Tamiya 1/350 U.S.S. New Jersey

Last updates for the main superstructure I've been working on. I'll add the antenna when I'm closer to the end of the build. ECM replaced with the Veteran Models parts, which also came with the SRBOC launchers....haven't decided if I want to do those too.

Anyway, here you go. Please please please let me know if you see something I can change/correct/remove. I have plenty of time and you guys all have the knowledge!

PSX_20160828_160930.jpg

PSX_20160828_160743.jpg

New ECM antenna, with a bent railing....guess I'll straighten that!

PSX_20160828_163032.jpg

And I began on the hull, first by drilling 1/4" holes and then using 5 minute epoxy to secure washers. I'll add the nuts this evening and secure them as well. Then to remove the GIANT seam down the length of the hull. Come on Tamiya....that one is bad!

PSX_20160828_161007.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Managing a little bit of work on the New Jersey over the holiday weekend. Rudder and shafts in place at the rear. Removed the huge seam along the center of the hull, front to rear. Mounted the model to it's base so I'll have a nice solid place to work on it. I've glued the rear decking in place and will glue the center and front deck in next. I think after that, I'll paint the hull (hull red, boot stripe and haze grey) and then begin on the deck.

How she sits currently....

PSX_20160904_153657.jpg

PSX_20160904_153726.jpg

PSX_20160904_155017.jpg

Slightly bigger than my work area.....oops.

PSX_20160904_154933.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone!

• 1 month later...

So, not even close to how I meant to paint the hull, but when the air brush blows up, you find solutions.....in a can of Tamiya Hull Red!

So, overspray everywhere, but not thick. Fine sanding paper smoothed it right out and I followed up this evening by masking and painting the boot stripe. Give it a day or two to cure and then I'll start on the haze grey upper hull. 

Sorry for picture quality, but it's overcast, rainy and DARK out so not much light even in my hobby room. 

29556091072_ba7ce00ef8_b.jpg

Full size
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8198/29556091072_ebdfd7e166_o.jpg

Comments are always welcome

A few in progress shots. Port side hull is painted, and doesn't look too bad. Airbrush malfunction shot a huge blob of acrylic paint all over the stern. Thankfully that cleaned up with no issues. I've begun adding the doors and portholes that are missing (and Eduard didn't include doors, so extras from GMM). Lot's more to do. Quite a few portholes still to drill. I've been working on the bow as well, please let me know if you think the dark area where the anchor chains will be is dark enough....I'm not sold yet. 

It's definitely nice to see it finally looking like a battleship. Makes me want to work more and more on it and get it done. 

Comments are welcome, critiques, tips, etc. etc. etc..

29635150072_c02a37ab43_b.jpg
Larger version
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8366/29635150072_e0c7c81457_k.jpg

29635102212_7beac5510d_b.jpg

29635099952_094a858192_b.jpg

Thanks everyone for following

Portholes, water tight doors and more portholes. That's been my primary work so far this week. I've also begun assembling/gluing the after superstructure to the model so that I can have everything ready for a coat of haze grey....then decking! I also got ahead of myself and added the dry transfer registry number to the bow Of course, now that I look at it, I swear it's too high. Thoughts? 

Thanks for any comments, help, tips, etc. Oh and don't mind my ugly putty job. I'm probably popping those two doors off while I smooth the seam. 

PS, not sure what the camera did, but some of the images appear slightly distorted based on how wiggly the boot stripe looks....weird!

Too high? 
PSX_20160921_070140.jpg 

PSX_20160921_070215.jpg

PSX_20160921_070344.jpg

Very ugly, I know. The starboard side is much cleaner, go figure.
PSX_20160921_070443.jpg

PSX_20160921_070254.jpg

Hi all 

Weekend updates, lots of progress so far. I attached everything I needed to to get the main "structure" sprayed haze grey, attached all the doors from Eduard and the extras from GMM, drilled multiple port holes and sprayed away. Then onto placing the main Pontos decking. If you haven't used their product, I have to throw out my endorsement. So easy to get down and forgiving when you accidentally stick an area down early. Highly recommend! Still more to add, but more to take place first. The rear decking is in progress. Gunship grey for the deck, then a custom mix for the section in between the helicopter deck and the rest.I attached the metal helo deck using a thinned mix of white glue, which worked surprisingly well. I still have to spray the helo deck, as you can see, then do the rear wooden deck as well. But, overall....just getting here is exciting.

