrome, polished alum, airframe alum, etc) it's recommended you use gloss black underneath for best shiney results. All other Alclad shades you can use just about any glossy paint color. This does not mean you cant spray the regular shades over GB cause you certainly can. Keep in mind the hi-shine shades don't like to be masked over so I'd save those for last. Many effects can be made by using different combinations of base colors. It really boils down to what you're looking for as an end result.

dragonfly pretty much nailed it on the head.

You can also shade your Alclad by adding a drop of the appropriate color enamel paint into then (into your airbrush cup), saving a bit of $ on different colors.

Masking shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I would recommend using only Tamiya (type) tapes, and only tape around the perimeter of the area needed, then cover with tissue taped to your perimeter tapeing.

Curt

Aha... thanks guys that helps, So it will be the shinier metal for last. The tan tip it is :D .

Triarius, I can only speak for 1/48 scale and I am using the much maligned AZ-Models kit. I am doing the Austrian version and have bought the Maestro Models accessories which are badly needed. They consist of a new resin nose, corrected metal landing gear and PE cockpit. the kit cockpit is not bad but sits behind the intake whereas it should sit on top of the intake tunnel. The MM cockpit corrects this and looks fantastic. With the new nose and canopy the kit also looks the part. the metal landing gear gives it the correct sit. All in all I am enjoying it and it does need a lot of patience and TLC. I think it could have been much better but was rushed into production a bit. Your other option is the rather expensive Neomega resin kit.

Regards

Pierre