C-130H Hercules - 40th AS, Dyess AFB, Texas

Trojan and Nimrod,

Remember, if you going to build a C-130H (Super E) or a C-130H1 you can leave the fuselage windows as is. If the C-130 your planning to model is an H2/H2.5 or H3, you will have to change the windows on the forward fuselage. Check your references. It is noticeable on those Herks. The later birds have the escape hatch relocated and also have the square paratroop door windows.

Here's one of our last H's. Not sure what sub model it is....

C-130-A97-008-B20_LES-BUSHELL.jpg

Img credit Les Bushell.

It's either an H1 or an early H2. Without knowing the exact contract number, it's hard to tell. But it's definately one of those two. Later H2s didn't have the HF long wire antennas as this one does. Later H2s had the RoseMount Pitot System and the large escape hatches.

Basically, all that to say that you can build this Herk without modifying the fuselage and paratroop door windows. Find an update set for the sponsons and the -15 engines and you should be in business.

I am working on a C-130H variant description for my clubs next newsletter. When I finish it, I will post a link in the thread and you can download it.

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 5 months later...

I ended up scratch building the SATCOM antenna. It was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Here's the latest and greatest progress shot...Primed and Antenna'd. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to paint this model AMC Gray. I remember when these aircraft were first painted gray, they seemed to be a lighter gray than what present day AMC Gray is. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. Anyone out there have any thoughts.

IMG_2412_zps5718b1a1.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

Steve,

Impressive to say the least. Your attention to detail is well thought out, and it's execution is top notch. I noticed that you only pre-shaded the flying surfaces rather then all the recessed panel lines. I really like that approach, as pre-shading often ends up looking like a checker board if it's over done, and too much of the pre-shading shows through the finish coat.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Steve,

Impressive to say the least. Your attention to detail is well thought out, and it's execution is top notch. I noticed that you only pre-shaded the flying surfaces rather then all the recessed panel lines. I really like that approach, as pre-shading often ends up looking like a checker board if it's over done, and too much of the pre-shading shows through the finish coat.

Joel

Thanks for the compliment!!!

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I think the pre/post shading panel lines stuff is overrated. During my entire aviation career, which began in 1990, I have never seen an aircraft that looks like some of these models look. I understand the "artistic" side of it, but aircraft don't look that.

Yes, I know there are some aircraft, especially those deployed, where oil and dirt get into the panel recesses. For example, when I worked V-22s, there are no panels to speak of. There a just a few panels on top of the wings, which are sealed with Pro-seal and just a few access panels on the side of the fuselage, which are also sealed with Pro-seal. The only time you'll see a panel line on a V-22 is if they didn't touch up the paint after they sealed the panel.

I'm kinda torn on panel shading.

Edited by SteveV22FE

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I think the pre/post shading panel lines stuff is overrated. During my entire aviation career, which began in 1990, I have never seen an aircraft that looks like some of these models look. I understand the "artistic" side of it, but aircraft don't look that.

Yes, I know there are some aircraft, especially those deployed, where oil and dirt get into the panel recesses. For example, when I worked V-22s, there are no panels to speak of. There a just a few panels on top of the wings, which are sealed with Pro-seal and just a few access panels on the side of the fuselage, which are also sealed with Pro-seal. The only time you'll see a panel line on a V-22 is if they didn't touch up the paint after they sealed the panel.

Steve,

I couldn't agree with your assessment more. Pre-shading has in a sense grown out of it's originally intended purpose, to be a nearly mandatory weathering step. While it adds interest to, and breaks of a large area of a model aircraft, the comparison to real life is usually far removed. I've often pointed out that viewing an aircraft, or even a car from 48 ft. away (comparison to 1/48 scale), one will rarely even see a panel line unless the sunlight is being reflected off the edges of those panels, which doesn't happen all that often. This is the main reason that I've stopped using black or a dark gray for pin washes for panel lines, and moved to a shade or two darker then the base color. The only exception if my recently completed P-61A-5, which is weather beaten black. Even now I wish I had done those panel lines much darker.

Joel

I think I totally depends on the airframe being modeled. The F-111G's I worked on had very distinct fading in the centre of the major panels that looked just like pre-shading. It's true that you must, as always, check your references and decide the right weathering for your subject. Using pre-shading to break up monotone colour schemes is a very effective use of the technique. It doesn't have to be shading around panels, it can be used to show ribs, discolouration from wear or other sources such as oxidisation of the paint. My 2c anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your Hercybird n paint :-)

Paint's on!

I started by paint the external fuel tanks AMC Gray. When I compared AMC Gray to the Testors Gray Primer it was the EXACT same color. I am 99.9% certain now that AMC Gray is too dark. So once that dried, I sanded the tanks with 2000 grit and reshot the tanks Model Master Neutral Gray FS36270. That is spot on to the color I remember these Herks being painted.

Here's the overall aircraft in Neutral Gray.

Paint1_zpsd0764959.jpg

paint2_zpsdf8016e0.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE