VF-84 patch questions

Hello Guys,

I got this patch (11x10cm) recently and it seems printed, different from the rest which is normally embroided.

Besides it is a reproduction (what else) the question I have:

- Where is it from, japan?

- What period would this be, 1980?

Fighting84printpatch_zpsd6aad725.jpg

>> This is the sticker/decal which is used on the Briefing door of Sqn VF-84, seen in the FCD movie scene when Richard Owens enters in. Its 50x50 cm. The S&B looks similar to the printed patch.

Sqn_VF-84_zpsae127f70.jpg

>> This embroided patch is the original one and was worn by The F-14 jocks (picture below). Unfortunately someone had beat me before buying it a day sooner for a lousy $100 USD from lee 's Jackson military patch website.

VF-84_op_zps61fa8f4e.jpg

If someone can tell me a few extra details, please do.

Thanks.

Duncan

Edited by cag_200

Phantom, could be..yes.

I only seen one like this on a website I visited years ago:

My link

I have never seen it somewhere else, except from the person I bought it from, this was 2.5 months ago.

Edited by cag_200

>> This embroided patch is the original one and was worn by The F-14 jocks (picture below). Unfortunately someone had beat me before buying it a day sooner for a lousy $100 USD from lee 's Jackson military patch website.

VF-84_op_zps61fa8f4e.jpg

If someone can tell me a few extra details, please do.

Thanks.

Duncan

Wow. $100? I have one just like it, purchased by my own little self right out of VF-84's ready room while we were on cruise in 1983. Mine is brand spanking new, so it was never worn by a squadron flight crew. I also have "never worn" patches from many other squadrons in our air wing. I don't know if I have them all. I might. I would have to look.

Edited by DutyCat

Well, VF-84 is long gone. VF-103 assumed the heraldry, so the patch reflects a squadron that is long gone.

Squadron patches are usually purchased locally, and I strongly suspect the one you have has been generated by some web store that sells enough of them to warrant the cost of silk screening the emblem. I would say it is a "reproduction/duplicate" not an original patch.

The "printed" patch looks like a promotional item that would have been included in a "The Final Countdown" F-14 model kit boxing from the early 80s like you suspect ... My guess is, it's a marketing item and not produced by the military in any way ...

-Gregg

Thank you for sharing.

Throughout the 10-years I came up with a nice CVW8 sticker & patch collection for my ship Nimitz 1/350 period 1980/82. A VF-84 and VA-35 patch are very hard to find. I did managed to get real beauties like VA-82/VA-86/HS-9/VS-24/VAQ-134/VAW-112.

Its a good thing to collect.

Duncan

Edited by cag_200
  • 2 months later...

I purchased a patch absolutely identical to that directly from the VF-84 geedunk when I was in high school - around 1977-78. Considering it came directly from the squadron, I don't consider it a "reproduction" in any way.

They're used to be a embroidery place near NAS Oceana back I guess in the late 80's early 90"s that did those screen printed patches with the merrowed edge. I am at work now or I would dig through my F-14 stuff..

• 2 years later...

First, I wouldn't think a squadron would use printed/silkscreened patches.

More importantly, you can't figure the patch by the sign used in the Ready Room; for example, here's a shot from their RR in late 1961 when they flew F-8 Crusaders. You can see both the large and small emblems on the podium are pretty much identical in style as the one you posted above (both patch and on the door from the movie). Yet at that time their patch was almost nothing like the emblem on the podium. It was almost the same as the second photo, my late VF-61 patch, except that by that time they'd added "Fighting Eighty Four" script underneath. Otherwise identical.

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

Thank you Andrew

I just wondered what difference there was between a JollyRoger F-4J or a F-14 Fighting 84 patch?

I have seen the F-8 one.

According to the shots taken in the Final Countdown the third patch match. The fourth picture (patch) is unknown to me. However this 4th patch came from a ex astronaut who's flightsuit was stripped he flew with vf-84 (and  came with a cvw8 patch). The name of the astronaut was mentioned and it came from an estate (he apparently died or moved to another place outside FL, who knows?).

They flew the F-4 long enough that I'm sure there were several variations, just as the Tomcats. Here are some shots showing what they were wearing in '75 when they flew the F-4N; very, very different design, judging by the skull, plus the fact that it appears to say "Jolly Rogers" on the bottom instead of the usual "Fighting 84":

VF84NewsLetter-28June75-p-06a.jpgVF84NewsLetter-28June75-p-07c.jpg

Wow, a F4N patch reads Jolly Rogers. Thank you for Posting Andrew. 

Oke so its not a F4 patch.   

These pictures below I got from the cruisebook USS Roosevelt era 1970~75.

JR_C_zpsepipdhva.jpg

JR_A.jpg

The Guy at the left (photo) is wearing the patch below.  

JR_F4_zpsaneuw6za.jpg

Edited by cag_200
  • 3 years later...

Hello sorry for the necro: To awswer about screen patches. Yes, Those VF-84 screened patches were used during the early Tomcat days: and yes Nimitz days. Your other style: tradionnal Schiffli style are also early US made from F-14 Tomcat era. Those are really rare now. Hope that help

Cool, hehe...I will sew em on my pyjama.  I wonder if Nimitz patches will ever be rare?  When the ship gets scrapped, guess everyone forgets about it later.
Especially when generation X retires and generation Z doesn't give a S**t about it.

1 minute ago, cag_200 said:

Cool, hehe...I will sew em on my pyjama.  I wonder if Nimitz patches will ever be rare?  When the ship gets scrapped, guess everyone forgets about it later.
Especially when generation X retires and generation Z doesn't give a S**t about it.

Oh no don't do that ^^ : Those are fine collectibles. Many US Navy patch collectors out there would be happy to have those: like me^^ I have some 6 varitions of those VF-84 patches but not those.

• 1 month later...