Mig-21 PFM 1/48 from EDUARD

Very interesting USSR camouflage option. Anyone have any info on it?

Most assuredly a trainer (given the 3 digit bort). There were lots of oddball camo schemes on trainer MiG-21s used at the various higher aviation academies.

Yeah, it's a conversion trainer. Really dislike that they keep including these "three digit" Soviet MiG-21s in their kits. For those of us that want to do operational/front line Soviet MiG-21s, we're forced to scrounge elsewhere to find decals - and the choices for Russian/Soviet stuff of that era is VERY tough to find.

Other that that minor complaint, this looks great. I'll be getting 2-3 for certain!

Edited by RedStar

Yeah, it's a conversion trainer. Really dislike that they keep including these "three digit" Soviet MiG-21s in their kits. For those of us that want to do operational/front line Soviet MiG-21s, we're forced to scrounge elsewhere to find decals - and the choices for Russian/Soviet stuff of that era is VERY tough to find.

Personally I love the red chevron on the nose. Operational Soviet PFMs where NMF AFAIK so not particularly original.

I find the Czech scheme funny. Yellow band = retired aircraft. It was chosen for making a derilict aircraft diorama perhaps ?

No PFM for me: enough of two-parts canopied Fisheds. I'm waiting for the PF.

Agree, the the scheme is cool, and will look good as a model, but I'm kinda funny about liking operational aircraft. Indeed MOST Soviet front line PF/PFM were NMF, but including an extra bort number on the decal wouldn't have been a big deal. And beyond that, I can find more than a few photos of camouflaged two-digit bort number aircraft. They're all later-day, but at least they're more front line than their equivalent of a conversion trainer...

Yes, it's a minor, minor nitpick. The kit will be great.... Hopefully SOMEBODY will do aftermarket decals to offer some alternate numbers....

PF won't be too far off.... Although it sounds like they're planning on doing a R and/or RF in the interim...

And beyond that, I can find more than a few photos of camouflaged two-digit bort number aircraft. They're all later-day, but at least they're more front line than their equivalent of a conversion trainer...

Do you have examples please ?

Hopefully SOMEBODY will do aftermarket decals to offer some alternate numbers....

I'm sure it will happen.

Do you have examples please ?

I don't have time for scans, etc. So a couple of quickies from common references:

MiG-21PFM "Blue 79" - Fighter Bomber - Photo P.78 of SSP MiG-21 Walkaround Pt.1

MIG-21PFM "Blue 42" - VMF (Naval) Service - photos published in almost EVERY MiG-21 publication there is

I'm sure that I've collected more, just have to dig further.

As for the decals, that was kind of a loaded statement :whistle:

Perhaps you'll be able to find photos here: http://vaul.ru/mig21.htm

Great pics, thanks for posting them. I know some folks prefer front-line aircraft instead of ones assigned to secondary duties but I really like some of these paint schemes. Much more interesting than the standard front-line scheme of overall natural metal with a two digit bort number. Most of the MiG's shown have some pretty heavy weathering, to add to the overall "coolness".

So are all the MiG's shown in the above URL trainers? Not sure why the Soviets would go to the trouble of painting training aircraft in camo schemes. I was hoping that some of these aircraft might be assigned to aggressor duties, which would indeed make for a pretty unique build.

No, they are certainly not all trainers. The VNAF bird is a Vietnam War combat aircraft. The Egyptian aircraft is likely front-line as well. The Polish, given the date, was likely second-line, but still interesting.

My complaint, and as I noted it was VERY minor, was ONLY on the selection of the Russian aircraft. Similar to what they chose for their MiG-21MF kit, they picked a second-line trainer. And frankly, it may be something that's only meaningful to folks like me that like to model Soviet aircraft - in Soviet markings. There are plenty of other possibilities for this one that are front-line and even combat types (India comes to mind beyond what's already included). I've just discovered that in the modern decal market place (it goes beyond the kits) that there are almost NO markings for front-line Soviet aircraft.

A seriously minor sidelight in what will be an otherwise OUTSTANDING model kit!

Can't wait!

Edited by RedStar

So are all the MiG's shown in the above URL trainers? Not sure why the Soviets would go to the trouble of painting training aircraft in camo schemes. I was hoping that some of these aircraft might be assigned to aggressor duties, which would indeed make for a pretty unique build.

The aircraft on that Russian page are all trainers, they are from the Barnaul training pilot school and the photos were taken at two locations around the early 1980's. One of the photographers has graduated from the school in 1988. There are some natural metal aircraft there too. Also of note that there is a great mix of aircraft types. There are some true early MiG-21PF (one piece canopy, SK ejection seat, small fin, airbrake on the underside . . .) a lot of MiG-21PFM (side hinged canopy, KM-1 ejection seat, wide tail, airbrake at the base of the fin . . .) and many interim ones with a mix of these features. So you can have fun cross kitting the PFM kit with the possible future PF kit! :D

Best regards

Gabor

The Polish, given the date, was likely second-line, but still interesting.

Well, The Polish one is from the last years of her service, but you can find a really nice photo of her with GP-9 and Monsun rails, see this:

http://galeria.aviateam.pl/photo/9988

Note: the aircraft has a grey fin, not silver as on Eduards profile

Edited by Andzin

I guess that the old PFMs (an interceptor by design not a tactical fighter so no need for a camouflage) used at Barnaul have been camouflaged for tactical training so for aggressor duties in a way. Front line aircrafts were SM or bis in those days probably.

There are some true early MiG-21PF (one piece canopy, SK ejection seat, small fin, airbrake on the underside . . .) a lot of MiG-21PFM (side hinged canopy, KM-1 ejection seat, wide tail, airbrake at the base of the fin . . .) and many interim ones with a mix of these features. So you can have fun cross kitting the PFM kit with the possible future PF kit! :D/>

Szia Gabor

The mixed features planes are MiG-21PFS, the first MiG-21 version with SPS system. It's something between PF and PFM, but the same Izdeliye number as PFM.

They were produced in three variant, on this picture is the first variant: http://vaul.ru/samol/MiG-21/0905.jpg

The second variant was visually almost identical to Indian FL and the third variant is visually almost identical to PFM.