Tamiya 1/350 U.S.S. New Jersey

Howdy neighbor (Idaho) !

Just found and read your thread. Awesome progress you're making there, dude 70.gif .

I too have this kit and will definitely use your thread as a reference source as I'm not a ship builder.

I plan to do the same thing you're doing (AM PE, wood deck etc) .

Are you going to do any kind of shading of the structure above deck? To give it some depth.

I might bite the bullet and invest in getting the 1/200th Trumpeter USS new Jersey and go hog wild with it; Ponto kit the costs as much as the model! I really want to do a WWII version.

BTW; Where in UT are you? I have family in Draper that we visit a couple times a year.

Outstanding!

Thanks!

You actually give the carpet monster a bath?

Only the live version ;)

Howdy neighbor (Idaho) !

Just found and read your thread. Awesome progress you're making there, dude 70.gif .

I too have this kit and will definitely use your thread as a reference source as I'm not a ship builder.

I plan to do the same thing you're doing (AM PE, wood deck etc) .

Are you going to do any kind of shading of the structure above deck? To give it some depth.

I might bite the bullet and invest in getting the 1/200th Trumpeter USS new Jersey and go hog wild with it; Ponto kit the costs as much as the model! I really want to do a WWII version.

BTW; Where in UT are you? I have family in Draper that we visit a couple times a year.

Thanks! Better get started on yours!I haven't been doing any shading on this one, as I figure/hope that with all the different angles, it'll have even dark areas to have enough depth on it's own. We'll see!

The 1/200 kit would be great to have, especially combined with that Pontos kit.....I've drooled looking over all the bits that it includes! I've got a 1/350 Missouri kit in WW2 dress that is waiting for me.....after my Reliant, Typhoon, Tomcat, Phantom, French Tank.....etc......etc......:)

I'm just in Millcreek, about 20 minutes north of Draper on the freeway. Still just a suburb of SLC!

More progress, even if it's slow to come.

PSX_20150517_163444.jpg

PSX_20150517_163536.jpg

Overall show of how things are coming along.

PSX_20150517_163420.jpg

Almost to the point of starting to use the Pontos decking....... :twitch:

Comments are welcome!

Brett

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4 month gaps are normal on updates, right? I haven't really done a lot with the New Jersey, but I figure.....wooden decks, share! Since the weather is getting colder, more time spent indoors = more model building! (Just ignore that I built the U.S.S. Reliant and half a MH-60G in that 4 month gap ;))

New work done, let me know if you see errors.

PSX_20151018_151826.jpg

PSX_20151018_162746.jpg

PSX_20151018_162618.jpg

And off topic, here's the Reliant

0809151813.jpg

Late to the party here but this ^^^ is some awesome work :thumbsup:/>! Well done.

Regards,

Don.

Looking great Brett. Which time frame are you going with? With the CIWS it has to be late in her life. Keep up the great work sir.

Don

Thanks Don and Don! Don #2, I'm going with the most recent "modern" refit in the '80's for the New Jersey. I'll keep doing what I can, slowly ;)

Not an error but curious how you will do bridge windows.

Not really sure as of yet. I don't have anything for an interior, so I might just use black with a drop of clear in each window. The decks surrounding the windows aren't glued together yet, so plenty of time to adjust.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More work being done on the New Jersey. Another deck with completed railings, tiny ladders in between decks (lost one somehow, looked like it was cut from the PE....but I don't remember ever removing it :(). Getting there.

Feel free to point out any errors I need to fix!

PSX_20151129_154411.jpg

PSX_20151129_155224.jpg

Tiny, little ladders....hidden in there. I'm glad that the ship isn't this big since I can see some rough work I did! ha

PSX_20151129_155335.jpg

Looking great!

How did you paint the bridge windows to get only the windows, straight lines, and sharp corners?

Also, a lot of things are on the turret---what were the separate parts vs molded in?

Tempting kit.

Hey Rich

The bridge windows I used thinned Model Master Insignia Blue to drop the paint in and let capillary action flow it around. I had to do this twice to get them dark enough, with some needing one more drop of paint.

As for the 2nd turret, all of the ladders were molded on, which I removed and added as PE. The two hoists on the left of the image were separate, as were the director "ears" at the back of the turret. Those ears also have PE added to them as well. Everything else on the top was molded on by Tamiya.

Hope that answers it for you.

Brett

• 4 months later...

Random up date from out of the blue! Just a little work done from today. I I finished railings on the lowest deck in the images. Added the baskets for the life rafts. And, fixed all the PE that popped off when I tipped the super structure over on my work desk. Thankfully, nothing shot off into the carpet!

As for the life rafts, I seem to recall seeing these a blue color? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks, comments are welcome!

PSX_20160424_154001.jpg

PSX_20160424_154046.jpg

A bit more progress from over the weekend. I didn't have as much time as I'd like to work on the ship, but progress is progress!

Main mast progression. I'm not looking forward to assembling the radar and associated PE bending/shaping.

PSX_20160509_061305.jpg

PSX_20160509_061339.jpg

I still need to remove the raised lines on the upper director....things to do. Also, moved/added the antenna mounts by the upper bride windows after finding I had it wrong.

Comments are more than welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some more progress for today. Radar done and attached. Window repair begun. Riggin begun.

Let me know what you think!

PSX_20160528_120604.jpg

PSX_20160528_120643.jpg

PSX_20160528_130451.jpg

PSX_20160528_165439.jpg

PSX_20160528_165810.jpg

Penny for a friend, who asked how big it was.....ignore!

A bit more work for the day. More rigging, a couple of small plastic details added and a few pieces of PE added that I had waited on till the mast was in. Forward antenna in place, but I think they're over scale and I may want to replace them. I also ordered some steel wire to replace the antenna ribbons. 5" gun started on the port side.

I think I'm going to replace the CIWS with the Veteran Models resin parts. I've already picked up their Tomahawk box launchers....so may as well?

Anything I'm missing or have done wrong? Thanks all!

PSX_20160530_163232.jpg

PSX_20160530_163312.jpg

PSX_20160530_163354.jpg

PSX_20160530_163438.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is looking pretty amazing Brett! Keep up the good work sir.

I have never build a ship kit before yet I have several 1/700 Trumpeter U.S. Battleships in the stash that I have been too afraid to start... Your build might just be the inspiration I need to get to work on one.

-Derek

This is looking pretty amazing Brett! Keep up the good work sir.

I have never build a ship kit before yet I have several 1/700 Trumpeter U.S. Battleships in the stash that I have been too afraid to start... Your build might just be the inspiration I need to get to work on one.

-Derek

Thanks Derek! Hopefully it get's you going. I really need to spend some more time at the bench, since I've made 0 progress since that last post I made lol

Brett

Here's more progress from today. 5" guns assembled, PE added and paint. Too bad the PE isn't really visible, but.....it's the thought that counts.

PSX_20160820_152140.jpg

PSX_20160820_152212.jpg

PSX_20160820_152316.jpg

PSX_20160820_152456.jpg

Comments of course are always welcome. Thanks all!