German Horten Go 229

Hey Gang,

I am thinking about building some flying wings and I was wondering if US Forces ever captured any German horten Go 229 flying wing and tested it with US marking? If so, does anyone know what marking it carried? Any tips will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Mike

Bah... That video is much like what's wrong with the History and Discovery channels as of the mid 2000s... They tried to post-facto glorify the nazi war machine to make it omniscient or prescient and far ahead of its time -- basically spinning utter BS and making false connections and conspiracies that don't exist.

The fact is the Horton would never have worked. They couldn't even have produced it, but had they produced it the results would have been subpar and less than what the requirement called for.

The Germans had many interesting and innovative designs, especially with some of their jets... but they also had millions of pipe dreams that failed miserably because they were lead by a fanatic lunatic that thought the laws of science didn't apply to them. I don't see why they keep glorifying the latter at the expense of the former!

Oh, and don't get me started on the whole "stealth" BS from ww2... According to them the stealth war was in full swing when in fact they barely had proper understanding of RCS and minimizing it. It was made out of wood for the same reason the Mosquito was! They were short on metal! Radar absorbancy wasn't even part of their language at the time!

It *IS* a very interesting subject to model, but as far as the history of it? Shows like that are a slap in the face of historic facts.

Interesting take at it Mark. I don't have any knowledge on this beside it was an experimental aircraft. As you said, "very interesting subject for modeling." Anyway, thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

Indeed, that video is a big pile of malarky. Been a while since i watched it, but i remember there was bunch of mistakes and conclusions based on nothing.

It was made out of wood for the same reason the Mosquito was! They were short on metal! Radar absorbancy wasn't even part of their language at the time!

Not to mention tens upon tens of thousands of fighters made out of wood in Soviet Union before, during, and even some years after WW2...

Yeah, I should have said it was interesting in the fact that they made a 1:1 scale model and not that the Nazis were thinking of stealth technology when they were getting their a***s handed to them by the time the 229 was being drawn up and built. Sorry for being misleading.

The history of the aircraft after it came into American hands is very sketchy. There are pictures of it when the center section was captured, when it was first brought to America, and sometime in 1946 when it was taken out of the hanger for a show for the press. Those last photos seem to show it was unpainted and unmarked.

The V3 prototype was finished after it was brought to the United States. At some point in 1946 the left wing was reskinned, so it has slightly different panel lines.

This video is supposedly the aircraft flying in the United States (and given what you can see of the ground, it seems believable). You can't tell anything about the paint or marking scheme from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBnBSJ9bz3A

And simply observing that there is no place for a bomb bay should put aside any talk of stealth.

Very interesting (though SHORT) clip. I would agree it looks like it could be US geography. The look of the hangar buildings makes me think of US industrial, rather than war-time nazi.

I don't have much info on the aircraft. But on the topic of modeling, you might want to google uschi van rosten, he has a diorama of the horten in a hangar. It's quite a look.