Can somebody steer me to a reputable source for Cutting Edge or Rhino (or other recommended) seamless intakes (OTHER THAN EBAY) for 1/32 Acad F/A-18C/D and Tamiya F-4J? I've tried the big houses and come up with zip. I was reading some old posts and saw that these may be pirated mods that show-up on eBay.

Thanks!

Hello,

Would you please add scale to your title? This will help you target the right people here and get a faster answer ;) I have unfortunately no idea, I do only 1/72...

Arnaud

I've used the Rhino models on my Academy 1/32 F18 & Tamiya F4J and bought them off Ebay Rhino models site

I have also used them on my current project 1/32 F4C/D Tamiya

No fit problems at all

Cutting Edge you will find on Ebay at times

Greg

Driver,

If you didn't get any of those Cutting Edge intakes prior to Dave shutting down Meteor then your only option is Ebay for those intakes. Be warned that the Cutting Edge stuff on Ebay will require deep pockets especially the 1/32nd scale stuff. You should be able to score a set from Rhino as most if not all of his auctions are BUY IT NOW. I have his 1/48th set for the Phantom and they look GREAT! Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

"Rhino" is a person whose real name is Paul Miller.

About three years ago this person was selling direct fake copies of various intake sets by DMold. Then, when the truth became known via a board on this forum, ads by this person disappeared from eBay. But not for a long time. In a couple of months after that a'new' producer, "Rhino Modelworks" has appeared with his ads on eBay again. These ads included a 1/32nd F-18 intake set in particular again but different from the original set by DMold these parts were entirely casted and were wider in the rear end to fit an engine face part there. From the first sight there was no obvious commonality with the set by DMold and initially nobody knew who was this "new" producer. But thanks to regular visitors of ARC forum, his name became ultimately known. This was the same Paul Miller character again. Now there is 100% guaranty that this F-18 intake set is a fake copy of the set by DMold with the only difference that the parts were just glued together and heavily puttied around the seams before making the molds. Then it was exposed under steam for a couple of minutes and the rear end of the ducts was made wider to use the turbine face. He had to add this turbine face as an extra part to the set and voila! A "new" F-18 intake set appeared on the market.

Overall in fact, there is not a single one truly original set made by this person and the list of the 'Rhino' sets and their origin is listed below:

1/32 scale.

F-4 - assembled from the kit parts.

F-15 - assembled from the kit parts.

F-8 - assembled from the kit parts.

F-18E - assembled from the kit parts.

F-18C - slightly modified fake copy of DMold set.

F-18C nozzles - a fake copy of an older Korean producer.

1/48

A-7 - a mix of a fake copy of older Seamless Suckers duct and Aires nose wheel well.

F-8 - a fake copy of Cutting Edge set.

F-4E/E - a fake copy of an older Seamless Suckers set.

F-4J - a fake copy of DMold set.

S-3 intakes - a fake copy of Cobra Company set.

F-18E - assembled from the kit parts.

This is preliminary information only (99% accurate) and some corrections on one or two estimates are possible.

With the Nat's rolling in the Sierra Hotel Models intakes will be available.

Rhino S-3 intakes are a copy of the SHM sets.

Also I have a set of Rino 1/32 F/A-18 intakes and there is a big blob of who knows what inside the intake, it was not a good master.

Rhino 1/32 F-15 and F-18 intakes were plaged with very heavy scratches inside.

Curt

1/32 F-18 & F-15 trunks

The blob

Picture209_zps19aa347b.jpg

Wash board and scratches

Picture207_zps6c8de4e4.jpg

DSCF2315_zps4be91abe.jpg

allot of distortion causing a poor fit of the engine turbine

DSCF2335_zps28e72b82.jpg

DSCF2344_zps9d53fe38.jpg

scratches and pits

DSCF2339_zpsa50f74c4.jpg

Edited by Netz

Mikes concentrating on the 1/32nd scale stuff, but till Mike hands me the molds I can't say when they will be ready....

Curt

I'm not trying to defend Rhino or their business practices, past or present, I'm only going to say that the copies I have don't look as bad as Curts examples. Like I menioned earlier I have both the Dmold Hornet intakes as well as the Rhino ones. These are recent purchases within the last month:

F/A-18 from Rhino, mine don't have that molding blob at the compressor side that Curt's had. Not clear in my pics but mine also do have the scratches running the length that Curt described, although I don't think they're that severe in my samples. Dmold interiors don't have any scratches that are obvious to me. Here is the Rhino set:

DSC00017_zps1cd38709.jpg

Here are the Rhino left intake part on the left and DMold on the right for comparison:

DSC00018_zpsa9445ea1.jpg

My F-15 Rhino intake samples also appear to be better than Curt's overall, again mine do have some scratching but the compressor ends are much more circular than his and I don't have the distortion (the middle two pics are grey molded resin, the first and fourth are white resin):

DSC00021_zpsca12a6ef.jpg

DSC00020_zps58aafe44.jpg

DSC00019_zps499376f3.jpg

DSC00022_zpsa19d08da.jpg

Edited by Steve Belanger

I understand, you see what you see and probably it is difficult for you to understand where the problem is. Well.

On the right hand side of the picture is the original intake by DMold and the same DMold part is at the left side of the picture but after some work with a file along the upper edge

and intake lip. The only difference of the latter part from the part on your picture now is that the part modified by me does not have an etched plate in front of the intake lip.

DMold%20modified%20part.JPG

etched%20plate.JPG

The idea to use the etched part was obviously taken by him from HERE

Overall, the major part of any intake set is a profiled duct ONLY. Making the ducts is the major and hardest work in creating these sets. Once you do have a set like this you can then make as many changes externally as you want and therefore there is no sence to try to compare exteriors of the parts. This fake F-18 set which is simply mutilated DMold set is a typical example.

Edited by Dimitri

I've used the Rhino models on my Academy 1/32 F18 & Tamiya F4J and bought them off Ebay Rhino models site

I have also used them on my current project 1/32 F4C/D Tamiya

No fit problems at all

Cutting Edge you will find on Ebay at times

Greg

Thanks Greg big help!

Kevin

I understand, you see what you see and probably it is difficult for you to understand where the problem is. Well.

It would seem that is directed at me like I'm ignorant and can't fathom the situation. I never stated or implied that I doubted theirs to be modified copies of your intakes (which I have two of, and would like couple more). I even said I wasn't trying to defend them. My intention was to only post pics and state that the Rhino quality on the one I had wasn't as bad as Curt's and also show a pic (with no comments) of the inlets. I even said that your intakes were clean inside, whereas the Rhino ones had scratching.