C-130H Hercules - 40th AS, Dyess AFB, Texas

• 10 months later...

Thats great work Steve. I flew Hs in the 40th from 02-05. I have been working on my 1/72 Italeri kit since 2002. Its STILL not done but will get there. I have the decals made but still need to make the external H AC packs that the Italeri kit lacks.

I am gonna model mine extremely dirty, as the Herks tend to get in OEF OIF.

I am unsure when the tail flash changed but here's a few shots of mine at the time.

Rem

e028879d-c55f-410b-b82c-1dd04d8dc57e_zpsloxhfc2f.jpg

Bagram at night

DyessHBagram3701_o_zpsydeibi4k.jpg

Dirt at Dyess

dyessHf3_8206220_o_zpslhrxmald.jpg

Thats great work Steve. I flew Hs in the 40th from 02-05. I have been working on my 1/72 Italeri kit since 2002. Its STILL not done but will get there. I have the decals made but still need to make the external H AC packs that the Italeri kit lacks.

I am gonna model mine extremely dirty, as the Herks tend to get in OEF OIF.

I am unsure when the tail flash changed but here's a few shots of mine at the time.

Rem

I think the tail flashed change when the Herks were transferred back to AMC...some time in 1996 or 1997.

The decal sheet looks great. I'm working on a nose art sheet. If your interested in it, I can send you what I have so far...PM me.

Here are a few first pass pics...this is when I realized that I forgot to paint the APR-39 receivers on the nose. It's since been corrected. hehe

Similar pics will be used for an upcoming article in the IPMS Journal.

IMG_2672_zps5820bba1.jpg

IMG_2669_zpsc1356814.jpg

IMG_2662_zpsfcbb5ef4.jpg

ahhh the Damien, I see the buno now. I am thinking of the same setup but for years have been using ROUND metal rods, and as such the models never stay put. The square rod idea NEVER entered my thick head! You painted the base blue and just glued or taped the patch down?

The most Ive done is take the die cast postage stamp model power Dyess 39th 130s and decal over the tail flash making it blue for retiring coworkers.

One day I will finish this 130!

IMG_2729_zpsn8ya7jqn.jpg

.Edit, I seem to have damaged and lost my top HF antenna masts. Anybody with a partial kit out there?

Edited by Remy130

ahhh the Damien, I see the buno now. I am thinking of the same setup but for years have been using ROUND metal rods, and as such the models never stay put. The square rod idea NEVER entered my thick head! You painted the base blue and just glued or taped the patch down?

Edit, I seem to have damaged and lost my top HF antenna masts. Anybody with a partial kit out there?

Yep, The base is just one of those $2.99 pine bases you can pick up at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I stained it with whatever color I grabbed out of the garage cabinet. The blue is just Krylon Blue. Once dry, I sprayed the entire base with DEFT High Gloss varnish. The patch was glued down with fabric glue. I put a weight on top of it while it dried to make sure it was flat against the base..

As far as parts go, I have plenty. I sent you a PM.