Getting there more and more. I'm also considering painting the 16" turrets overall haze grey for a early refit version. I just like the look of the light grey tops...we'll see. 

Please post up if you see something wrong or something not quite right. Plenty of time to fix and change parts. 

PSX_20160925_145213.jpg

PSX_20160925_145306.jpg
Larger version
https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8623/29859138941_ab022f5792_k.jpg

PSX_20160925_145409.jpg

PSX_20160925_144949.jpg

PSX_20160925_145037.jpg

PSX_20160925_145121.jpg

Slightly more progress this weekend, hopefully more tomorrow. I've placed most of the wood decking down and finished painting the helo pad. Painted one turret overall haze grey to decide if I like that better than with the deck grey. I also began working on the area beneath the starboard Harpoon missiles and added stairs, doors and railings. 

Feel free to comment, give opinions, point out errors...whatever :)

PSX_20161001_155617.jpg

PSX_20161001_155501.jpg

PSX_20161001_155413.jpg

PSX_20161001_155317.jpg

Hey everyone. Not a big update from the weekend as I wasn't able to get as much done as I'd like to have (feeling a bit under the weather).

I've been focusing on the starboard side, from the rear super structure forward. Ladders, railings and life rafts attached in some areas, moving forward slowly. 

I included images below of a sort of "in process" for attaching railings. I airbrush them on the PE fret, then remove and attach them to the ship with CA. Afterwards, sand the joint down, brush on Mr Surfacer, sand again, repeat till smooth. Afterwards, mask off areas that I don't want painted and airbrush the railings again with haze grey. 

Anyways.....this is the second time typing all this out since I forgot to hit submit! Back to taking it easy and feeling better!

Comments are always welcome :)

30151003551_f1b9af137a_b.jpg

30236517905_78c1469749_b.jpg

30151004521_0b60c02208_b.jpg

30201714956_375bc05f36_b.jpg

Wow, just wow. It's so nice to come back to a fixed forum and see a bunch of phenomenal updates. Brett- really great work and I envy your straight bends in the PE railing. I think the first 3 or 4 times I used it I could never pull off good 90 degree bends as well as I had problems getting it to stay attached to the deck. Question if I might- what do you use to bend the rails and what's your process for attaching? I've used a needle with small drops of glue followed by spraying hardener so that it stays and stays fast, but I always seem to use just a tad too much glue that paint can't hide.

Great job sir!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 9:24 AM, afterburner said:

Wow, just wow. It's so nice to come back to a fixed forum and see a bunch of phenomenal updates. Brett- really great work and I envy your straight bends in the PE railing. I think the first 3 or 4 times I used it I could never pull off good 90 degree bends as well as I had problems getting it to stay attached to the deck. Question if I might- what do you use to bend the rails and what's your process for attaching? I've used a needle with small drops of glue followed by spraying hardener so that it stays and stays fast, but I always seem to use just a tad too much glue that paint can't hide.

Great job sir!

Thanks! I've been lucky that the Eduard PE I'm using already has the notches for bends in the metal itself. All you have to do is find the right spot, and lightly bend the rail and it takes a perfect bend through all 3 rails. As for attaching, I've been using extra thin CA with some very very tiny tips. I'll place a small drop wherever I'm starting with a rail, then stick a corner down and slowly work my way down the entire PE rail till it's attached. Let it all dry, sand the join and fill any large gaps with more CA and smaller gaps with Mr Surfacer 500/1000. Then it's just smooth it all out. My early ones (top of the super structure) aren't as nice as my later ones.....that's for sure!

Thanks again for watching!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

How are you're eyes holding up?

