As of yesterday, anytime I try to view youtube videos on my I-pad I get a message saying "sorry, this video is not available on this device". What the heck? Why does this happen? I'm savvy enough to know that it's not because of changes in my device.

Aaron

Edited by jester292

Unfortunately, it seems to be par for the course with mobile devices. Youtube and Netflix work fine on my Kindle Fire, but I can't watch anything requiring Flash Player..since the thing is made by Amazon, they want you to use their proprietary pay service to watch videos. I've read that there are some work-arounds, but they require far more Jedi computers skills than I have, and you still risk "bricking" the device, and will definitely void the warranty.

SN

In fact, most of the time not being able to view YouTube videos on a mobile device is due to monetisation or copyright reasons. If you have copyrighted music on the video, even playing in the background, it will be detected and the video will be viewable on desktop devices only. Something to do with being more difficult to push advertising through mobile, so they just block it. It's not a function of flash compatibility, it's purely a copyright /advertising issue. Thanks BMG Time Warner! I hope your collective privates rot off.

I get some videos ..sometimes I don't get others..

Tells ME something about being in the WRONG country :wierdo:/>

Google country restrictions, there are usually simple ways of editing the video's URL to be able to view it. Germany is one place where there are a lot of restrictions. Again, big companies like Time Warner demanded Youtube bow to their copyright restrictions, so they regionally encoded video URL's to limit viewability in some places, whilst making it easy for anyone to get round it with a quick online search!

If you have copyrighted music on the video, even playing in the background, it will be detected and the video will be viewable on desktop devices only.

That explains why sometimes I'll try to watch a Youtube video on my tablet and it'll say "this isn't playable on a mobile device, add it to your playlist and watch it on a desktop."

I like my tablet for surfing when on the go, but I'll stick with my desktop for home use thank you..fortunately I got my newest one a couple of years ago when they still offered Win7. I won't touch 8 with a ten-foot pole.

SN