C-130H Hercules - 40th AS, Dyess AFB, Texas

Steve,

Your custom decals look just as good as the commercial ones. Well done. Do you print them on a Ink Jet printer or a Laser Jet printer?

Joel

They were printed on an Epson WF-3540 Ink Jet printer. It's important that you start with an image large enough to be resized without losing any detail.

Edited by SteveV22FE

Steve,

There are a few decals I will be needing to make for a PBY Catalina. At least now I have a basic idea. Didn't think you could do it with a ink jet printer. Now I know better.

Joel

Steve,

Just an awesome job of decaling. I'm really impressed with the dead on straightness of the topside black lines. I've always struggled getting them to just look straight, yet you made it look easy.

Joel

Getting those walkway stripes straight was frustrating to the point of insanity. I think the next time I build one of these, I will first paint black in the walkway stripe area then mask it and paint the rest of the aircraft.

Looks great Steve, what are you doing about he cheek windows, they seem to be missing at this stage?

:thumbsup:/>

Yes, you're correct, they're not there. If you also notice, the forward windows are covered too. I will peel the forward windows out (They're Krystal Klear). All 6 windows will then be Krystal Kleared into place.

Steve,

Over the years I've used Krystal Kleer quite a bit. It does work well with small window openings, but as the openings get larger, or in the case of the cheek windows, longer, KK has a tendency to buckle with each application. Hopefully it will fill in those window openings enough so that a heavy layer of Pledge will level it off, and add some shine to them.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks for all the compliments guys!! This one has been a real labor of love.

I'm just waiting on another set of Warbird Decals...Texas ANG do I can get good National Insignias and USAFs.

The Authentic Decals set I purchased with multiple C-130 markings are junk. I don't recommend them. While thin decals are great...those are too thin. They are is no room for error with that sheet. The Warbird decal sheets are great, resiliant and you are able to work with them as far as positioning.

Steve,

With all that you've accomplished, why would such a easy painting task cause you any concern. And as you said, it was a piece of cake. Perfect.

Joel

For some reason, gloss paint and I don't have a very good relationship. :crying2:

This time it worked out. I don't know what I did different than any other time, but this time it worked flawless.

Edited by SteveV22FE

For some reason, gloss paint and I don't have a very good relationship. :crying2:/>

This time it worked out. I don't know what I did different than any other time, but this time it worked flawless.

Steve,

Personally, I would have applied the blue strip before I glossed with flat paint. The few times I've needed glossy paint: White and Sea Blue, I applied it over a prepared surface of Tamiya Gray primer.

Joel

Steve,

She came out looking great !! Would like to see the other stuff in the display case as well.

Steve

Steve,

I'll 2nd that request. You have some very interesting experimental aircraft in there.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...