Tamiya 1/350 U.S.S. New Jersey

It's been quite some time since I posted a build thread and it's about time I did. There's not a lot of ship building done on this site (Air Resource Center, go figure ;)/>/>/>) but I figure it can't hurt to dabble in other topics.

I've had the New Jersey for about 2.5 years now, waiting to be built. In that time I had picked up Eduards photoetch set for it, replacement turned brass barrels from B&D Barrels as well as Pontos Models scale wood deck. Pontos has released a full upgrade set since, which probably includes even more than what I've already purchased, sadly. Good thing I have the Missouri in the stash as well!

So, while the wife was out at the local amusement park, I sat down and finally got back into the swing of things. Since buying a house and moving in last April, I never really set up a "man cave/work bench. So, what better place than our dining room, since it is flooded with light all day?! I started work on the turrets, figuring this would be a simple, easy start. 5 hours later, I have one "mostly" done. Not three, one. I've never worked with PE this tiny and I really think I've going cross eyed while working on it! 33 and the eyes are toast! :)/>/>/>

To start, I began removing the ladders from the turret #2

_DSC4117.jpg

I smoothed out the areas where the ladders had been, then began bending up the PE. TINY!

20130728_151348.jpg

After that, attachment began.

20130728_152950.jpg

20130728_172242.jpg

20130728_172257.jpg

20130728_163736.jpg

I started next on the barrels....well, one so far. I removed the plastic barrel and drilled out the blast bag to accept the new brass barrel.

_DSC4120.jpg

And here's where we ended for the day. I will be working on improving the seal between the blast bag and barrel, since it should be flush and now gap. That's for the next work session.

_DSC4122.jpg

One question, if anyone knows. Eduard provides rails that go around the top of the turret, but I can't find any picture of the real thing with these rails. Are they fictitious?

This is going to be a long term build, as there is so much PE for this ship. I'm just glad I finally started it! Though, I might have to build a F-4 or my Eurofighter as a distraction!

Feel free to comment, critique, say hi, whatever.

Thanks

Brett M

PS, mods, if I'm not allowed to post this in here, that's fine. Figured it might actually get looked at here versus the ship section on ARC. :)

Edited by Brett M