Working with 1/350 PE railings etc. I have two 1/350 boats that I would like to build but they seem small to me. (USS Quincy and the IJN Chokai)

I am looking at the 1/200 boats and thinking I would like to build the Arizona and/or the HMS Hood. But then getting PE for those

monsters and were right back to the small fiddly bits.

Just thinking out loud........ By the way, nice work on your boat.

Calvin

On 12/7/2016 at 1:36 PM, Mister Mustang said:

Hi,

How are you're eyes holding up?

Working with 1/350 PE railings etc. I have two 1/350 boats that I would like to build but they seem small to me. (USS Quincy and the IJN Chokai)

I am looking at the 1/200 boats and thinking I would like to build the Arizona and/or the HMS Hood. But then getting PE for those

monsters and were right back to the small fiddly bits.

Just thinking out loud........ By the way, nice work on your boat.

Calvin

Hey Calvin

Wellllll, I can tell I need newer glasses and an Optivisor the longer I work on it! But, I'm getting closer and closer. I'd hoped to be done this month, but I took quite a bit of time off the ship. Back on track now and will update with more pictures later on. 

I've really liked the builds I've seen of 1/200 ships, but I have a hard time imagining where I could place them once complete. Someday maybe. Heck, I want to do a 1/32 Su-27 and can't imagine where it'd fit currently at my house....and that's in 2800 sq/ft! 

Thanks again!

Brett

20 hours ago, afterburner said:

Excellent Brett- thanks for the tips! I'm going to brush off a Japanese Battleship from the stash once I finish the current build. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks again! Glad to be of any assistance I can. By chance do you have Yamato that you're dusting off? I'd love to build that one someday. :)

Brett

Hehe- actually it's Hasegawa's Nagato. I managed to pick one up at the Nationals for a really good deal. Now I have to convince someone that I need that FlyHawk super PE kit available for it. Hopefully it'll be around May or June when I can get started. 

On 12/15/2016 at 9:16 AM, afterburner said:

Hehe- actually it's Hasegawa's Nagato. I managed to pick one up at the Nationals for a really good deal. Now I have to convince someone that I need that FlyHawk super PE kit available for it. Hopefully it'll be around May or June when I can get started. 

Awesome, post it when you get going. 

Not much of an update really, but progress is progress. More railing, ladders and life raft buckets and rafts attached. I think I'm too the point of starting the same work on the port side now. 

Feel free to critique and remind me to hurry up! :) 

31374989850_ec49096142_b.jpg

31374990540_117d64d06c_b.jpg

31374991400_16987b002d_b.jpg

31374992010_699204fc40_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Minor updates from the stern. Working weird hours this week, so I finally have some daylight to work with. 

Painted the last of the haze grey on the main deck, laid down the landing pad dry transfer from Pontos and then the last of the wood decking. Not bad I suppose. I'll see what else I can button up on the stern this afternoon when I get home. 

Comments, critiques, tell me I screwed up, always welcome!

31118254504_23bbe6ee44_b.jpg

31958215835_5261da68f3_b.jpg

31584803350_415cd45dea_b.jpg

More weekend updates. Starboard railings attached and paint cleaned up. I don't think I'll attach the nets at the stern till I'm close to completion, as I'm sure I'll knock those off. 

Feel free to comment. 

31920601271_7b28f783e8_b.jpg

31197046604_7667ab39ac_b.jpg

31920600101_3bb19397e6_b.jpg

31197047864_ffb0bd3014_b.jpg

More little updates from Monday. Fire hose and ring buoy's added.....not a lot, but it was a busy day! I'm not sure where all of these are located on the ship, so if you know.....feel free to speak up :)

(pictures taken this morning with the sun down, not great)

32078136885_22caf157bb_b.jpg

31236752594_abd48a3bdb_b.jpg

Edit: Woah, ladder messed up in the second pic....better fix that!

23 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Jeez man...planes I can do, but you are 'WAY beyond what I could ever do to a warship. Amazing work, man!

lol thanks Andrew. This is the first time I've done a ship. I'm used to 1/48th jets and some star ships. This stuff is tiny and is telling me that I need new glasses! ha!