C-130H Hercules - 40th AS, Dyess AFB, Texas

Really looking good with the props added.

I can only view the aircraft from the pictures you post and that is what I see on my screen. So my point of view is only from that rather then seeing it in person, were changing ones viewing angle & distance, changes the direction & intensity of the light, resulting in more visible highlights & shadows. You mentioned that after a light sanding of the panel lines that they helped to break up the rather large expanse of the wings. I'm just having a hard time seeing that. Do you have any other pictures that better shows that effect?

Thanks,

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Really looking good with the props added.

I can only view the aircraft from the pictures you post and that is what I see on my screen. So my point of view is only from that rather then seeing it in person, were changing ones viewing angle & distance, changes the direction & intensity of the light, resulting in more visible highlights & shadows. You mentioned that after a light sanding of the panel lines that they helped to break up the rather large expanse of the wings. I'm just having a hard time seeing that. Do you have any other pictures that better shows that effect?

Thanks,

Joel

Let me see if I can take some clearer pics to better show the panel lines.

What do you guys think about these bases? My former Air Force Flight Chief is a master woodworker and I tossed an idea to him for USAF Command Shield bases.

Here are a couple of prototypes:

Purple Heart

IMG_2447_zps3e603569.jpg

Wavy Maple

IMG_2446_zps21fe0526.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

The stenciling should keep you rather busy for some time.

Joel

I must admit; Sometimes I wonder if the fact that I love decals and markings is what motivates me to finish builds huh.gif .

This C-130 decal sheets is a perfect example. I'm the type that will put every-single-decal on.

Decals to me=realism.

Can't wait to see the decal progress 271.gif !

What do you guys think about these bases? My old Air Force Flight Chief is a master woodworker and I tossed an idea to him for USAF Command Shield bases.

Here are a couple of prototypes:

Purple Heart

IMG_2447_zps3e603569.jpg

I love the contrasting colors on this combo clap2.gif .

I'm building the 1/48 scale Academy F4B, and there is a complete sheet of stencils. There is also two page decal placement guide, and on the back of it, is the full stenciling guide. Never saw so many decals. Going to be real interesting, that for sure. Up until now, all I've ever built was WW ll USA aircraft. Not a lot of decals, and hardly any stencils.

Joel

I'm building the 1/48 scale Academy F4B, and there is a complete sheet of stencils. There is also two page decal placement guide, and on the back of it, is the full stenciling guide. Never saw so many decals. Going to be real interesting, that for sure. Up until now, all I've ever built was WW ll USA aircraft. Not a lot of decals, and hardly any stencils.

Joel

Funny you should mention an F-4.

When Revell first released their 1/32nd scale F-4E in '76-'77, it had a semi-comprehensive decal sheet (For the times).

THAT is where I got the mentality that tons of decals equal realism.

Interesting; Maybe I'm still carrying that mindset of when I was 12 years old because it is as alive today as it was back then.

Funny you should mention an F-4.

When Revell first released their 1/32nd scale F-4E in '76-'77, it had a semi-comprehensive decal sheet (For the times).

THAT is where I got the mentality that tons of decals equal realism.

Interesting; Maybe I'm still carrying that mindset of when I was 12 years old because it is as alive today as it was back then.

I think that the larger the scale & aircraft, the more realistic all that stenciling looks because it's readable and in scale. The opposite is also true, that the smaller the aircraft, the less stenciling is needed as it is often out of scale, and just not readable even when magnified.

Joel

Nice looking Herky Bird. Interesting thing is my dad was in the 463th OMS 79 to 84 when the Herks where camo with dirty white bellies. And one of the crew chiefs at my work is a former 463th FMS guy.

David (former Dyess brat)

Nice looking Herky Bird. Interesting thing is my dad was in the 463th OMS 79 to 84 when the Herks where camo with dirty white bellies. And one of the crew chiefs at my work is a former 463th FMS guy.

David (former Dyess brat)

When I got to Dyess in 1991, it was still the 463d and all the aircraft were still painted Euro 1. When the wing stood down, we were tasked with cleaning out the old headquarters building. I found this awesome large 463d TAW command shield sticker. To this day, I still have plans to build a Euro 1 Herk and use that sticker on the base.

Edited by SteveV22FE

Wow. I soooo want to steal your mounting idea shamelessly for my C-17.Will you mind If I do? How did you make the name label on the base?

Well, technically, I can't take credit for it either. I used Pete "Pig" Fleischmann's method for displaying aircraft. Check out his 1/32 Tamiya F-16C build here in the forum. The only drawback to using this on a cargo aircraft is unless you have cargo/pallets to hide the support, you're going to have to close up the back end.

I went to a local trophy shop and had the name plate made. It's an engraved piece of plastic that has a peel and stick backing on it. It was about $10.00 to have made, but totally worth it.

Edited by SteveV22FE

<p>

Steve, </p><p>  Bottom is decaled, and no pictures. </p><p>Joel</p><p><br>

</p>

There's so few stencil data on the bottom and small in size, I didn't think they would even show up in a photo. I'll give it a try.

Custom Decal work.

I have the best luck using the VitaCal system for making custom decals.

The decals were created by downloading the shield and patch from the Dyess AFB website.

The nose art "Damien" was provided by the 317th AG Historian. My brother, of Air Wing Graphics fame, subdued the color artwork.

I cleaned up the nose art in GIMP. All were resized to their correct sizes and printed on decal paper and sealed.

IMG_2451_zpsc5b401f8.jpg

IMG_2453_zpsb8724ba1.jpg

IMG_2452_zpsb00f5adc.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE