1/72 Heller Saab AJ-37 Attackviggen.

Hi again! Finally here is the last of the four Viggens of my long-term project, an AJ-37 armed with two Rb-04 missiles and with the tail fin on folded position.

Enjoy the photos:

SAM_6739_zps426af03a.jpg

SAM_6740_zps5cf8d053.jpg

SAM_6744_zps4c291194.jpg

SAM_6746_zpsd3e2fabe.jpg

SAM_6747_zps4786e79a.jpg

SAM_6750_zps68a47188.jpg

SAM_6751_zps9abd6610.jpg

And finallysome group pics of the quartet:

SAM_6753_zps33263fa6.jpg

SAM_6754_zpsb77a8ffd.jpg

SAM_6756_zpsd874f71e.jpg

I will try to build a kind of diorama with this bird but by now that is done! Hope you like it.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as always.

Have a nice summer everybody.

Juan

Juan, your 4th Viggen is just outstanding. The detail and execution of the folding tale really sets it apart from the other 3 Viggens in your collection. The complex camo paint scheme is just perfect. Well done.

Since this is critique corner I have to criticize something... well... mmm... I know... the canopy is 1 degree off... there you have!

There's nothing to say about your models they all look awesome you should feel very proud of your work, congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I returned from holidays last week and thought that I should say many thaks everybody for your kind words and your comments. It has been a real privilege to have shared this project with all of you, guys!

RGDS

Juan

• 3 months later...

Wow! That is very very nice! I also had no idea the tail fin could fold like that! I wonder why they built it that way? Anyway, it looks awesome! Well done.

So that it could be dispersed into caves.

The Swedes had a policy of building motorways (highways, turnpikes ?) that, in certain places, had a long, wide straight section enabling fighters to land on for dispersed base operations.

Taxiways led from the 'runways' to caverns where the fighters would be housed in times of conflict.

A long time ago I had the idea of doing just what Juan has done - so I wrote to the Swedish AF - and they very kindly sent me a set of B&W close-up photos of the fin fold.........

viggen_finfold_01.jpg

viggen_finfold_02.jpg

viggen_finfold_03.jpg

viggen_finfold_04.jpg

viggen_finfold_05.jpg

I don't think the feature was used very often - but it was there if needed...

Ken

Thanks Ken! A fountain of information as always. Looking at the photo's it seems Juan you have made a very accurate representation of the folding tailfin. And in 1/72 no less! Really nice work! Was this scratch built or a kit option?

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

The foldable fin was there to enable the Viggen to use undreground hangars that were available at some air bases. It also enabled the use of older hangars should it be required (as it was on some occations).

A typical underground hangar can be visited in Göteborg on the Swedish west coast. The airplane museum Aeroseum is housed in such a facility. The hangar was built to withstand an attack by nuclear weapons, and large enough to fit an entire wing, including maintenance resources.

Forgot to add that there are a few Viggens there, and I think one of them has the fin folded. But my memory could be wrong.

Edited by erik_g