I bought a new PC back in June which came with a free 60 day trial of the Norton Internet Security program. I've been using it since then & the free trial is about up and wonder if its worth keeping or should I go back to what I was using before, which was the Kasperski?

I've used Norton in the past & this newer version seems to be alot better than I remember it being.

Norton is the biggest waste of hard drive space out there - right next to McAfee and Trend Micro. The only good thing Norton has going for it is clever marketing. It's product couldn't catch a cold in a snow storm.

Kaspersky is OK but personally, I would go with the combo of Avira's Antivir and Malwarebytes.

I use AVG free. Been using it for years as well. I love it. Been bug free for years. Get rid of Norton, Kasperski, etc. Way too much good freeware out there to pay bucks for those programs.

Been using Sunbelt's "VIPRE" suite for four years. Not a single bad thing has gotten through it, and the cost is very reasonable. It also has a very very low impact on the system, unlike the big named AV suites, no annoying pop up ads or stupid gimmicky alarm sounds, etc.

Hey guys, as many of you know, I'm by no means a 'puter guru. I have AVAST and Superantispyware, seems to be working fine for the last 2 years. Opinions please. But one thing seems to be a sure bet on this thread, Norton sux and stay away!

Chuck

I used AVG free for years but they updated the software repeatedly and it became bloated and they stuck on adware notifications and other nonsense. I moved to AVAST free and haven't regretted it one bit.

I also have malwarebytes, but not running on startup. I run it as I need, rather than letting it run as constant process.

Microsoft security essentials. Using on 4 computers, no issues of any kind.

This. It's the simplest way to go and it works.

But the main way to avoid viruses is to use trusted web sites, not open executable files from emails, and not pirate software.

Avoid MS virus protection. I wouldn't trust them to balance a spreadsheet without tons of bloat and errors, let alone rely upon them, no DEPEND upon them, for any kind of system safety.

I've been using Norton for the last three years with no issues. I love it! If it takes up a lot of space, I'd never know it. I'm no where near using all of my disk space. If disk space is a concern for you, it's cheap enough to buy extra.

Norton is 1 step removed from being a virus itself. So many times a system with Norton running has become infected without Norton ever acknowleding a virus is doing some major stuff to the system. Install Malwarebytes or AVG and it finds and cleans half a dozen MAJOR viruses that Norton ignored....

THEN you cannot uninstall Norton. It is as pervasive as a rootkit. The only way to fully remove Norton's tendrils from your system is a full reformat and reinstall of windows, and simply leave Norton OFF next time around.

Avoid Norton. This from many years of experience before I wised up.

I've used Norton off and on for years, used it for 4 years straight with no issues. I run maxed out machines on 2 computers and never notice a resource issue...my laptop and my main machine, current version even runs fine on my hobby room desktop that's 5-6 years old and a XP machine still

*sneaks into room, stands on chair*. "GET A MAC!!!!!" *Hauls *** out the door!*

Macs are great, I have one in my kitchen, and one in my hobby room. I just jammed them under the short legs, and my tables never wobbled again.

I used AVG free for years but they updated the software repeatedly and it became bloated and they stuck on adware notifications and other nonsense. I moved to AVAST free and haven't regretted it one bit.

I also have malwarebytes, but not running on startup. I run it as I need, rather than letting it run as constant process.

Norton is 1 step removed from being a virus itself. So many times a system with Norton running has become infected without Norton ever acknowleding a virus is doing some major stuff to the system. Install Malwarebytes or AVG and it finds and cleans half a dozen MAJOR viruses that Norton ignored....

THEN you cannot uninstall Norton. It is as pervasive as a rootkit. The only way to fully remove Norton's tendrils from your system is a full reformat and reinstall of windows, and simply leave Norton OFF next time around.

Avoid Norton. This from many years of experience before I wised up.

I walked this very road.

Ken