Revell's Documentary on Making Molds, circa 1991

I just thought you guy's would like to see this in action. This is an old educational/promotional video that shows the mold makers using pantographs and giant masters.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. The mould that they are designing on the CAD workstation around 5:37 looks like ProModeler 1/48 P-47N, which must be about right for the timeframe. And I might be mistaken, but it looks like the Catalina moulds that are taking shape around 6:20.

Cool and interesting video ... Thanks for posting it ...

It's later than 1991 though, they show a Star Trek Voyager kit at one point and I believe that show didn't start airing until 1995 or so ...

-Gregg

Interesting tidbit about revell-o-gram producing 10 000 000 car kits in 1991. I'd love to know how many they are producing now. The sad part about that video is that the majority of those jobs shown in the video are now offshore.

I was thinking the same stuff. Yeah the plant in the video is closed down now and set up off shore now. Meh, such is life. But maybe in time as the gap between manufacture in the East narrows to the West this sort of stuff may come back.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

I miss the days when I walked into a store and saw all of those old Monogram planes, cars and even armor kits. That was back in the 80s when I was a kid. I enjoyed looking at the boxes, some with art and some with photo images. Back in the days when I was a kid.