1/72 Dragon mercury redstone

I have been eyeballing this kit as well. It seems to have sold out everywhere after its initial release, so Dragon must have under estimated demand. In any case, it is due for re-release in the coming months, so we just need to be patient. If you have to have a Mercury Redstone NOW, then you can get a resin one from RealSpace Models. They make a 1/72 and 1/144 version.

Thanks DutyCat!

I have this pipe dream of displaying U.S. spacecraft is 1/72. I'm currently working on a shuttle stack (with your beanie cap) & a Dragon Saturn V, and I'm hoping to pick up a realspace Gemini Titan and Dragon Mercury Redstone. I think they would look awesome together in an Ikea display case (Not sure if the shuttle stack would fit though).

Glad to hear Dragon is planning on popping more of them out.

I checked with my LHS today. The restock of these is planned for late August/ early September. That reminds me I need to finish mine. My hope is that the next production batch includes both the capsule heat shield and retro-rocket pack, since Dragon clipped these off the sprue in the last batch. Sure, you don't need them to build the model as a Mercury Redstone, but SOME of us want the capsule and I doubt Dragon is going to offer just a capsule by itself (unless it is a two pack perhaps).

Pre-builds are good, but I AM a "model builder" and not necessarily a collector. Plus, it is nice to save a little money on the purchase when I can do the work myself.

Jay, you have certainly hit the nail on the head. As builders, it is all about the building experience. I could care less about collecting diecasts or pre-assembled, pre-painted models. Those completely miss the point.

One of the trends that bothers me is that toy manufacturing technology is approaching the point to where a very accurate replica of something can be made without a person having to buy a model, assemble, and paint it. Back in the old days, that was not possible. If you wanted a faithful replica, it took a kit and the hands of an experienced craftsman. One could argue that that is still the case today, but more and more, people seem to be finding that a "good" diecast, pre-painted, or pre-built is good enough. They make few model trains anymore. They make few new motorcycle models anymore. I walk into the model section at Hobby Lobby, and I see Kawasaki and Suzuki dirt bike models that are simplified, minimal parts, pre-painted models that require very little time and effort to put together, but yet are very accurate and look very good. In today's world, "quick and easy" is a big draw for our rapid paced, time compressed lives. This is especially true for the younger folks, who have few experiences that teach patience and attention to detail.

Edited by DutyCat

Thanks DutyCat!

I have this pipe dream of displaying U.S. spacecraft is 1/72. I'm currently working on a shuttle stack (with your beanie cap) & a Dragon Saturn V, and I'm hoping to pick up a realspace Gemini Titan and Dragon Mercury Redstone. I think they would look awesome together in an Ikea display case (Not sure if the shuttle stack would fit though).

Glad to hear Dragon is planning on popping more of them out.

1/72 is great, but if you want to represent more than just the main US rockets, you have to go 1/144. For example, there is very little of the Russian stuff available in 1/72 that I am aware of, but their efforts are an important part of space history. I teach an aerospace history course in high school. In addition to the US stuff, I want to have models of the Soviet era Vostok, N-1 moon rocket, Energia-Buran, and Proton. All of the American and Russian stuff is a decent size in 1/144, except Mercury Redstone and maybe Atlas.

Still, I understand the appeal of the bigger kits, and I do have the Dragon Saturn V coming, as well as the ongoing 1/72 Shuttle Wars project. However, they will be "stand alone" presentations.

Edited by DutyCat

Hi Guys

Mach Models issue the Semiorka Russian rockets in 1/72 scale. They do appear to be the correct profile/dimension as well. Have Sputnik 2 in front of me. Has the potential to make up into a decent model when super-detailed. Have had the 1/72 Mecury Redstone on order for about three months also.

Patience hath its reward.

Cheers

John

Edited by johnbuck